View Poll Results: What's your preferred VPS technology as a customer?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Parallels Virtuozzo

7 9.21%
  • OpenVZ

14 18.42%
  • Xen

50 65.79%
  • VMWare

2 2.63%
  • Hyper-V

3 3.95%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Preferred VPS technology.

Just a quick poll - As a VPS customer, what is your preferred VPS technology.

I prefer openvz

Has to be Xen , for it's reliability , stability and usability

Quote Originally Posted by Sposs View Post
    Agreed - Plus Xen is more like having a dedicated server, whereas OpenVZ is more like having a shared one.
    Ben Thomas, Director - BTCentral Web Development Services
    http://www.btcentral.org.uk - Need a custom Web App? Visit us online.

As a customer, Xen or KVM.
    What did you expect was going to happen?
    6sync is where I've made my home ): // @tenkay

I prefer OpenVZ. Very simple and easy to manage

Lots of Xen fans - what control panel would you pair up with it?

SolusVM
    --
    I'm retired.
    Check out http://yellowfiber.net for all your needs!

Virtuozzo...

Quote Originally Posted by Sposs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhPhear View Post
    SolusVM
    It honestly doesn't get much better.

If Solus support is great and the product is very stable.

Still has a few things that need improving/implementing but so far we're very impressed.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

OpenVZ makes VPS affordable
    and yes, Xen VPS is really fast
    I vote for OpenVZ
    /home/linuxclark

So it's clear that Xen is the favourite but is everyone actually using Xen (thinking cost here) or do you actually opt for the cheaper OpenVZ.

Also, what does Virtuozzo bring to the party if Xen out performs it and OpenVZ cheaper? Can't see why a hosting provider would fork out another £100ish per month, per node (depending on containers on the node, this may be more or less)? Looks nice?

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Nutnut View Post
    Most definitely SolusVM - it is an excellent control panel, and really easy to use (both as a system administrator, and end-user) - plus, there's an active development team working on new features all the time, and the support is really good too.

So it's clear that Xen is the favourite but is everyone actually using Xen (thinking cost here) or do you actually opt for the cheaper OpenVZ.
    That will vary from user to user.

Generally, top quality hosts will use Xen, as it (almost) guarantees that you will get the resources the provider states you will have.
    OpenVZ is far easier to oversell on the other hand - which is why unfortunately, a lot of hosts use it.

Let's put it this way, if there were two hosts, with identical plans (ignoring things like customer support etc. for the moment), one offering OpenVZ plans, and the other offering Xen at the same price, I would definitely go for Xen.
    Last edited by BTCentral - Ben; 02-02-2010 at 11:59 AM.
    Ben Thomas, Director - BTCentral Web Development Services
    http://www.btcentral.org.uk - Need a custom Web App? Visit us online.

Voted for Hyper-V !
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 8 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - Fully Managed Windows & Linux Virtual Machines (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

go with xen

xen more advantage to user....go for xen
    ControlVM.com :: Cloud Hosting Reliable Xen VPS :: Serving Customer From More Than 40 Countries.
    Hosting Services Available in the USA ● Germany ● Malaysia ● Singapore and Hong Kong

+1 for Xen - its just more versatile.
    l 201TB.com • 201TB bandwidth as standard in three USA DC’s. KVMoIP, auto reboot & OS install all included - Now available in the Netherlands!
    l udedi.com • UK, USA & NL unmetered 100mb & 1GB 100TB premium bandwidth servers
    l Assiva Ltd • UK Shared & Reseller LiteSpeed • 10 years of hosting • R1Soft

My VPS is on Virtuozzo and it runs great! I would like to try Xen sometime, but as long as they are both "up", how would I tell which is better???
    CapeWP.com
    CapeWP.com - WordPress for all of us

Xen all the way.

not very important to me, what panel it is, or does i even have access to some panel.
    but some ppl like client vps panels, solusvm seems to be one of the currently popular ones.

Another vote for Xen!
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | GigePipe - High Bandwidth Servers | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    Los Angeles, CA (US West) | Dallas, TX (US East) | Ashburn, VA (US East)

Xen is defo winning at the moment
    l 201TB.com • 201TB bandwidth as standard in three USA DC’s. KVMoIP, auto reboot & OS install all included - Now available in the Netherlands!
    l udedi.com • UK, USA & NL unmetered 100mb & 1GB 100TB premium bandwidth servers

+1 for Xen. More isolation from others on the carrier = more stability!

Quote Originally Posted by AL-Benjamin View Post
    +1 for Xen - its just more versatile.
    How so? I assume you've used Virtuozzo and Openvz to say this. I'm keen to hear why it's more "versatile".

