Windows VPS for Broadcasting

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a Windows VPS solution that is good enough to run a broadcasting application. It's called SAM Broadcaster and broadcasts music to a remote ShoutCast server.

Basically I'm looking for a fairly high hard drive space, and around 500GB of bandwidth a month (128kbps, per day, for 31 days).

The key factor, though, is uptime as it needs to always be broadcasting or else, well, there's no audio for my listeners. So a reliable host is a must.

I'm new to Windows hosting, so any help and any point in the right direction will help. I tried out SolarVPS but was fairly disappointed by their sales team. Any other reputable hosts?

Thanks in advance.
    Melchior....
    Web - http://www.wiredprogramming.com
    Contact - [ AOL: WiredPrg ; YIM: wiredprogramming ; MSN: msn[at]wiredprogramming.com ]

i do not think vps host will like you using like 25% cpu 247.

try dedicated

<<signatures to be set up in your profile>>
    Last edited by bear; 12-11-2009 at 09:05 PM.

Greetings, Melchior!

Quote Originally Posted by melchiorus
    I tried out SolarVPS but was fairly disappointed by their sales team.
    I reviewed all chat transcripts from yesterday and don't see anything centered around your initial post here... can you let me know who you spoke with or if you sent a ticket in, the ticket ID, please?

If we've disappointed anyone, we want to know about it so we can get it corrected, and I definitely want to clear up any possible misconceptions.

Let me know, please.

Thanks!
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

UPDATE: I just discovered that we got you taken care of today and that I worked with you to explain what transpired.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

Yes, the issue with Solar VPS got sorted out completely. The situation was explained to me and they are allowing me to run the SAM Broadcaster software. Thanks to Douglas at SolarVPS for the help!
    Melchior....
    Web - http://www.wiredprogramming.com
    Contact - [ AOL: WiredPrg ; YIM: wiredprogramming ; MSN: msn[at]wiredprogramming.com ]

Greetings!

I apologize personally if my initial reply last night came across harsher than I intended it I'm not a cranky person, I promise!

My aim was to be honest, straightforward, and truthful about the status of the order, and to let you know that we were indeed more than willing to take a second look at it. Once Douglas and I had been able to take a closer look at it with the information you provided, we were happy to accomodate you

Thanks again for working with us to get that straightened out. Please do let us know if you've got any problems or concerns.

Best regards!
    Justin O'Leary :: Solar VPS / DedicatedNOW
    Tel: (201) 255-8050 Toll Free: (800) 799-1713

www.solarvps.com : sales@solarvps.com
    New Jersey & Los Angeles Unmanaged Linux & Windows Virtual Private Servers

Quote Originally Posted by kemosabetx View Post
    i do not think vps host will like you using like 25% cpu 247.

try dedicated
    I know this might not help the TS, but as a VPS provider I would be terribly disappointed if my customers used less then 25% of the resources they pay for (and I assigned them). It's better for your customers to get a smaller package then, wait until they really grow into it.

In the long run you'll get a customer that is growing and staying (making you bigger as well)

Quote Originally Posted by wijtec View Post
    I know this might not help the TS, but as a VPS provider I would be terribly disappointed if my customers used less then 25% of the resources they pay for (and I assigned them). It's better for your customers to get a smaller package then, wait until they really grow into it.

In the long run you'll get a customer that is growing and staying (making you bigger as well)
    You can't force your client to use all of the CPU allocated. Much better to have a lot of overhead for the times they need it.

In this example a Hyper-V with a dedicated CPU would have solved the issue.

Try ServerComplete.com

I have a windows vps server from them (which I got for only $15 because of a promo months ago) and I run Sam Broadcaster on that vps.

Support Team is awesome and very helpful. I also find their network and server speed fast enough to handle my radio station.

Currently I'm using 128kbps mp3 and usually get around 30-50 listeners average.

Hasn't OP already signed up with SolarVPS as per update from Justin?
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima VPS View Post
    You can't force your client to use all of the CPU allocated. Much better to have a lot of overhead for the times they need it.

In this example a Hyper-V with a dedicated CPU would have solved the issue.
    Agreed, but the person I responded on mentioned that the provider would not like a client that would use 25% of the resources appointed to him.

If a provider doesn't like the leased out resources being used, there is most likely something wrong (like heavy overbooking, or other business cases where usage of the leased out resources costs the provider more)

As an engineer I get a smile when I see the VPS cluster running at full speed used by happy customers.....not much of a smile when I see it running 100% idle.

Even if that means that we have to carry more heavy iron to the DC soon (good it staff is of course lazy by default)