Wuropean Free Incoming Bandwidth Server Provider

Hello,
    I have tried to search on WHT and few other places but didnt get lucky. I am looking for provider who can provide Gige port and free incoming bandwidth in Europe preferably UK. Or if a provider is willing to work a custom deal with us on that.

Thanks.
    Server4Sale
    Dirt CHEAP Servers coming soon

Whoopsie

Quote Originally Posted by server4sale View Post
    Hello,
    I have tried to search on WHT and few other places but didnt get lucky. I am looking for provider who can provide Gige port and free incoming bandwidth in Europe preferably UK. Or if a provider is willing to work a custom deal with us on that.

Thanks.
    I think you will need to provide more details of exactly what you want, servers, etc., before anyone can provide you with a useful response.
    AUTOLYCUS

All OVH servers have unlimited downstream traffic, only upload is counted towards the monthly traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by mydedis View Post
    All OVH servers have unlimited downstream traffic, only upload is counted towards the monthly traffic.
    Where did you get this information?

Quote Originally Posted by hosteur View Post
    It's a known fact although it's not on their site, but you can email them and ask ovh support: they will confirm. For example see: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3557

It's a known fact although it's not on their site, but you can email them and ask ovh support: they will confirm. For example see: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3557
    Well, as its a none official fact, I cannot take it as it... thanks.

PS: I suppose that you are not a OVH staff? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by hosteur; 01-30-2010 at 01:00 PM.

I can confirm that too. Only outgoing bandwidth is calculated. Incoming bandwidth and internal Ovh to Ovh are free.
    -> Bibihost.com <-> Since 2010 Professional Hosting in EU and USA <-
    -> No cheap stuff, we provide only professional hosting on powerful machines <-> Speed and responsiveness are first priority! <-

Well, as its a none official fact, I cannot take it as it... thanks.

PS: I suppose that you are not a OVH staff? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I'm not.
    But if you drop them an email they will tell you the same thing. I don't know why they don't advertise it on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by tumbano View Post
    I can confirm that too. Only outgoing bandwidth is calculated. Incoming bandwidth and internal Ovh to Ovh are free.
    Can your guys post something ( eg. a email regarding this from OVH ), thanks.

I only know a few from US provider offering free inbound trafix ( SL, SH, etc. )

It's a known fact . <SNIP>
    Quote Originally Posted by tumbano View Post
    Seems sort of dangerous for customers and potential clients to rely on a host's claimed unwritten policy, or even rumors, to figure out OVH's current bandwidth metering terms. If incoming is free, their terms and conditions of service should list this condition. I am always concerned about hosts that have unwritten policies that are not published for everyone to see, but some people seem to know and everyone else is ignorant.

And if OVH changes its alleged free incoming bandwidth billing policy in the future to start charging for incoming, will that be unpublished too? Because OVH does change its terms and conditions of service from time to time. So one day, some customers who relied on these rumors will just be unpleasantly surprised when they get the following months invoice with a big overage for, as of now, metered incoming bandwidth ?

Rather strange way to do business, if you ask me and could be potentially damaging to customers' business model in the future, if they rely on this and it changes without notice.
    Last edited by Autolycus; 01-30-2010 at 02:05 PM.
    AUTOLYCUS

It's on the guide on the OVH Community Forum

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2725

This document was provided by a customer, rather than OVH staff.

However, post 29 in that thread is by OVH UK staff member "Marks":

'With the limitation on the switch, all the bandwidth are running at the switch speed.

'This way, if your server run connected to a switchport at 100Mbps, "OVH to OVH" and "Internet to OVH" will run at 100Mbps too.

'The traffic on those bandwidth doesn't count for your monthly allowance though.

...'

We are working on a new service and need to test it in Europe market. Already successfully tested it in Canada and USA. Issue is that the DC should be able to take huge spikes like 300-400mbps if needed.
    So A company offering dedicated server is ok Or some colo facility which can offer that.
    Thanks
    Server4Sale
    Dirt CHEAP Servers coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by tim2718281 View Post
    It's on the guide on the OVH Community Forum

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2725

This document was provided by a customer, rather than OVH staff.

However, post 29 in that thread is by OVH UK staff member "Marks":

'With the limitation on the switch, all the bandwidth are running at the switch speed.

'This way, if your server run connected to a switchport at 100Mbps, "OVH to OVH" and "Internet to OVH" will run at 100Mbps too.

'The traffic on those bandwidth doesn't count for your monthly allowance though.

...'
    Added:

Also see this post by OVH Staff member "Marks"

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3382

" Re: Bandwidth includes OVH to OVH?
    the monthly traffic allowance is just "OVH to Internet". "OVH to OVH" and "Internet to OVH" is free and not counted.

The information in the manager refers to "OVH to Internet", which is the relevant to know if your server is over the monthly quota.

Hope this helps "

Quote Originally Posted by server4sale View Post
    We are working on a new service and need to test it in Europe market. Already successfully tested it in Canada and USA. Issue is that the DC should be able to take huge spikes like 300-400mbps if needed.
    So A company offering dedicated server is ok Or some colo facility which can offer that.
    Thanks
    OVH or Leaseweb are the best EU providers for servers / colocation

Quote Originally Posted by bernardo11 View Post
    OVH or Leaseweb are the best EU providers for servers / colocation
    If we are only limiting the discussion to those two hosts only, LeaseWeb is clearly one of the best hosts in Europe in terms of quality of network, range of products, and the choice of many economical price points, combined with extremely high technical sophistication. From an international stanpoint, LeaseWeb would rank as one of the top quality global hosts in the world. LeaseWeb, also, owns the very modern green data-center, EvoSwitch.

LeaseWeb also provides full colocation services with ranges from 100Mb/s to 10Gb/s ports and custom configurations. LeaseWeb's peering to Europe and North America is superb. From a price standpoint, LeaseWeb is extremely aggressively priced, when comparing server lines of equal type. Many of LeaseWeb's servers are Class A (Dell/HP), with factory trained engineers and technicians. Switches and routers are the latest and most sophisticated Cisco products.

OVH is nowhere near the same class in quality of network or range of services. It would be like comparing mass with class (or on a quality scale, something like a BMW vs. Fiat, both will get you to the same destination, it is just a question of how you want to go). If you want super-cheap with variable quality to many countries, which OVH doesnt wish to peer with to save costs, OVH may have some merit. If cheapness, is your main criteria, without regard for global network quality, OVH is difficult host to ignore, as long as you can accept its many limitations and drawbacks.

Both companies, LeaseWeb and OVH are large, but OVH is still primarily a French oriented host, while LeaseWeb has more of a global clientele. OVH does operate in some other European countries, but the primary focus of their network is still primarily French, with some peering to the countries in Europe, which they trade in.

Unlike LeaseWeb, OVH does not wish to trade with customers from many countries, even some in Europe, and such large markets as the United States are also completely excluded, because of poor transit quality. You can, of course, try to skirt their restrictions, by going through an OVH re-seller, but you are taking a big risk, because there have been problems with a number of OVH re-sellers in recent years (do a WHT search), who have failed to deliver on services for customers who hoped to get around OVH customer country bans. If you are mainly targetting metropolitan France OVH is fine. However, there are many technical limitations when you consider OVH for global hosting.

All Leaseweb servers have dedicated ports, so you can get the full bandwidth you are paying for. LeaseWeb, also, does offer extremely competitive bandwidth pricing for unmetered dedicated ports. Most OVH servers come with unlimited shared ports only, which tend to limit your bandwidth. Many OVH products now have recently added bandwidth caps to limit the access of their servers to outside locations. OVH does have a few server lines without those restrictions, at a considerably higher premium. However, the transit quality is close to LeaseWeb's superior quality, by any means.

LeaseWeb is clearly the company of choice if you are aiming for a global market, if we are only comparing the two companies. That said, there are other good European hosts, which you may want to consider, so you should check the WHTdedicated offers section for recent sales and ideas.
    Last edited by Autolycus; 01-30-2010 at 07:16 PM.
    AUTOLYCUS

Finally got a official response regarding the FREE inboun trafic:

Bonjour,

J'ai pris note de votre demande et vous remercie de l'intérêt que vous portez à OVH.

La bande passante ne concerne que l'infrastructure OVH vers Internet. Elle ne sera pas comptabilisée pour le trafic Internet vers OVH.

Je reste à votre disposition pour tout renseignement complémentaire.

Cordialement, Alexandre L.
    Code:
    Hello,

I have noted your request and thank you for your interest in OVH.

Bandwidth concerns only the Internet infrastructure to OVH. It will not count for Internet traffic to OVH.

I remain at your disposal for further information.

Sincerely, Alexander L.
    I don't know if leaseweb do the same!?...

Bandwidth concerns only the Internet infrastructure to OVH. It will not count for Internet traffic to OVH.

Slight typo in the translation; it should be

Traffic sent is only from OVH infrastructure to Internet. It will not include Internet traffic to OVH.

Quote Originally Posted by tim2718281 View Post
    Slight typo in the translation; it should be

Traffic sent is only from OVH infrastructure to Internet. It will not include Internet traffic to OVH.
    You may be right, as I just put it into the google translator...