hosted by liquidweb


Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Cloud Hosting : Cloud or VPS?
Reply

Forum Jump

Cloud or VPS?

Reply Post New Thread In Cloud Hosting Subscription
 
Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 792

Cloud or VPS?


When I tried to get more info from LiquidWeb's VPS services, they recommended me to take up their Storm On Demand(Cloud Computing).

I tried their livechat, I was addressed by Alex. The responses were quite vague. Simply saying that cloud is better over VPS in everything. This statement seems scary. I tried to place an order, to see the total price payable. The phone number I provided in the first place was incorrect when Alex tried to call me. I gave him another number to call, but kept insisting that I should state that number in the order.

I am looking for a managed service, and has to have cPanel+WHM+Fantastico.

Anyway, is Cloud Computer really better? I am pretty new to this new idea, and would appreciate your feedback. Has anyone used their Storm On Demand services? Are there alternatives?

__________________
Jweeb Solutions
Singapore Web Consulting & Solutions
Web Consulting - Web Hosting - Web Design & Development and more...
http://www.jweeb.com.sg - Making the Web Simple!



Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 944
Whats the application? Are you looking to use it for hosting?

__________________
Twitter: @conrjac

  #3  
Old
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by crj- View Post
Whats the application? Are you looking to use it for hosting?
Yes, I am using it for hosting.

__________________
Jweeb Solutions
Singapore Web Consulting & Solutions
Web Consulting - Web Hosting - Web Design & Development and more...
http://www.jweeb.com.sg - Making the Web Simple!

Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 944
Cloud would be nice, could be a USP.
Clients sites would be a little faster I guess.
Im intrested in getting a cloud server soon.

__________________
Twitter: @conrjac

  #5  
Old
Location = SoapBox
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,428
You can think of a cloud as a specialized VPS. Typically, it allows for portability, ondemand scalability, physical redundancy, more granual, utility type of billing, etc...

Also, a VPS itself has a wide variety of definitions - before you even get to discussing clouds..

You can have software level VPS solutions (things like Virtuozzo and OpenVZ) or hardware level VPS (like Xen), etc...

A cloud will typically be built on flexible and elastic hardware level virtualization.. you can then run software level VPS within it, as well as whatever applications you desire..

  #6  
Old
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by crj- View Post
Clients sites would be a little faster I guess.
Why would the sites be faster than other hosting options?

  #7  
Old
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 21
Go for cloud

Cloud servers will generally be better than VPS for a few reasons:

1. A lot of VPS providers oversell their servers leading to slower performance and bandwidth, cost can be slightly higher, but better performance makes up for the difference
2. Cloud servers are generally auto-provisioning, so you can bring them online faster
3. Cloud servers are usually billed using a utility model, by the hour, so you can save $ if you don't need a server 24x7, or if you need to provision additional servers during peak periods
4. Cloud vendors usually provide more advanced features like backups, server templates, load balancing, firewall, VPNs, etc.
5. Cloud vendors usually provide APIs and tools for integrating external software with their cloud. This can be useful for automation

On the flip side, cloud vendors aren't generally going to hold your hand as much with the setup. You won't usually find CPANEL, Plesk, or phpMyAdmin pre-installed on cloud servers or included in the service fee. You can still install that software, but it will require a bit more know-how.

  #8  
Old
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 608
What I am continuing to find with vps is they are easier to manage and setup, and support is better. I like the idea of cloud, but I haven't seen anything yet that is easy to use.

__________________
PHP Link Directory Script
Easy Profitable 1000s of Sites us phpLD
Hosts We Recommend for Users of Our Software


  #9  
Old
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10
Cloud computing is a fairly recent service offering for most of these providers. You will have to ask yourself if you expect your needs to grow so much that you will require a cloud environment. Most users have managed find without the clouds being around.

  #10  
Old
Web Host Reviewer
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kepler 62F
Posts: 12,275
Cloud and VPS aren't really the same thing. If you want a VPS, get a VPS.
I don't like upselling.