Quote Originally Posted by KnownHost View Post
    How so? I assume you've used Virtuozzo and Openvz to say this. I'm keen to hear why it's more "versatile".
    Yes I have; I just feel it is a better container. It is of course my opinion, and nothing more - its not backed by scrupulous market data

Could've include Linux KVM in the poll as well. I know several vendors uses KVM.

Even if KVM is in the list, I'd still vote for Xen.
    SysAdmin.xyz
    Having severs with customer data on it without proper monitoring is like having one night stand without using protections - eventually, there will be an 'oh s**t!' moment.

Quote Originally Posted by AL-Benjamin View Post
    Yes I have; I just feel it is a better container. It is of course my opinion, and nothing more - its not backed by scrupulous market data
    I should have checked your site before asking. You sell Xen VPS's. So that's a no-brainer. For that same reason I will have to say I feel Virtuozzo is better. No real reason other than it's extremely reliable and works like a charm, just my opinion.

Voted for Xen due to its stability and reliability I have both Xen and OpenVZ VPS
    Reviews and Articles of Clouds & VPS Hosting Services within Asia and Oceania Region - https://www.cloudspace.my

Xen / Citrix all the way !
    CloudVPS
    Affordable VPS Servers - Middle East
    High performance | Green technologies

Quote Originally Posted by xtrac568 View Post
    not very important to me, what panel it is, or does i even have access to some panel.
    but some ppl like client vps panels, solusvm seems to be one of the currently popular ones.
    Xen all the way for me again.

Regarding control panels, I like DTC, but in reality a control panel for a VPS isn't used that often after initial setup. As long as it does the essentials, I don't think it matters too much.
    GigaTux, Value Linux Hosting
    UK, US and Germany based Xen VPS. Reliability is key! Quick support response and 99.9% SLA.

While that's true but you need to think long term.

More and more people are using the internet, so the easier to use and the more features the better. When you start getting to 100s, of users it begins to become essential.

That doesn't mean slap together some code and call it a panel so don't take it out of context.

gigatux is right though, usually after initial setup (same goes for dedicated) unless they purchase a managed service, users tend to be able to look after themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Katatonic View Post
    gigatux is right though, usually after initial setup (same goes for dedicated) unless they purchase a managed service, users tend to be able to look after themselves.
    Thanks. I can certainly understand peoples' need for a feature-full control panel within the VPS, one to control the actual VPS need only be relatively simple, with features to:

• Start the VPS
    • Shut it down/destroy it
    • Reinstall an OS
    • Provide access to a console (serial or graphical)
    • (possibly) change IP/rDNS settings
    UK, US and Germany based Xen VPS. Reliability is key! Quick support response and 99.9% SLA.

The latest craze I see is being able to reset iptables when clients lock themselves out.

We use a control panel for the management/deployment of VPSes - it's not so much for end users as most of them don't care about a lot of the features any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Katatonic View Post
    The latest craze I see is being able to reset iptables when clients lock themselves out.
    Ha - I like that! Still, hopefully console access allows this kind of access hopefully (as long as they haven't mucked up /etc/inittab!)

You should really split this up into Windows and Linux VPS.

OpenVZ, I prefer it when the host makes things easy. Fancy panels are always nice.
    Steven Crothers
    No BS cloud engineer and Red Hat architect.

I prefer OpenVZ but due to the popularity of Xen and demand for it, we will be moving towards Xen based virtualization for lower cost offerings.

One thing not really mentioned is to even use Virtuozzo you need to ante up and commit to use it. So this means less will be able to "afford" it. Only a few providers bundle it with their dedicated servers which in turn means you need to pay a nice amount of $$ to just use it by going directly to the vendor. Of course in turn this means less will use it but the ones using it pay big bucks to offer it.

Quote Originally Posted by KnownHost View Post
    I should have checked your site before asking. You sell Xen VPS's. So that's a no-brainer. For that same reason I will have to say I feel Virtuozzo is better. No real reason other than it's extremely reliable and works like a charm, just my opinion.
    I couldn't agree more. VZ has been very reliable, I'm not saying Xen isn't reliable - but VZ has proven itself in our environment and our clients have been pleased. The downside to VZ is it has a high cost associated with it, so if a provider wants to offer VZ, they have to be ready to pony up and commit to spending a fair amount of money. I don't know what their current minimum commitment is, but it is probably fairly high for most smaller providers.
    http://www.futurehosting.com
    Managed, Unmanaged VPS, Dedicated Servers, CDN
    Available locations: Australia, Amsterdam, Detroit, London, Santa Clara, Miami

I'm not sure cost comes into it. Had we thought pvc was better, we would have gone that route - especially given we are largely a plesk house.

I agree xen makes it easier for the smaller players, but equally its not quite so easy as pvc to use if you don't know what you are doing.

xen was the way we went at any rate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast