Question hurrican electric

edit: that should be hurricane electric

what are the views about he.net please?

there doesn't seem to be much about this host here.

thanks.

They used to be a low end provider, but have been improving significantly over time. I would say it still depends on the location as to how their network performance is, as some sites are better than others.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

They actually use intelligent routing like Internap. I recommend them.

They have space in the Ashburn/D.C. Equinix its simply amazing, what they have there, intel. routing too. I had Colo from them for a while good service.

I've been wondering about them as well. Anyone use their Fremont, CA facilities?

We used them in California and the service was fantastic (web hosting). It took a few days to get signed up but it was well worth the wait.

Would definitely recommend them.
    James Paul Woods
    Operations Manager
    HostKitty Internet Services

We were going to use Hurricane Electric at their Fremont, CA location for colocation but at the last moment it was determined that our equipment took up too much power and that they could not offer what we wanted (at any price - not sure why they were out of power).

Instead, we went with a more local colocation provider.

Everything I've read about their colocation seems to be good and they were knowledgeable for the most part over the phone during pre-sales. I didn't know they had shared hosting till you mentioned it though.

Quote Originally Posted by dean1012 View Post
    We were going to use Hurricane Electric at their Fremont, CA location for colocation but at the last moment it was determined that our equipment took up too much power and that they could not offer what we wanted (at any price - not sure why they were out of power).
    I doubt they were out of power. Perhaps your equipment just uses too much for what your trying to host. California is rather crazy about energy consumption. What kind of demands/equipment did you have?
    James Paul Woods
    Operations Manager

I had a single 1U server I needed to colocate with them. It used 1.5 amps of power.

They don't normally do 1U server locations but they had a deal going for it at the time. Unfortunately, they weren't able to provide 1.5 amps of power for 1U of space. I would have to purchase 6U which I did not want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by woods01 View Post
    I doubt they were out of power. Perhaps your equipment just uses too much for what your trying to host. California is rather crazy about energy consumption. What kind of demands/equipment did you have?

I had a single 1U server I needed to colocate with them. It used 1.5 amps of power.

They don't normally do 1U server locations but they had a deal going for it at the time. Unfortunately, they weren't able to provide 1.5 amps of power for 1U of space. I would have to purchase 6U which I did not want to do.
    Is it 120V or 208V? If it's 120V, I don't see the reason why not to allow 1.5A/120V on 1U...

120V. I didn't see a reason either. I think it was more marketing than anything...

They told me I could have 1U of space + 1 AMP of power on 120V for $99/month or I could move up to 6U + 2 AMP of power on 120V for $199/month.

Problem is that in both cases, they claimed the power could not be upgraded. IE, I would be stuck with 5U of space I couldn't use and one working server or 1U of space that wouldn't work at all.

Furthermore, if you exceeded your power requirements they would upgrade you to a full rack for $999/year without your prior permission and send you notification upon completion. This is all still written in the contract I almost signed.

dean1012 in the future if you want colo in he.net perhaps find someone with cabinet space there. There are companies that have the space that will cater towards a 1u.

he.net is a funny company that is alot larger then your typical shared host yet they still have like $10 shared accounts.

They probably don't have much incentive to do a 1u that consumes what they consider is an unfair amount of power because of the price involved with it.

I've never ever heard anything negative about them and if a company that has 'electric' in their name is out of power, that's funny
    James Paul Woods
    Operations Manager

I have no complaints about he.net, they were highly professional and courteous.

We ended up finding a better deal here locally anyways. By having it local, we can work on the server physically at a much cheaper rate than flying to Fremont, CA.

120V. I didn't see a reason either. I think it was more marketing than anything...

They told me I could have 1U of space + 1 AMP of power on 120V for $99/month or I could move up to 6U + 2 AMP of power on 120V for $199/month.

Problem is that in both cases, they claimed the power could not be upgraded. IE, I would be stuck with 5U of space I couldn't use and one working server or 1U of space that wouldn't work at all.

Furthermore, if you exceeded your power requirements they would upgrade you to a full rack for $999/year without your prior permission and send you notification upon completion. This is all still written in the contract I almost signed.
    It's a steal for $999/yr for a full rack... Mind telling me what other features are included with $999/yr?

he.net is a funny company that is alot larger then your typical shared host yet they still have like $10 shared accounts.
    Don't they start from $1?

I've never ever heard anything negative about them and if a company that has 'electric' in their name is out of power, that's funny
    They don't do the electrical business.

I have no complaints about he.net, they were highly professional and courteous.

We ended up finding a better deal here locally anyways. By having it local, we can work on the server physically at a much cheaper rate than flying to Fremont, CA.
    Which company is it?

I don't recall the features for the full rack as I wasn't interested at the time. We ended up going with Oplink.net. Already wrote my review on them here in the colocation forums.

Quote Originally Posted by LaptopFreak View Post
    It's a steal for $999/yr for a full rack... Mind telling me what other features are included with $999/yr?
    This is from the last auto followup email I received from them.

*Special Offer* - Fremont CA - $895 month

Fully Secured Cabinet (42u or larger)
    100Mbps Redundant Backbone Dedicated Internet Bandwidth Port
    24/7 Support and Facility Access
    Free Remote Hands
    Free Unlimited IPs
    I must admit I originally went through a 'reseller' because of lower prices, and that reseller turned out to be them under a different name.