Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dallas/FortWorth TX
    Posts
    1,645

    What to do when ISP refuses to take down hackers server

    We recently had a situation where some of our servers were hacked by same ip. We sent a complain to the hackers ISP and they asked for proof, which we send in logs and print screen images. And still they keep asking for evidence and refuse to take down the server. When asked what do they consider as a solid evidence then they stopped replying to emails. This is a UK based ISP i m talking about. Any suggestions ?? no response from ripe yet
    IPStrada When uptime counts.
    Warren Buffet: Honesty is very expensive gift do not expect it from cheap people.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,218
    Quote Originally Posted by IPStrada LLC View Post
    We recently had a situation where some of our servers were hacked by same ip. We sent a complain to the hackers ISP and they asked for proof, which we send in logs and print screen images. And still they keep asking for evidence and refuse to take down the server. When asked what do they consider as a solid evidence then they stopped replying to emails. This is a UK based ISP i m talking about. Any suggestions ?? no response from ripe yet
    Unauthorised access to a computer system is a criminal offence in the UK, so I guess you need to involve the police.

    Computer Misuse Act, 1990:

    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1990...00018_en_1.htm

    Wiki article on Computer Misuse Act:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Misuse_Act_1990

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,898
    I have the whole list of IP addresses which tried to hack the server and my firewall blacklisted all IPs.
    UK Professional Web Development & Web Hosting/VPS solutions at web-project.co.uk
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

  4. #4
    iF they left any deface or anything that could be connected to their website or email or something you could return them a favor by hacking them or paying some hacker to take them down if isp wont do anything about it...I did it couple of times.I don't hack other people's sites i only do pentesting when requested by owner but i took over some hacking sites who were attacking.Returning the favor

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    218
    I would find out the contact information for UK law enforcement and explain to them the situation and go from there. I'm sure if you provided them the ISP's information and details on what happened including the evidence and logs you have from it they would be able to get an order to serve the ISP and force them to take the alleged hacker's server. Hope everything goes well!

  6. #6
    They wont do it trust me unless he is some big criminal in cyber world (wanted for stealing banking and credicard info).They don't want to loose their time on small hackers.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dallas/FortWorth TX
    Posts
    1,645
    Absolutely true and the amazing part is this response below i got after several emails from them instructing their abuse dept to ignore our emails.

    "Hi Kevin
    Please ignore this one as well.
    If these muppets keep pestering us with their trivia just block their emails from entering our network.
    Thanks
    Lance

    Lance
    Managing Director
    Last edited by Kusai; 12-03-2009 at 01:54 AM. Reason: edit
    IPStrada When uptime counts.
    Warren Buffet: Honesty is very expensive gift do not expect it from cheap people.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by tim2718281 View Post
    Unauthorised access to a computer system is a criminal offence in the UK, so I guess you need to involve the police.
    [/url]
    I totally agree: File a formal report with the local Police Department or the government agency responsible for UK Internet Law Enforcment. If the ISP is even refusing to investigate, then take it up a level.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,277
    Who is the ISP? It's not uncommon for providers to ignore non-network operators. You just have to channel the complaints differently.

    From the signature of the company it appears to be a US company but you said UK.
    James Paul Woods
    Operations Manager
    HostKitty Internet Services

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by IPStrada LLC View Post
    Absolutely true and the amazing part is this response below i got after several emails from them instructing their abuse dept to ignore our emails.

    "Hi Kevin
    Please ignore this one as well.
    If these muppets keep pestering us with their trivia just block their emails from entering our network.
    Thanks
    Lance

    Lance
    Managing Director
    & how were you able to see this response?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    401
    If the ISP refuses to do anything, doesn't this elevate it SOCA level?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dallas/FortWorth TX
    Posts
    1,645
    Quote Originally Posted by vip2 View Post
    & how were you able to see this response?
    Ofcourse they cc'd back to us
    IPStrada When uptime counts.
    Warren Buffet: Honesty is very expensive gift do not expect it from cheap people.

  13. Newsletters

    Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-07-2007, 09:37 PM
  2. Hotmail refuses emails from my server! help!
    By mantasman in forum Hosting Security and Technology
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-22-2006, 09:30 AM
  3. So many server hackers.. What do you do?
    By Collaziano in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-06-2005, 12:56 PM
  4. server refuses to make shared ips !
    By AS4Host in forum Hosting Security and Technology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-02-2005, 03:30 PM
  5. my mail server refuses to send emails
    By sonic in forum Hosting Software and Control Panels
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-27-2002, 04:26 AM

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •