how to not relase home address via whois info, w/o private whois?

howdy,

i use a 5char .com for my small private site. i really don't want to lose it due to incorrect whois details.

private whois is for most of tlds of my domain names available, but not for .de, .eu, .mobi for example.
    i trust my registrar (namecheap), but i assume it would be safer to have actually MY details in the whois.

what would be the best solution to keep my contact details private?

i saw that most companies don't have a name in their details, but instead use 'Domain Admin' as name. i'm guessing i can't do that safely, being not a company, right?
    i currently use my previous home address at my grand parents, a non-listed number from that town, which redirects to my new home-number. for email i use 'whois@example.com'.

You can get an address at a MailBoxesEtc

If you are willing to pay for their service, you can get a Mailing Address at a MailBoxesEtc or similar business and use that for your WHOIS information.

I wouldnt recommend mail boxes if you are running a company or a popular site because people may not want to take part in your site if they do not know who you are

i'm based in germany, i guess i'll get a free p.o. box from my post office around the corner.

the next step would be to get start a 'company' for this.

i pretty much answered all my questions, i guess.

there's absolutely no need to have my address listed, since it's a private site.

Is it free to get a PO box in germany ?

Also, I would suggest you go with namecheap domain privacy or use any registrar's such services as it will give a more professional look that po boxes.

Thanks

it is free, you have to pay a one-time fee of 15 euro though.

the reason i don't want to nc's service anymore, is that it doesn't work for all my domains, as i stated.
    they want a fee for the second year.
    and lastly, although i trust nc, still it would make me feel better to use my address.

FYI, I use name[dot]com for private registrations. Its free for lifetime with domains.

Though, I am in no way related to them or wish to promote them.

Xemino, unfortunately you only have two options: either use someone's privacy service like your registrar's, or use another set of "valid" contact data. Such as a P.O. Box and company name as suggested earlier.

Since you mentioned your domain's registrar is NameCheap, doesn't it come with a free WHOIS privacy service?

This is a very good question. Arin permits leaving out addresses for private residences. The same should apply for domains IMO.

If you look at domains that use the resellerclub-style privacy protection or other privacy protection programs they flat out tell you "we do not accept postal mail etc.." So it doesn't make sense to me. Your told that the phone number must be active (you don't have to answer) and that emails and snail must must be accepted (not returned/bounced).

I've asked and asked and asked why companies are allowed to flatout go against the ICANN policy for this and ICANN doesn't say anything.

From the looks of it privacyprotect.org still does have a pobox however, dunno if it accepts mail, says it doesn't.
    James Paul Woods
    Operations Manager
    HostKitty Internet Services

Whatever you do, make sure you keep the Registrant and admin email correct. If possible not a free address like yahoo.com or hotmail.com. gmail is more reliable;

We do get many complains customers are not getting the renewal reminders because the reminders do not reach their free email box, and placed in spam folders.

Also if you happen to face a conflict of interest for your domain name, you can only prove the ownership by using your Photo ID and signature, so never use a fake name as registrant.
    MBT
    SiberName.com is an ICANN/CIRA/Eurid Accredited Registrar. since 2000.

Canadian Registrar for .CA Domain Names Registrations. Canadian Web Site Hosting Service Provider.

A P.O. Box is your best bet.

PO Box or whois privacy is the best choice. Shinjiru offers anoymous domain registration.