hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : Do I NEED cPanel?

Forum Jump

Do I NEED cPanel?

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

Do I NEED cPanel?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a Linux VPS from DME Hosting. Mostly just for web development (Apache, PHP) and possibly an IRC server. Problem is, it's a whole $15 for a cPanel license.

Do I REALLY need cPanel? I'm completely proficient with SSH and such. I'm getting Debian 5 x64bit. So basically saying, this is my first VPS, do I need to get cPanel to keep things running smoothly?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Well, DirectAdmin is a nice alternative too for much less than CPanel. But if your proficient with installing apache, mysql, php, etc then there is no reason you can't do it all with the command line. Webmin is a great free alternative to make it easier as well.

Old
[ VPS Enthusiast ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
Well, DirectAdmin is a nice alternative too for much less than CPanel. But if your proficient with installing apache, mysql, php, etc then there is no reason you can't do it all with the command line. Webmin is a great free alternative to make it easier as well.
I would normally agree with the above about DirectAdmin, though after checking DME's website I noticed they charge $14.95/month for a DirectAdmin license too - crazy! - Most hosts can provide them much cheaper than this - mine charges $5/month.

They do offer Webmin for free though, so i'd be tempted to go with that personally if you thought you needed one.

Sponsored Links
Old

Eh, I'll try it without it now, and if I need it I'll upgrade to Webmin.

Thanks guys!

Old
Web Hosting Master

You should try Kloxo, is the most similar CP and its free as webmin, nice interface and more friendly than webmin

Old

If you are not using your VPS for hosting, there's no need for you to have a control panel.

Old
Uptime Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deroba View Post
You should try Kloxo, is the most similar CP and its free as webmin, nice interface and more friendly than webmin
The unresolved security holes are free too

Old
We Love Xen® Hypervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-Sensibility View Post
The unresolved security holes are free too
The community is working hard in recover the security hole...and also the reputation. Remember, the previous owner was the people who make the hosting world change and benefited to many now so called giant company before, contributed to the world. Which control panel can guarantee their product always free of security issue? can you?

Old
Uptime Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff-ay View Post
Which control panel can guarantee their product always free of security issue? can you?
It's not about guaranteeing anything. It's about the fact that kloxo is insecure software with exploits apparently in the wild. The OP should know about this when deciding which control panels to consider.

Old

Why do you need Kloxo anyway.
If you are providing Hosting for others, surely you have to go with Cpanel and DA
If you are using the VPS to host your own sites, surely surely building everything on Debian will be more efficient than Kloxo.

Old
Disabled

Get cPanel. Its easier to manage everything.

Old
WHT Addict

I'm recommend you to use Virtualmin/Webmin as it's free. Very easy to setup and you can add/remove your modules/services easily.

Old
WHT Addict

I'd recommend Cpanel if you are just using the vps for hosting and don't want to be bother with dealing with php/apache and it's modules. Now, if you don't mind doing that, then you can opt out for Webmin or DirectAdmin. Stay away from Kloxo.

Old
Web Hosting Master

If you are mostly just going to do what is in your OP then you don't need any panel (especially if you are proficient with SSH which you indicate you are). Don't see any need for a panel.

Old
VPS Like a Boss!

I can sense you don't really need cPanel, you can always install the trial cPanel to get your site setup then decide later whether you want to keep it.

www.quickweb.co.nz and GETVZ - Complete VPS Package with SSD Drive