Exclamation Direct Credit Payments without leaving site.

Currently I use Paypal, and I was considering switching to Paypal Website Payments Pro so that I can actually take payments right on my website. It looks a tad unprofessional for me to use paypal as my credit card processor, even if it is cheap.

I wanted to weigh out my options though. I am not a big company and I don't make a huge income. This is more like a hobby than a business for me.

I get around 20 internet-only transactions a month. 15 of them are reoccurring between $3 and $10. The other 5 are normally upfront bulk payments from $10 to $120.

I've checked into 2checkout, Google checkout, alertpay. All of them I believe you have to leave the site and pay on their site. None of them have APIs or offer a service for money to allow on-site payments.

I have looked into merchant and gateways, but it seems like overkill for how small I am, and the risk of all those hidden fees and contracts I've read about.

However, of the merchants and such I have read about CDG commerce. To my understand they have a $10 "statement fee" and if you use authorize.net there is another gateway fee, or if you use their gateway, there is no gateway fee. So unless I am not understand correctly, using CDG would cost me $10 a month plus any transaction fees. Is this correct? Sounds better than paypal.

Finally, I have seen some gateways where they won't charge transaction fees for the first 100-300 transactions. Is there such a thing? or do they nickle and dime you in misc. fees else where?

--------------

What would you guys suggest for an on-site payment solution with credit cards? I'd like to have Germany/Mexico/Poland/Netherland support and allow for possible Checks? Its not needed, but wanted.

I would have no problem with any type of integration into my own system, as I do program my own stuff.

Well, you could use Paypal Pro, but I would suggest getting IP + SSL.

To make customers feel trusted inside your side with their CC details.
    █ Diego Rodríguez B. - https://diegorbaquero.com
    █ Software Engineer @ Protocol Labs | Filecoin Saturn

Remember that when you start taking credit card payments directly on your website that PCI requirements suddenly become an issue you'll need to look closely at.

I work for a company using CDG, only have good things to say about them to be honest!
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.

AlertPay provides on site payment feature. Check their Advanced Integration Method.

Providing a third party payment has its own positive side. Your clients may feel much safer because they don't have to worry of getting charged whenever they don't want to get charge.

With PayPal, the client has a sense of protection where they feel protected since they can stop subscribing or even reverse a payment when needed.

Processing it in house has its own advantages as well, meaning that we as the service provider don't have to keep asking the customer to make payment, or prompt them to "have a chance to reconsider our service".

Then again, you should consider security and PCI compliance as well, plus dealing with your own fraud screening.

I personally think if you're already comfortable and familiar with PayPal, upgrading to PayPal Website Payment Pro is the best option.
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

What are the the good measures to do fraud screening when you accept the payments directly on your website?

Check their Advanced Integration Method.

Quote Originally Posted by wakh View Post
    What are the the good measures to do fraud screening when you accept the payments directly on your website?
    Many credit card processors offer fraud screening as part of thier gateway, or you can subscribe to the service directly. To get the advanced features you have to go through one of these services such as CyberSource. Again, I would consult with your processor to see if they offer this or a similar service without charge before volunteering to pay.

If you are looking for solutions that you can implement on your payment site, then try including APIs for CVV code, address verification (request the numerical portion of the card holders billing address), and finally the Billing ZIP. It may be a little overkill to include address verification, but most online shoppers are accustomed to cvv(3-digit code on back) and billing Zip.
    Last edited by MerchantNation; 01-21-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: typo

Not familar with CDG, but I would say that $10 statement fee and free internal gateway is more than possible.

Other fees you may find are
    1) monthly minimums from $25-$50
    2) Batch fees (very nominal maybe $3 per month)
    3) AVS fees (depends on if you're using AVS; many processors offer at no charge, but you will want to check)
    4) possibly a yearly fee and or PCI compliance fee.
    5) Downgrades (transactions that do not meet your Qualified Rates); However, with the right negotiating you can eliminate superfluous downgrades.

Having a merchant account with respectable rates requires merchants to the one thing that most people hate...MATH! Just remember that its a dollar sign that sits in front of those numbers, and its worth the time it takes with a calculator to ensure that you're be taken care of.

I hear good things about CDG, though do not use them personally as they cater to US only. I also hear they have a handy solution that I haven't seen elsewhere (sadly for the UK too) that makes taking seamless recurring payments easy and avoids the PCI-DSS quite significantly.
    Exoware.net
    Professional EU/UK Web Hosting Solutions
    Linux Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting and Dedicated Server Hosting
    Excellent, personal support round the clock.

A few reasons to consider your own merchant account vs Paypal:
    - 1-2 business days automatic deposit into your business account.
    - Your merchant account is with a financial institution, so your funds are FDIC insured.
    - Advanced Fraud Protection
    - Transaction Dispute Resolution
    - Customer Support
    - Credibility and Professionalism of Your Site
    - Building your brand
    - Ultimately, repeat customers

Quote Originally Posted by tickedon View Post
    Remember that when you start taking credit card payments directly on your website that PCI requirements suddenly become an issue you'll need to look closely at.
    Concur. And if as the op mentioned only 20 transactions per month moving away from a 3rd party gateway would not be cost effective.
    ZZ Servers - Business Hosting, HIPAA and PCI Compliant Hosting Solutions - http://www.zzservers.com
    Xen Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Servers | Shared Hosting
    Custom configurations, firewall, VPN, load balancers, private networks and more.

Quote Originally Posted by zendzipr View Post
    Concur. And if as the op mentioned only 20 transactions per month moving away from a 3rd party gateway would not be cost effective.
    There is a break even point where a traditional gateway using a traditional merchant account is cheaper, but there are other factors to consider -- better control over the transaction, quicker funding, expanded reporting, etc. Also, transaction volume is not the only factor, you also need to consider average ticket amount. If your average ticket (order) is $10, your break even point might be 50 transactions per month whereas a $100 average ticket might be only 5 per month.

Lastly, if you decide to go the traditional payment route, make sure the gateway has the capability of offloading most of the PCI burden to to gateway. You want to make sure that when using a gateway, your site can qualify for SAQ A, sometimes referred to as the Paypal SAQ. To qualify for this, cardholder data can never touch your server and this data must post directly to the gateway's certified servers. Only a few traditional gateway providers offer this level of integration but it should be a requirement for all.

Good luck.
    --Steve (blog)

Shift4 Corporation -- Secure payment processing