How easy is it to sell VPS in the first month?

Hey,
    I am going on a dedicated server shortly and will only be selling VPS on it. Now the server is going to cost me an arm and a leg and I just want to see if I was likely to make anything in the first month. How easy is it to sell a VPS in the first month?
    Boutique Host || Driven by our Uptime and Customer Service Record with proven 99.9% uptime.
    Shared and Reseller Packages - cPanel - Softaculous - RVSiteBuilder - CloudFlare.
    Live Chat || 24/7 Technical Support || 30 Minute Average Technical Response Time.

Why not get people/clients to pre-order with some benefit for doing so. At least you'll know what you are in for the second month.

Business rule number 1 - always have a cash reserve and be prepared to lose/invest a set amount of money in a service before deciding to market it more or flag it. If you're desperate to recover 1 months cost in the first month of operating the service, I don't think you're ready.

I have more than enough money for three months. I just wanted to work out how much I am going to be losing before I start making.
    Boutique Host || Driven by our Uptime and Customer Service Record with proven 99.9% uptime.
    Shared and Reseller Packages - cPanel - Softaculous - RVSiteBuilder - CloudFlare.
    Live Chat || 24/7 Technical Support || 30 Minute Average Technical Response Time.

Hard to say, it really depends how well known you are and if you have a current client base you can upsell to.

You have to find the answer to the question yourself, by making things happen - opportunities rarely coming knocking on your door. You need a plan.

Most make a loss the first month and then break even within the second.
    Mainly depends on your pricing though, too low and looks like you oversell, too high and people go with more reputable companies.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

So has anybody tried this pre-order thing that was mentioned above? Does it work and how can I make it so people sign up?

Never sell any service in a hurry. First check your providers services and sell with confidence to your clients.

Making money and getting instant clients is far easy then getting 100% renewals and getting good clients who will stay with you for years.

People buying VPS is looking for 3 to 10years old providers. They take time to decide as changing VPS every few months is painful.

Be cool, honest n sincere to your offers and services, business will take its time to grow as trees are, be patient.
    Nirav Arora
    Kolkata, India.
    www.HostingMatters.in,

Quote Originally Posted by AveUgotaWkdSide View Post
    How easy is it to sell a VPS in the first month?
    It would all depend on how you market/promote your VPS services on the web.
    WebHosting.UK.com - WHUK :: Leader in Web Hosting since 2001
    cPanel Hosting | Windows Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Hyper-V VPS | Cloud Hosting
    Dedicated Servers in UK by WHUK - Fully Managed UK dedicated servers with 24x7x365 Support.

Has anybody tried offering Pre-order to clients? Does it work?

Never seen it done before... also customers prefer instant setup not wait 2 days while you get the server setup...
    Like some others have said don't try sell things in a rush, will make your clients doubt how long your going to be around as it makes you look financially unstable even if that isn't the case.

So has anybody tried this pre-order thing that was mentioned above? Does it work and how can I make it so people sign up?
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

Quote Originally Posted by ZanyHost View Post
    Never seen it done before... also customers prefer instant setup not wait 2 days while you get the server setup...
    Like some others have said don't try sell things in a rush, will make your clients doubt how long your going to be around as it makes you look financially unstable even if that isn't the case.
    Ok I understand, so I guess I am going to get this server up and running before I start selling.

Thank you friend for your understanding.

I wish you good luck.
    Nirav Arora
    Kolkata, India.
    www.HostingMatters.in,

I wish u also good luck with that website....

It very much depends of your marketing strategy. If I was in your position I would try to sell VPS Hosting in the local community, where people can see me and where I can prove that I'll be able to provide a quality service. If you start selling online you will need to spend a lot in marketing and advertising.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

I stronglly recommend that you spend some money for adv because if you are new you should advertise your self and make sure that your prices are really good even if that tend to make you losing some money at least for the first month then I am sure you will see the benefit of that.
    also be honest with your clint because if they are happy the will become your free advertising

good luck for your bussniss and soory for my poor english

The toughest part in making sales is people knowing who you are and if you're reputable. I wouldn't expect to gain much in the first month if there isn't at least some form of advertisement.

Best of luck.
    rootbsd.net :: BSD based hosting for smart people
    FreeBSD VPS :: FreeBSD and OpenBSD Hosting Powered By Xen
    IRC: #rootbsd on freenode
    twitter: @rootbsd

Its a good idea to have cash flow in advance to cover the first 3 month. If you are so worry about losing money first month..... then something wrong in your planning.

Agreeing with the general mass that you're probably going to lose money in the beginning. It's a tough market, and a lot of the game is getting recognition and reputation. It's hard to do that in just the first month, but that doesn't mean it can't be done? In any case, plan ahead realistically, make some very realistic goals, and then proceed from there. Best of luck to you!

With good marketing strategy you can get enough money in the first month to pay for your second month, also I recommend you get a reliable and secured VPS control panel like SolusVM.

The competition is really though pay attention to what your competitors are offering especially their prices then design a good package around it.
    QuickWeb™ -We Host Servers Like a Boss!
    New Zealand - USA - UK - Germany Virtual Servers
    Worldwide hosting provider with proven 24x7 and 25-Minute Support!
    www.quickweb.co.nz and GETVZ - Complete VPS Package with SSD Drive

Has anybody tried offering Pre-order to clients? Does it work?
    Two years ago I tried the pre-order and had a lot of interest. But then again nobody was offering unmetered bandwidth vps either. So it was a niche. You have to diversify yourself from the pack or else they'll go with someone who's been around longer.
    GetCloudHosting.com - Looking for HOT deals on cloud hosting services? We post 5 of the hottest deals every day! -> Click Here <-

You have to be realistic. How good is your business plan? Have you had anyone in the industry review for you? If I had someone here posting about your company and noticed that they you had just started I would tell them to proceed with caution. Ask yourself this questions: What will make you stand out from the dozens of well established providers already out there? What are your plans for providing support?

You need to try to find your niche. Work the local business around you, network with your contacts, get as many interested people lined up as you can.