__________________
|| Need a good host?
|| See my Suggested Hosts List || New Editorial: HostGator Alternatives & Who is EIG?
||

  #11  
Old
Location = SoapBox
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngrey View Post
Cloud computing is a fairly recent service offering for most of these providers. You will have to ask yourself if you expect your needs to grow so much that you will require a cloud environment. Most users have managed find without the clouds being around.
well, most users go along fine before the day of control panels, shared hosting, VPS offerings, etc.. peoples requirements evolve and change, as do the offerings out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
Cloud and VPS aren't really the same thing. If you want a VPS, get a VPS.
I don't like upselling.
it is not about upselling, it is all about the right tools for the job..

the cloud is just another weapon in a providers arsenal.. some customers are fine in shared hosting, some simply need isolation and a basic VPS is a good fit, others want elasticity and redundancy - and a cloud is the best fit there... no need to try and fit a square peg into a round hole - find the right solution for a particular customers needs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
What I am continuing to find with vps is they are easier to manage and setup, and support is better. I like the idea of cloud, but I haven't seen anything yet that is easy to use.
I think the industry is starting to see more and more managed cloud providers out there.. sure, if you just need infrastructure and want to manage it all yourself, that is available.. but, more and more companies are surfacing with offerings giving consumers the benefit of the cloud, along with installs, configuration and management they are used to seeing with traditional services..

  #12  
Old
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudharmony View Post
Cloud servers will generally be better than VPS for a few reasons:

1. A lot of VPS providers oversell their servers leading to slower performance and bandwidth, cost can be slightly higher, but better performance makes up for the difference
2. Cloud servers are generally auto-provisioning, so you can bring them online faster
3. Cloud servers are usually billed using a utility model, by the hour, so you can save $ if you don't need a server 24x7, or if you need to provision additional servers during peak periods
4. Cloud vendors usually provide more advanced features like backups, server templates, load balancing, firewall, VPNs, etc.
5. Cloud vendors usually provide APIs and tools for integrating external software with their cloud. This can be useful for automation

On the flip side, cloud vendors aren't generally going to hold your hand as much with the setup. You won't usually find CPANEL, Plesk, or phpMyAdmin pre-installed on cloud servers or included in the service fee. You can still install that software, but it will require a bit more know-how.
I've heard some cloud services have had database sync issues. In most clouds, where does the database reside? On a single server? If so, there's a bottle neck. If the database resides on multiple servers, how do they maintain proper sync?

  #13  
Old
Location = SoapBox
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by accelerated_hosting View Post
I've heard some cloud services have had database sync issues. In most clouds, where does the database reside? On a single server? If so, there's a bottle neck. If the database resides on multiple servers, how do they maintain proper sync?
It does not generally work like this..

Firstly, it depends on what sort of data base you are working with and what inherent limitations that DB type (ie mssql, MySQL, etc) may have...

most importantly though is how things are built..

Some people use a combination of cloud based services for their web content and dedicated nodes for their the DB content - eitherway, I do not see a bottle neck here as its nothing new to have several web servers front ending a DB node..

others will run DB service in the cloud, and replication is not really required as typically data is handled by storage systems - which also handle replication, snap shotting, etc..

bottle necks come into play with anything and everything - if there is not enough capacity, and environments are over allocated - there will be bottlenecks.. this is completely independent of clouds or whatever other environment.. it becomes a provider issue..

the cloud, just as anything else, is dependent on proper resource planning, advanced metrics to predict potential capacity bottlenecks and appropriate infrastructure to scale and add capacity where and when needed - and preferably in a pro-active manner.. as with every other hosting service - there will be good providers and not so good providers and different grades of service.. the good providers will have enough capacity, will predict future capacity requests and prevent bottlenecks strictly based on their business model and philosophy - others will not..

this is no different then any other hosting service that has been a concern in this industry for years and years..

  #14  
Old
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartika-andrew View Post
It does not generally work like this..

Firstly, it depends on what sort of data base you are working with and what inherent limitations that DB type (ie mssql, MySQL, etc) may have...
OK. Suppose I have an application that for each user transaction interrogates a database, obtains a result of typically 10 to 1000 rows of 100 bytes, and uses that to build the response to the user. Each database query accesses a single table and reads all the rows.

1) What transaction rates could I support on shared hosting for $10 per month?
2) What transaction rates could I support on a VPS, at what cost?
3) What transaction rates could I support on a dedicated server, at what cost?
4) What transaction rates could I support on a a cloud, at what cost?

  #15  
Old
Location = SoapBox
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2718281 View Post
OK. Suppose I have an application that for each user transaction interrogates a database, obtains a result of typically 10 to 1000 rows of 100 bytes, and uses that to build the response to the user. Each database query accesses a single table and reads all the rows.

1) What transaction rates could I support on shared hosting for $10 per month?
2) What transaction rates could I support on a VPS, at what cost?
3) What transaction rates could I support on a dedicated server, at what cost?
4) What transaction rates could I support on a a cloud, at what cost?
Hello tim2718281,

this is a pretty specific question and requirement and honestly does not really indicate much outside of this very specific requirement...

Firstly, these results will greatly vary amongst different configurations of the same solution (ie one shared provider to the next and one VPS provider to the next) as it is highly reliant on configurations, etc...

if all you are interested in is transaction rates, then you should go with a local storage model, probably not shared, with SAS drives in a RAID10 array - optimized coding and extensive memory caching... A VPS server utilizing software level virtualization with SATA drives and with shared resources which may or may not be available will perform completely different then hardware level virtualization with guaranteed resources and SAS drives for example...

For this specific requirement, a GOOD, hardware level VPS with guaranteed resources and local storage SAS drives in a RAID10 array would probably be your best bet - but, you would still be bound by the resources available in your instance...

but, the flip side is, if this is a transactional specific requirement - most of these types of scenarios would have seasonal or bursting requirements.. therefore, a cloud solution, even without local storage - may be the best solution as it contains the elasticity and redundancy that is usually required in these types of scenarios even if there is a small performance hit.. Heck, many large transactional companies will have clustering in place where web and DB are separated, knowing full well they are taking a small performance hit, but, benefiting with specialized roles, increased security and resiliency..

If you are really interested in such a specific requirement, you should run some benchmarking for your specific application in certain environments.. and if all you care about is transaction rate - and redundancy or elasticity or anything else do not matter - you will be able to pretty quickly figure out which environment and which solution would work best for your specific requirements.. there really is not a way to generalize this...

as I have said - it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish and which provider you are dealing with.. there are many ways to skin a cat - and rarely does the ideal solution come down to a single simple metric like a specific query rate on a specific table..

Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VPS.NET: VPS Cloud hosting w/ scalable node technology. Build VPS to fit your specs!! lweeks VPS Hosting Offers 0 02-08-2010 02:10 PM
VPS.NET: VPS Cloud hosting w/ scalable node technology. Build VPS to fit your specs!! lweeks VPS Hosting Offers 0 02-01-2010 01:37 PM
VPS.NET: VPS Cloud hosting w/ scalable node technology. Build VPS to fit your specs!! lweeks VPS Hosting Offers 0 01-25-2010 01:18 PM
VPS.NET: VPS Cloud hosting w/ scalable node technology. Build VPS to fit your specs!! lweeks VPS Hosting Offers 0 01-18-2010 12:43 PM
(25% COUPON) Get on the VPS.net cloud! NEW Chicago cloud JUST launched! Thomas VPS Hosting Offers 1 10-29-2009 08:06 PM

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Latest Iteration of UK Government's G-Cloud Initiative to Go Live This Month Web Hosting News 2014-05-02 15:31:14
UK Government Cloud Services Framework G-Cloud 5 Opens Web Hosting News 2014-02-27 11:18:22
VMware Wants Your Customers Blog 2013-09-03 11:24:47
Cloud Converter Launches Free Service for Migrating Cloud Servers Web Hosting News 2013-03-19 11:23:45
Cloud Vendors Form Program to Help Web Hosts Launch Cloud Services Web Hosting News 2012-10-24 16:35:13


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Postbit Selector

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Login:
Log in with your username and password
Username:
Password:



Forgot Password?
WHT Host Brief Email:

We respect your privacy. We will never sell, rent, or give away your address to any outside party, ever.

Advertisement:
Web Hosting News:
WHT Membership
WHT Membership



 

X

Welcome to WebHostingTalk.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

WebHostingTalk.com is the largest, most influentual web hosting community on the Internet. Join us by filling in the form below.


(4 digit year)

Already a member?