hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Security and Technology : What to do when ISP refuses to take down hackers server

Forum Jump

What to do when ISP refuses to take down hackers server

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Security and Technology Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Master

What to do when ISP refuses to take down hackers server

We recently had a situation where some of our servers were hacked by same ip. We sent a complain to the hackers ISP and they asked for proof, which we send in logs and print screen images. And still they keep asking for evidence and refuse to take down the server. When asked what do they consider as a solid evidence then they stopped replying to emails. This is a UK based ISP i m talking about. Any suggestions ?? no response from ripe yet

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPStrada LLC View Post
We recently had a situation where some of our servers were hacked by same ip. We sent a complain to the hackers ISP and they asked for proof, which we send in logs and print screen images. And still they keep asking for evidence and refuse to take down the server. When asked what do they consider as a solid evidence then they stopped replying to emails. This is a UK based ISP i m talking about. Any suggestions ?? no response from ripe yet
Unauthorised access to a computer system is a criminal offence in the UK, so I guess you need to involve the police.

Computer Misuse Act, 1990:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1990...00018_en_1.htm

Wiki article on Computer Misuse Act:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Misuse_Act_1990

Old
Web Hosting Master

I have the whole list of IP addresses which tried to hack the server and my firewall blacklisted all IPs.

Sponsored Links
Old

iF they left any deface or anything that could be connected to their website or email or something you could return them a favor by hacking them or paying some hacker to take them down if isp wont do anything about it...I did it couple of times.I don't hack other people's sites i only do pentesting when requested by owner but i took over some hacking sites who were attacking.Returning the favor

Old
Junior Guru

I would find out the contact information for UK law enforcement and explain to them the situation and go from there. I'm sure if you provided them the ISP's information and details on what happened including the evidence and logs you have from it they would be able to get an order to serve the ISP and force them to take the alleged hacker's server. Hope everything goes well!

Old

They wont do it trust me unless he is some big criminal in cyber world (wanted for stealing banking and credicard info).They don't want to loose their time on small hackers.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Absolutely true and the amazing part is this response below i got after several emails from them instructing their abuse dept to ignore our emails.

"Hi Kevin
Please ignore this one as well.
If these muppets keep pestering us with their trivia just block their emails from entering our network.
Thanks
Lance

Lance
Managing Director

Last edited by Kusai; 12-03-2009 at 01:54 AM. Reason: edit
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2718281 View Post
Unauthorised access to a computer system is a criminal offence in the UK, so I guess you need to involve the police.
[/url]
I totally agree: File a formal report with the local Police Department or the government agency responsible for UK Internet Law Enforcment. If the ISP is even refusing to investigate, then take it up a level.

Old
relax, im a professional

Who is the ISP? It's not uncommon for providers to ignore non-network operators. You just have to channel the complaints differently.

From the signature of the company it appears to be a US company but you said UK.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPStrada LLC View Post
Absolutely true and the amazing part is this response below i got after several emails from them instructing their abuse dept to ignore our emails.

"Hi Kevin
Please ignore this one as well.
If these muppets keep pestering us with their trivia just block their emails from entering our network.
Thanks
Lance

Lance
Managing Director
& how were you able to see this response?

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

If the ISP refuses to do anything, doesn't this elevate it SOCA level?

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip2 View Post
& how were you able to see this response?
Ofcourse they cc'd back to us