Hybrid View

Question I want to try Win 7, but don't want to kill my computer: dual boot or virtualbox.org?

Hello,

I want to try running Window 7 on my laptop, but I don't want to actually reformat my drive and lose the existing Windows XP install.

I suppose I could take a drive image, install Win 7, and if needed... "restore" back to the drive image and all is gold.

However.. surely there has to be a better way, that would allow me to run both OS side-by-side.

So I was thinking of dual boot? Or maybe virtualbox?

Has anyone got any advice on the best solution? Basically, what I want to do is "try out" Win 7 and then if I decided to keep it.. I can simply delete the old Win XP partition/image/whatever.

Any ideas?
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Dual Boot Only if you have a good configuration PC
    Possibly, Core 2 Duo or Dual Core PC
    Else, don't try to have Dual Boot It'll just kill your Processor.

Yeah virtual box should be fine, thats how I was running the beta, from vmware however. I have a duo core intenl with 2 gb of ram and did not have any problems. I don't know how well it wold perform from VB, but vmware was fine.

I'd suggest VMWare Player 3 (free) over Virtualbox, but you should look at both and decide for yourself.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

I'd more than likely try a dual boot...

But virtual machines are nice to jump in and test while still working on your regular OS.

I tested both vmware and virtualbox over the last couple of weeks (ongoing... moving from Microsoft's virtual pc)... I picked virtualbox. Virtualbox seems like a better option for me... although, there is nothing "wrong" with vmware, if you are new to virtual machines.

Although, starting, vmware was such a pain in the butt... my goodness.. almost like they don't want you to test it. Virtualbox, download and start using.
    Last edited by hekwu; 11-21-2009 at 07:10 PM.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    Hello,

I want to try running Window 7 on my laptop, but I don't want to actually reformat my drive and lose the existing Windows XP install.

I suppose I could take a drive image, install Win 7, and if needed... "restore" back to the drive image and all is gold.

However.. surely there has to be a better way, that would allow me to run both OS side-by-side.

So I was thinking of dual boot? Or maybe virtualbox?

Has anyone got any advice on the best solution? Basically, what I want to do is "try out" Win 7 and then if I decided to keep it.. I can simply delete the old Win XP partition/image/whatever.

Any ideas?
    You would of had to of had the drive partitioned out already to dual boot. The only way you could do it now is use Virtualbox, vmware, or parallels. From everything I have heard Win 7 is amazing.
    Jacob Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Wall View Post
    You would of had to of had the drive partitioned out already to dual boot. The only way you could do it now is use Virtualbox, vmware, or parallels. From everything I have heard Win 7 is amazing.
    No... http://www.partition-tool.com/ Easeus (free edition) can partition on the fly. I'll admit this is dangerous, but I've used it many times over the years and it has not failed so far. lol...
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Virtualbox is great, give it a try.
    Ask me about CloudCentrum (coming soon) -- The complete, turn-key cloud software solution

You can test Virtualbox, VB is very good but it remains questionable whether it can run on your notebook. Really, the better solution would be dual boot, tutorial for this find you with googel "dual boot tutorial".

I dual boot Windows 7 on my Macbook and it works great - didn't get on with Virtualisation software.

Dual boot is great fun. You can have the best of both worlds
    Boutique Host || Driven by our Uptime and Customer Service Record with proven 99.9% uptime.
    Shared and Reseller Packages - cPanel - Softaculous - RVSiteBuilder - CloudFlare.
    Live Chat || 24/7 Technical Support || 30 Minute Average Technical Response Time.

I would suggest Dual Boot. I run both Windows XP and Windows 7 with no problem.

I would recommend dual boot as it gives you the real feeling and speed of computer running win7
    We are the No1 company in Asia providing sim so dep

Yes, obviously dual boot is the best of all for You... I've used it too and its quite interesting