Thread: Any thoughts???

Any thoughts???

I am having seriuos issues with my website being slow and even to the point where people cannot access it lately.

I am currently hosted with KH and I have the VPS3 package with 768 MB RAM, 40 GB Disk and 1000 GB bandwidth.

The only thing really on the server is my forum which is IPB 2.5 (have not upgraded yet). I have about 12,000 registered members but normally around 150-180 max users on at one time. I would say this would be peak of course and the normal range is less than 100 users.

Any thoughts on why I would be seeing this problem? Is this server not big enough for me?

I have been told by support that my memory is low when the site is unaccessible and I should look into purchasing more RAM. Is 768 really not enough for a site this size?

Anyones comments are more than welcome as I am a total novice when it comes to servers and such...

You could upgrade IPB for performance reasons and have you done updates to your server as well?

Quote Originally Posted by M Bacon View Post
    You could upgrade IPB for performance reasons and have you done updates to your server as well?
    No, I havent done anything since moving to this server about 5 months ago. I went with Knownhost because I was told the support was good. I have never had a VPS before and no nothing about servers...

I would ask KH to try and optimize things for you or ask for a temp upgrade for a few days to see if it solves the issue.

Without knowing your actual apache mysql php configuration etc we have no way of knowing. I would say if you are running any forum addons, memory might be running tight.

What's the server cores #, core speed and CPU load?

What's your port speed?
    █ Diego Rodríguez B. - https://diegorbaquero.com
    █ Software Engineer @ Protocol Labs | Filecoin Saturn

Try to optimize the server before upgrading. In most case (for forum site), optimizing the mysql configuration will solve the problem

If you're on a managed plan with them see if they'll be able to help optimize the server to be able to perform better for your forum. Although 100+ users on at a time is still quite a bit, an upgrade wouldn't hurt. Updating your software may also help and it's critical to have your software kept up to date in case of known exploits and of course performance issues.

Quote Originally Posted by techjr View Post
    I would ask KH to try and optimize things for you or ask for a temp upgrade for a few days to see if it solves the issue.

Without knowing your actual apache mysql php configuration etc we have no way of knowing. I would say if you are running any forum addons, memory might be running tight.
    Only add-ons is Gallery. I will contact support about optimizing the apache mysql and see if that helps. If not will have to see about a temp upgrade on RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deroba View Post
    What's the server cores #, core speed and CPU load?

What's your port speed?
    uuuhhh... Novice here so I have no idea what this stuff is?

Quote Originally Posted by BoxIntenseVincent View Post
    Try to optimize the server before upgrading. In most case (for forum site), optimizing the mysql configuration will solve the problem
    Will do and thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by igxhost View Post
    If you're on a managed plan with them see if they'll be able to help optimize the server to be able to perform better for your forum. Although 100+ users on at a time is still quite a bit, an upgrade wouldn't hurt. Updating your software may also help and it's critical to have your software kept up to date in case of known exploits and of course performance issues.
    I have plans to update to the software but was hoping to fix server issues first. Maybe I will go through with upgrade of software first.

Here is the last information they gave me through support.

At the time the site was having issues I only had roughly 25 members logged in which is very low.

root@host [~]# pidof httpd
    30593 30570 30111 28164 27902 26198 19706 19650 18396 18060 17819 17645 14164 13949 ****7 13384 13364 13355 12259 11532 11498 9556 9519 9514 9486 9334 9288 8108 8090 8018 7593 7233 7231 6012 5941 5916 5910 5774 5540 5208 3485 3455 3448 3092 1680 1646
    root@host [~]#

root@host [~]# free -m
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 768 768 0 0 0 0
    -/+ buffers/cache: 768 0
    Swap: 2 2 0
    root@host [~]#

Looks like just a bunch of numbers to me. Maybe someone can help me understand what all of it means?

That should be plenty of ram for a forum that size. My guess would be caching. Have KH check the PHP and MySQL settings and you go check the IPB settings and see what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by datamont View Post
    That should be plenty of ram for a forum that size. My guess would be caching. Have KH check the PHP and MySQL settings and you go check the IPB settings and see what you find.
    OK, I have asked them to optimize the apache mysql but did not mention the PHP setting. I will do that if I do not see a difference.

Are you familiar with IPB? What should I be looking for to optimize it? To be honest I inherited this website about 6 years ago and since then have grown 10 fold. I had a guy on as Admin who done a lot of this for me but has since dissappeared so I am on my own now. I have learned a lot over the past 2 years but still a lot more learning to be had.

Thanks for all the feedback to everyone!

I just check back in with support and this is the latest.

Hello,

We have optimized Apache/Mysql. We have tweaked Apache and mysql by adding the following entries in the apache and mysql configuration files respectively:

=========
    MaxSpareServers 5
    MaxClients 120
    =========
    set-variable = max_connections=300
    query_cache_size=12M
    =========

We have monitored the load in the server till now and it seems to be normal. You may verify the snippet given below:

========
    root@host [~]# w
    02:22:06 up 203 days, 5:15, 1 user, load average: 0.04, 0.09, 0.10
    USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
    root pts/0 support.privates 01:05 0.00s 0.82s 0.00s login -- root
    root@host [~]#
    ========

I am not sure what they mean by "verify the snippet"?