Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1

    Thumbs down So I used to use lxadmin...what should I use now? Need reccomendations on a new CP

    I've been using a vps from vpsspeed.com (which I love very much,) but recently have broken it beyond my ability to repair (it's hanging on by a string for serving my personal website but I had to move all other functions etc... over to godaddy for now.) which is fine since this is a learning experience for me. However when I went to reload the lxadmin/hostinabox template I found out they do not use them anymore due to security concerns.

    I contacted their support and they helped me get instructions on how to redownload lxadmin if I still wanted to use it but I figured it's about time to explore other options.

    Does anyone have recommendations for a (preferably free) control panel like lxadmin. I am vaguely familiar with webmin but I'd like something that manages all my services in one place. I am not hosting clients or doing anything mission critical so I don't mind if it takes some futzing to get going but I do have 4-5 domains hosted on this (ideally mail and all)

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    DirectAdmin, while not "free" is in-expensive and will do just about anything you'd ask of a CP. If it's more convenience over cost, I would go with DA.
    Windows / Linux VPS
    Xen Virtualization
    RockVPS.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    533
    You could try ispconfig 3 which is quite easy to use and setup IF you're okay with the suite of software that needs to be installed - LAMP + postfix + courier + clamav etc.
    Webmin/Virtualmin seemed really sluggish when i tried it but its gets mentioned a lot for some reason.

    However, I do second using Directadmin as a paid option because imo the setup is a very reasonable choice of applications (exim dovecot etc) that goes with the control panel.
    Last edited by Scientist; 12-07-2009 at 03:24 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    600
    I'd also recommend DA as the alternative. Quite a few of our customers decided to move to DA after the LXLabs developer passed away. It's low cost and does everything you may need.
    JSHosts - UK Web Hosting
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Windows VPS | Linux VPS
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | CloudFlare | R1Soft Backups

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Manila
    Posts
    958
    It would be great if you will opt for cpanel but as you said, you only host 5 domains on the server so the monthly bill for it would be too much.

    DirectAdmin would be the best for you since it does not cost as much as of cpanel does.

  6. #6
    DA could be the options for you in terms of cost.....
    If you can afford, cPanel is more customization.
    ControlVM Technology
    Asia, US & Europe VPSHosted IP-PBX / VoIP Gateway ● Malaysia SSD Web Hosting
    █ Service Available in: USA (Los Angeles Phoenix) ● Germany ● Malaysia ● Singapore and HONG KONG

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    1,449
    Just go open source. There's no reason that the only piece of software on your server that is not free would be the control panel. There's about half a dozen of good free solutions, try them all on a virtual machine on your desktop, and pickup the one you like the most. There's a list of them on the WHT wiki.

    Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdzone View Post
    I've been using a vps from vpsspeed.com (which I love very much,) but recently have broken it beyond my ability to repair (it's hanging on by a string for serving my personal website but I had to move all other functions etc... over to godaddy for now.) which is fine since this is a learning experience for me. However when I went to reload the lxadmin/hostinabox template I found out they do not use them anymore due to security concerns.

    I contacted their support and they helped me get instructions on how to redownload lxadmin if I still wanted to use it but I figured it's about time to explore other options.

    Does anyone have recommendations for a (preferably free) control panel like lxadmin. I am vaguely familiar with webmin but I'd like something that manages all my services in one place. I am not hosting clients or doing anything mission critical so I don't mind if it takes some futzing to get going but I do have 4-5 domains hosted on this (ideally mail and all)

    Thanks in advance!
    This is the exact same thing that is happening to me right now. The company I got my first VPS with no longer wants anything to do with Kloxo aka Lxadmin and have forced me to look for other options. I used Lxadmin for a year and it was a lot of fun to work with. It sucks no one wants to support Kloxo it was a great FREE control panel.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,320
    directadmin is a good alternative without breaking the bank.
    QuickWeb™ -We Host Servers Like a Boss!
    New Zealand - USA - UK - Germany Virtual Servers
    Worldwide hosting provider with proven 24x7 and 25-Minute Support!
    www.quickweb.co.nz and GETVZ - Complete VPS Package with SSD Drive

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    1,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
    It sucks no one wants to support Kloxo it was a great FREE control panel.
    Considering the internals of it, this is just a normal consequence. I'm surprised that, 6 months after all the discoveries we made of that product, there are still some people running with it.

    Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    779
    As the OP explained, we stopped supporting Kloxo/LXAdmin. We did this pretty much as soon as the flaws were released, and all customers were notified about the change. We did even recommend customers switch to an alternative (which a majority did).

    Personally, I liked Kloxo. Despite all its flaws, it did actually have an equal (if not greater) set of features when compared to cPanel and DirectAdmin.
    WHSuite - Web Hosting Suite, a modern billing and client management system.

  12. #12
    hello
    now the good option DA not expenvise like Cpanel also no use more Sources

  13. #13
    Agreed with the all above, just go with the Directadmin.
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    KeserHosting.Com

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    34
    ISPConfig3 !! ITs free, Its pretty, secure and AJAXed. I am using the same. My friends also. Many of them too. Its got a whole community of its own.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,233
    The cheapest is: Get a blank CentOS and install your stuff manually! (The control panels do nothing other than running these same commands in the background in a well-organized form)

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by bentink View Post
    The cheapest is: Get a blank CentOS and install your stuff manually! (The control panels do nothing other than running these same commands in the background in a well-organized form)
    That will be a nightmare if you have many websites. And resell space to few friends around you.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,233
    Quote Originally Posted by xcine View Post
    That will be a nightmare if you have many websites. And resell space to few friends around you.
    He already mentioned he is not selling/reselling web hosting.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    88
    We use DirectAdmin. It's not free, but it's very inexpensive and does the same functions as something like Cpanel.
    rootbsd.net :: BSD based hosting for smart people
    FreeBSD VPS :: FreeBSD and OpenBSD Hosting Powered By Xen
    IRC: #rootbsd on freenode
    twitter: @rootbsd

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    2,123
    Kloxo is now being developed by over 20 new person in the staff, I'm the Spanish translator.
    Diego Rodríguez B. - http://diegorbaquero.com
    Hosting Industry Consultant

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,927
    "personas" is translated "people", not "persons". How comes you are the Spanish translator?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    30

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick-RikeMedia View Post
    Personally, I liked Kloxo. Despite all its flaws, it did actually have an equal (if not greater) set of features when compared to cPanel and DirectAdmin.
    Well said… I have used cPanel before and found Kloxo really easy to work with. I just recently started using Directadmin and its taking a bit of getting used to. Out of the three Directadmin is the most unique in my opinion, it looks and feels different coming from the other control panels. I really don’t understand why cPanel is the most expensive and I don’t see what makes it special besides it being a household name. Hopefully the people that took over Kloxo get things straightened out because it really is a nice Control Panel, I personally haven’t given up on Kloxo.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    2,123
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis1 View Post
    "personas" is translated "people", not "persons". How comes you are the Spanish translator?
    I wrote it on the iPod, and you say persons, when you can count them. At the moment I don't have a pc.

    I applied to become the translator
    Diego Rodríguez B. - http://diegorbaquero.com
    Hosting Industry Consultant

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,224
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdzone View Post
    However when I went to reload the lxadmin/hostinabox template I found out they do not use them anymore due to security concerns.
    Just d/load and install it manually yourself ...
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    34
    re-install using script, I have used cpanel and lxadmin. lxadmin is great. not at all bad..!! i like lxadmin more then cpanel/whcms

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,233
    Quote Originally Posted by xcine View Post
    re-install using script, I have used cpanel and lxadmin. lxadmin is great. not at all bad..!! i like lxadmin more then cpanel/whcms
    What web hosting control panel is whcms?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Kloxo vs LxAdmin ? (The new face of lxadmin)
    By GloryImSaved in forum VPS Hosting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2009, 11:12 PM
  2. Reccomendations?
    By Dragon79 in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-01-2005, 08:29 PM
  3. Need your reccomendations!! (please)
    By RossH in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-01-2003, 07:50 AM
  4. Reccomendations please...
    By Taylor in forum Reseller Hosting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-06-2003, 05:02 AM

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •