I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using a remote sql server and setting it up via WHM. I tried to search, but didn't find much on the subject.
The current server isn't capable anymore of running the webserver and database together anymore, so it was time to buy another server for the databases.
Quick server specs:
Current (will only be used as a webserver with litespeed installed)
- Dual Intel Xeon Harpertown E5405
- 16 GB FB-DIMM
- 2x 300GB SAS 15,000 RPM - 16MB Cache
- 100 Mb/s Unmetered
New server (database)
- Dual Quad Core Xeon Nehalem 5520 - 2.26GHz 16MB cache w/HT
- 24 GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
- 2x 147GB SAS 15,000 RPM - 16MB Cache
* Both servers has a 1 Gbps private network connection and is stored within the same facilities, so they will communicate via LAN.
* The webserver has WHM/cPanel installed, but the new DB server does not.
Both servers are ready to go now, but I was hoping anyone could answer the following question before I started.
1) Can I use the "Remote mySQL Host Setup" option in WHM on the webserver to contact the new DB server even though it does not have WHM/cPanel installed, and will it automatically move/create all current databases and user accounts?
2) Do I need to change the connection strings on all the database files, or will the webserver now interpret "localhost" (when it comes to the databases) as the database server?
3) Do I need to install phpmyadmin or any other web based database administration software on the database server, or does cPanel now know that it's supposed to communicate with the database server?
In advance, thanks