Thread: Rude access

Rude access

Could someone explain to me what rude access is for a VPS server please?

I think you mean root access, this is full administrator access to the server.

I think you mean "root" access.

If that is the case them you will provide with root username / passowrd that will allow you to access a command shell where you can install any needed software.

lol, i must have heard it wrong. I am so dumb!

could someone explain root access to me and why it is important with VPS?

Quote Originally Posted by deaddogdesgin View Post
    could someone explain root access to me and why it is important with VPS?
    You can do whatever you want with root access, you can edit any file you want, delete any file you want with root access.

Root access is the highest level of access. Its sort of like being administrator in windows but it goes much further in Linux. At this level you can make serious and sometimes permanent changes with minimal confirmation. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

whoever gets root access owns your VPS

ok cool thanks. It is true that VPS are more secure than shared. If so how? Sorry about the dumb questions I am a hosting newbie.

HalfDedi.com • Half Dedicated Half Price
    We provide affordable VPS hosting solution Singapore datacenter

I will prefer a VPS more than shared hostingfor security.

Yeah I have heard that a lot too. Some even say that vps has better security vs dedicated because sometimes dedicated servers use old technology.

That's not exactly true, older hardware doesn't really change any level of security. and i would assume a dedicated server would be even more secure as the entire system is yours. Multiple virtual servers run inside one dedicated server.

Actually a VPS is secure only if the owner knows what he has to do and how to do it. So I'm guessing that if you didn't know what root access is, it's best for you to stick with the shared environment at the moment.
    :: AgeVPS.com ::
    :: Fully Managed OpenVZ and XEN VPS servers in Europe or USA ::

With VPS vs Dedicated, from the hosts point of view, a dedicated is much more secure. Take OpenVZ based VEs... Since OpenVZ is just an OS based abstraction, any wayward tech can have full access to your files (pretend you are container 101..) with a simple
    cd /vz/private/101
    Wham. He's in, looking at your files. No logging (for you anyway), and no clue, or way to even know, you are being spied on, even if you are ssh'ed in as root at the time. Any processes or commands ran by him will only show up on the Host machines ps list, not the VPSs processes.
    Hmmmmm. Not to great if you have really sensitive files.

On a dedi, you can be reasonably certain you are private, simply because there is no host OS guesting your box. One root login, which you should control. As far as being vulnerable from the 'net, liability is about the same, depending on what Hypervisor may be in use and it's vulnerabilities.
    Last edited by mugo; 02-18-2010 at 11:15 PM.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Quote Originally Posted by mugo View Post
    With VPS vs Dedicated, from the hosts point of view, a dedicated is much more secure. Take OpenVZ based VEs... Since OpenVZ is just an OS based abstraction, any wayward tech can have full access to your files (pretent you are container 101..) with a simple
    cd /vz/private/101
    Wham. He's in, looking at your files. No logging (for you anyway), an no clue or way to even know you are being spied on, even if you are ssh'ed in as root at the time. Any processes or commands ran will only show up on the Host machines ps list, not the VPSs processes.
    Hmmmmm. Not to great if you have really sensitive files.

On a dedi, you can be reasonably certain you are private, simply because there is no host OS guesting your box. One root login, which you should control. As far as being vulnerable from the 'net, liability is about the same, depending on what Hypervisor may be in use and it's vulnerabilities.
    Couldn't have put it better myself

What about simply encrypting the whole virtual drive? safer than unencrypted dedicated server?

root access simply the ability to control a virtual server or dedicated server directly and have full access to its administration commands.

For Windows server as root access can be obtained by logging in via Windows remote desktop located on your start menu.

For Linux servers a program called putty will allow you to achieve the same result.