hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Managed Hosting and Services : Dependable Managed Hosting w/ Plesk Requested

Forum Jump

Dependable Managed Hosting w/ Plesk Requested

Reply Post New Thread In Managed Hosting and Services Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

Dependable Managed Hosting w/ Plesk Requested

I'm looking to migrate from a server in which I'm running a single guild website that was built with Mambo & Simple Machine Forums a few years ago (2007) and a somewhat large database of forum threads, etc, with moderate bandwidth requirements. I will be adding another small business html-based website in the near future. I have around 6 other domains that would be more than likely parked on my hosted server. A few requests/services (paid or included in a monthly bill) that I would have of my new host would be:

-Migration from my old server to the new server (any necessary access can be provided)
-Help with server hardening, security, hardware, & other software updates in the future as necessary
-Backups on some sort of a regular basis would be good

It doesn't necessarily HAVE to be a dedicated hosting solution... clouds or VPS options seem fine. I just don't want to contend with extensive lag issues when I have 40-50 people logged in and viewing/posting to the forums...

My current server (ServerPronto) is a dedicated server, at $35/month, and I'd like to find something comparable in monthly price and bandwidth, but hopefully upgrade in services.

I currently have a 40GB hard drive, of which less than 2 is being used, with supposedly 1400GB of bandwidth, of which I'm using around 1% per month. Obviously this can be cut back a bit. It is running the webmin control panel, my PHP is 5.2.0, my Apache is 2.0.55-r1, & my MySQL is 4.1.14. My current OS is Gentoo Linux. I imagine the new server would have to be Centos or Unix or something else that works with Plesk properly. I generally have at least 50+ unique visits per day on my current website. I'd like to ensure a decent bandwidth speed, (hence the previous dedicated server package for the past 10+ years.) Bandwidth isn't really too much of an issue for me on my current server, but with our forums and fairly large database, beefy processing power & good bandwidth can be helpful.

It's difficult to find dependable freelance coding help, especially in emergencies, and I'm tired of paying for that help and not really getting what I need. For example, if a recent security patch or other random update generates some coding issues on our custom-coded website, I'd like a host that can provide me with that help... paid for by me in the form of that being included in my monthly hosting package, or by being billed separately for it.

Platinum Server Management seems like an absolute perfect fit for me with my current budget, but they seem to only offer the CPanel control panel. If there was an alternate style company that offered a similar package with Plesk, I'd really appreciate knowing about them.

Sponsored Links
Old

Two others that I've looked into are AcuNett & InfinityWS. If anyone has useful information on either of these hosts as well, I'd appreciate it.

Old
Custom Hosting Master

Since you only have one website, what's so important about sticking with Plesk? I'd take cPanel over it any day, as it is quite easy to use and doesn't eat up a lot of resources or breaks down as often as Plesk.

With 50 users per day on your website, I don't really know why you would actually need a server, even a VPS. Some proper shared hosting will work wonders, though none of the 7.95$/mo. for unlimited space and bandwidth.

Sponsored Links
Old
Doh!!

I would honestly suggest a managed VPS from a reputable company instead of going for another low end dedicated with no redundancy. I'd check out www.solarvps.com and maybe get a VPS or DDS server from them and you will have a true upgrade in services and plenty of support and reliability.

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
Since you only have one website, what's so important about sticking with Plesk? I'd take cPanel over it any day, as it is quite easy to use and doesn't eat up a lot of resources or breaks down as often as Plesk.
I plan to be setting up other websites on my server within the next year, so the idea is to move to a host that can support my expansion as needed in the future. As for the Plesk vs. cPanel, I had cPanel with my first host years ago, and while it seemed to work alright, I felt that there was a pretty significant learning curve with it. It may just be user preference... I'm not really sure... but I use the Plesk utility to manage websites for my boss who uses a dedicated Rackspace solution and I'm quite impressed with the simplicity and ease of the Plesk control panel. I'm certainly not a fan of the webmin utility.

As for the SolarVPS host, these guys look pretty solid. I'll check them out.

Old
Doh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggun View Post

As for the SolarVPS host, these guys look pretty solid. I'll check them out.
Yes.. Yes they are.

Old

Jason, I do believe you've recommended a damn near perfect fit. These guys apparently have two former SMF team members on staff, and have gone well above and beyond the call of duty to answer nearly all of my questions & concerns over the weekend! We haven't hashed out all of the details just yet but these guys are definitely working with me better than just about any other host that I've attempted to contact. Solar VPS thus far is indeed a solid company... I hope to find out more about their services in the very near future.

Old
Disabled

You can think of ayksolutions.com. They are really good.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

This is an old post, but for anyone else that happens along looking for the same, I have to say that the swipes at Plesk seem to be without merit. I have been using Plesk for 2+ years now on my dedicated server with nearly 100 domains and have had no issues with Plesk 8.2 at all. Maybe Rackspace just knows how to do Plesk better than most hosts.

As for the OPs specific requests about migration, hardening, security, expert help with scripts and updates or upgrades and the like?

I can't say enough good things about Reliable Penguin http://www.reliablepenguin.com/. They helped with my migration from multiple VPS servers to a single dedicated server with Plesk. They managed to get all the Websites, emails, scripts and some special needs handled in a very timely manor and for the agreed price which was very reasonable.

Although Reliable Penguin does not provide hosting directly, it is nice to know I have experts who are professional, honest and reasonably priced when I need them.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

We've worked very closely with Reliable Penguin on a number of large migration projects. In my opinion they're the best at what they do. They take a lot of pride in site/server migrations and their attention to detail is awesome.