Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1

    Cool MediaLayer - Review

    Hello,

    I just moved from ASmallOrange to MediaLayer. Maybe this review is too premature, but I would like to share what I got so far.

    SUPPORT
    Fantastic. They replied all my tickets fast, and the added value is they not only saying "Yes" or "No", but give brief and detailed information.

    SERVER
    Server is lightning fast. Also, ML use 3 DNS servers in 3 different locations, which is good for DNS reliability.

    CONTROL PANEL
    ML use DirectAdmin. Even I was though it will be hard, but I found I love DirectAdmin over Cpanel (My previous control panel). DirectAdmin is simple, but powerfull.

    MIGRATION
    ML offer free migration, but I prefer to migrate by myself. To make myself familiar with the server and control panel. And the final result: migration is fast and easy. I only need to change path and database details.

    PRICE
    Compared to others, it seem their prices is more expensive. But as far as I got, it worth every single cent.

    MY WEBSITE
    Since it is required, my website: www.midave.com

    MORE UPDATE
    I will update this thread in a month or two.... Or if I ever have any problems, hopefully not.

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Another positive review, I am sure your experience with them will remain pleasant because I've yet to see a negative review about their service. Be sure to post an update in a few months, thanks for sharing your experience
    Wirenine.com Pure SSD Premium DDoS Protected Hosting
    Shared, Reseller, Managed VPS & WordPress hosting 24/7 US based Support
    100% Uptime 60 Day Money Back Guarantee! Tweet us @wirenine Like US on Facebook

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,199
    Thanks for the great review! It's awesome to hear that service at ML continues to be superb.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    3,649
    Yep, great to hear and another DA convert! Most of my clients who have tried DA have loved it too and stuck with it over cPanel. Most of the pro cPanel camp have never tried anything else so a legit comparison cannot be made.

    And congrats to ML for another great review!
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,995
    Great to hear another positive review of ML.

    It seem like their server is not too heavily loaded (as compared to most of the hosting provider you see in ) so that sounds like a good thing.

    Quality always win over quantity.
    Aspiration Hosting | The Managed Cloud Server with Auto Failover
    High Availability Pure SSD CDN & Backups Included Magento Optimized

    NoFrillsReseller.com | Budget Reseller Hosting + 24x7 Live Chat Support

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    15,413
    It's been a while since I've seen a review of MediaLayer but I can't say I'm surprised
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting, LLC - Professional Hosting Solutions
    LiteSpeed Powered - Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    For high-end shared accounts ideal for business, check out our Premium offerings!
    http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Providing Quality Services since 2007

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913
    Great to hear that the start with them is so promising.

    I will update this thread in a month or two.... Or if I ever have any problems, hopefully not.
    I'm looking forward to long term uptime figures as well.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,883
    Thanks for sharing the good impressions on them. I am awaiting more updates in future.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by midavecom View Post
    Hello,

    I just moved from ASmallOrange to MediaLayer. Maybe this review is too premature, but I would like to share what I got so far.

    SUPPORT
    Fantastic. They replied all my tickets fast, and the added value is they not only saying "Yes" or "No", but give brief and detailed information.

    SERVER
    Server is lightning fast. Also, ML use 3 DNS servers in 3 different locations, which is good for DNS reliability.

    CONTROL PANEL
    ML use DirectAdmin. Even I was though it will be hard, but I found I love DirectAdmin over Cpanel (My previous control panel). DirectAdmin is simple, but powerfull.

    MIGRATION
    ML offer free migration, but I prefer to migrate by myself. To make myself familiar with the server and control panel. And the final result: migration is fast and easy. I only need to change path and database details.

    PRICE
    Compared to others, it seem their prices is more expensive. But as far as I got, it worth every single cent.

    MY WEBSITE
    Since it is required, my website: www.midave.com

    MORE UPDATE
    I will update this thread in a month or two.... Or if I ever have any problems, hopefully not.

    Thank you
    Could you please tell me where is your website located? Is it in Los Angles datacenter? Thanks.

  10. #10
    +1 good review for ML, congrats!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,995
    Quote Originally Posted by pengjiayou View Post
    Could you please tell me where is your website located? Is it in Los Angles datacenter? Thanks.
    Yes it appears to be hosted in Los Angeles.
    Aspiration Hosting | The Managed Cloud Server with Auto Failover
    High Availability Pure SSD CDN & Backups Included Magento Optimized

    NoFrillsReseller.com | Budget Reseller Hosting + 24x7 Live Chat Support

  12. #12
    It's very fast here clicking on any items on your site. Great...

  13. #13

    Data Transfer / Bandwidth

    Based on this review I have been checking out MediaLayer. I was liking what I saw until I read the 10GB Premium Data Transfer spec.

    I don't get it. Good cheap shared hosting like 3essentials.com for $4 a month you can get 40 times that. Even Webfaction (another managed shared host) gives you 60 times that for $9.90 a month.

    I contacted MediaLayer sales and they said:
    What you are looking at is a clear case of overselling.
    I must be missing something. Have Webfaction and 3essentials been lying to me? They both have been good for me for years.

    Help. I am confused.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by chitown4 View Post
    Based on this review I have been checking out MediaLayer. I was liking what I saw until I read the 10GB Premium Data Transfer spec.

    I don't get it. Good cheap shared hosting like 3essentials.com for $4 a month you can get 40 times that. Even Webfaction (another managed shared host) gives you 60 times that for $9.90 a month.

    I contacted MediaLayer sales and they said:


    I must be missing something. Have Webfaction and 3essentials been lying to me? They both have been good for me for years.

    Help. I am confused.
    How much BW you used at Webfaction and 3essentials?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashus View Post
    How much BW you used at Webfaction and 3essentials?
    good question. i guess i should have checked first. i average less than 6GB per month on each.

    so it appears 10GB with medialayer would be fine.

    i still would like to understand how these companies can be so varied in their claims.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by chitown4 View Post
    good question. i guess i should have checked first. i average less than 6GB per month on each.

    so it appears 10GB with medialayer would be fine.

    i still would like to understand how these companies can be so varied in their claims.
    Let me explain this for you, most of the clients are not using all their bandwidth, they even don't using 10% of it usually(!)

    So if're web-hosting company and you having 100 clients with 100GB of bandwidth each most likely 90 of them will use from 1 to 10 GB of it. another 10 will use from 10 to 100GB, so let us calculate average BW:

    90*5=450GB & 10*50=500GB, so we're having 1TB of bandwidth for 100 clients, with maximum 100*100 = 10TB promised BW.

    This is what usually calls overselling. In other case you CAN promise only 10GB of BW to your clients despite that this fill fit their need they will go to another hosting who is promising 100GB but suspends you with 10 used anyway.

    Hope this helps.

  17. #17
    I just want to update this thread.

    6 months passed and I'm still very happy with MediaLayer. And during the last 6 months, I never contact their support regarding technical issues/problems.

  18. #18
    Sorry, I can not edit my post.
    It should be 7 months, not 6 months as I type on my previous post.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by midavecom View Post
    Sorry, I can not edit my post.
    It should be 7 months, not 6 months as I type on my previous post.
    Glad you've found your good host, can you please PM me their prices, looks like they're not on the site

  20. #20
    The price for Application Hosting:
    http://www.medialayer.com/hosting/ap...n-hosting.html
    MediaLayer do not list their price for Dedicated Server, but here's from their page ( http://www.medialayer.com/hosting/de...d-servers.html ) :

    Entrust your applications to a fully managed, secured, and optimized dedicated server. With management done exclusively by MediaLayer, you'll never have to worry about upgrading your server's software. The learning curve is literally the same as an ordinary application hosting account.

    Below are some sample configurations we have done for clients in the past. Please contact sales@medialayer.com for a custom quote.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    DFW & BCS, TX
    Posts
    82
    I just wanted to pop in as I just remembered since I had to pay my bill. I've been with medialayer for years now (coming up on 3 years) and I still really like them. They do hosting right. They've always been there if I've had questions and they keep you well informed. Plus the servers have good uptime. For me there's nothing to complain about and I plan on sticking with them well into the future.

  22. #22
    Another update:
    14 months passed and I'm still very happy with MediaLayer.

  23. #23
    For their prices they better offer good services..
    GlumboUploads - File hosting without wait-times or CAPTCHAs
    RichPeopleThings - Blog about rich people and luxury items

  24. #24

    Thumbs up

    Hello,

    I would like to update my review.

    By today, I already 6-7 months no longer with Media Layer.

    But don't get it wrong. It is not because Media Layer is no longer good, not stable, or anything bad. My reason move from Media Layer simple because I no longer have time to manage and keep my OSCommerce installation up-to-date. So I decided to move to a hosted-solution by Bigcommerce.

    My final conclusion is MEDIA LAYER WONDERFUL and I'll use them again when I need a good and stable hosting provider.

    Bravo for Media Layer.

    Thank you for reading my update.

  25. Newsletters

    Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Similar Threads

  1. Review: MediaLayer.com
    By Eric Lim in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 10:02 AM
  2. Medialayer.Com Review
    By Rocket-Press in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-01-2009, 12:23 AM
  3. MediaLayer Review
    By Cooleo in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 10:27 AM
  4. Review: MediaLayer.com
    By vladstudio in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-15-2007, 10:17 AM
  5. MediaLayer.com Review -
    By benplanet in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-14-2007, 10:20 AM

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •