Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    how many ip addresses

    How many ip addresses do i need to start my web server 2 for dns and then 1 for domain ? i use cpanel ?

    Noob question sorry just asking

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobro View Post
    How many ip addresses do i need to start my web server 2 for dns and then 1 for domain ? i use cpanel ?

    Noob question sorry just asking
    You could do it with one IP but it's highly discouraged.

    Your setup is great. Granted that none of the websites will require a dedicated IP.
    Jacob Wall - GetCloak.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ashburn, VA
    Posts
    99
    For proper dns you need 2 IP's, I say you need 3 to start your server if that i know others that only have one - all shared so its really up to you, one will work, but is not recommended, but if you have multiple servers you need at least one different one on each.

    Hope this helps

  4. #4
    yes thank you very much because me and my freiend we are having problems with dns so we were thinking about geting another ip address we have one already but how many do we need to have dns server and serve web adresses

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1

    IP Addresses

    1 IP address for the cpanel server and you would need 2 IP addresses for the DNS, 1 for primary dns and 2nd one for the secondary DNS.

    amisar

  6. #6
    Hi!

    You actually need only one.... it is recommended two (because some DNS registrants refuse to accept you with only one IP). The best practice, for DNS, is that you have a slave DNS on another location, in case of failure (that's why those registrants asks for two DNSs). Having two/three/four/five IPs on the same server is actually pointless, unless you want to sell several domains with different SSL certificates (in which case you *need* one IP per SSL domian).

    Also, you could just stay with one IP and use a "free DNS" provider, like zoneedit.

    I hope this helps,

    Ildefonso Camargo

  7. #7
    Thank you all so much for these quick response this def help me allot

  8. #8
    Also keep in mind, as implied in earlier posts, that DNS servers do not need dedicated IP addresses.

    With a shared or reseller account, the general practice is that your private nameservers will be setup using the same IP addresses as your provider's nameservers. You would then use a shared IP for your website if you did not need SSL or a dedicated IP otherwise. Under this setup, you would be required to pay for 1 IP at most.

    For me personally, I prefer to setup a server with the following setup:

    IP 1: hostname.domain.com (main shared IP)
    IP 2: ns1.domain.com (dedicated with no accounts)
    IP 3: ns2.domain.com (dedicated with no accounts)
    IP 4: domain.com (dedicated IP)
    IP 5: Unused

    That gives 1 IP for expansion before needing additional IPs. However, I generally order 16 IP addresses when provisioning a new colocated server leaving a lot more than just 1 IP for expansion.

    This isn't the most efficient setup, however.

    You mention issues with DNS? What issues? There may be another issue at hand that we can help you solve.

  9. #9
    I recommend 3 IP minimum, one shared ip and other two nameserver ip.
    However, 2 IPs will also work good.
    Only one ip is not recommended
    ██ Harris, Sales Rep
    ►◄[email protected],[email protected]
    ♫♫ Reliable WHM Master Reseller Hosting Since 3+ Years
    ♫♫ WHMPHP Master Reseller Control Panel

  10. #10
    I think you will require 3 IPs one for webserver, and the others for your nameservers. And if you want the SSL you will definitely need the one extra dedicated IP for this.
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    KeserHosting.Com

  11. #11
    The problem is that mail.domain.com dose not work on my server we cannot connect to mail server because of some dns issue ? like this when i try to connect using windows live mail server this is what i get.

    Unable to send or receive messages for the thedomain (h) account. The host 'mail.thedomain.net' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.

    Server: 'mail.thedomain.net'
    Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0D
    Protocol: POP3
    Port: 110
    Secure(SSL): No
    Socket Error: 11004

    and yes we have shared webhosting just at the beginning then as we are going to grow we are then maby go to dedicated hosting

    this is the issue and we are using dns server at godaddy.com and register.com and for some reason this is the only thing that is not working but webpage and every thing else works..

    And i just have to say again Thank you all for your help here..
    Last edited by Cobro; 11-20-2009 at 10:41 AM.

  12. #12
    I would love to help you troubleshoot this issue but I will need to know your full domain name in order to do so. Is your domain really thedomain.net? If not, please reply with your actual domain name.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cobro View Post
    The problem is that mail.domain.com dose not work on my server we cannot connect to mail server because of some dns issue ? like this when i try to connect using windows live mail server this is what i get.

    Unable to send or receive messages for the thedomain (h) account. The host 'mail.thedomain.net' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.

    Server: 'mail.thedomain.net'
    Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0D
    Protocol: POP3
    Port: 110
    Secure(SSL): No
    Socket Error: 11004

    and yes we have shared webhosting just at the beginning then as we are going to grow we are then maby go to dedicated hosting

    this is the issue and we are using dns server at godaddy.com and register.com and for some reason this is the only thing that is not working but webpage and every thing else works..

    And i just have to say again Thank you all for your help here..

  13. #13
    the real domain is http://www.stjornuljos.net

  14. #14
    It appears there are two issues here.

    First, there is no A record for mail.stjornuljos.net instead it is a cname pointing to itself. You will need to change this to be an A record or a CNAME pointing to stjornuljos.net (assuming mail is hosted at the same place as stjornuljos.net is).

    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;mail.stjornuljos.net. IN CNAME

    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    mail.stjornuljos.net. 3427 IN CNAME mail.stjornuljos.net.


    Once you do this, you will need to create an MX entry as you have none. Create a single MX entry with priority 0 and point it to mail.stjornuljos.net.

    These two changes must be made at your DNS zone file. If you do not have access to DNS administration, you will need to contact the place who handles your DNS to do this for you.

    Once you have made these changes, please allow 24-48 hours for DNS propagation to take effect. Then, mail.stjornuljos.net will work and mail will be delivered properly.

  15. #15

    Thumbs up

    Thank you very much i will try this out and let you know what happens and i think it is going to be fine.. but i will let you know

    Thank you all so very very much for your assistance

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    375
    Glad to hear WHT community has been helpful. Don't forget to update us.. =)

  17. #17
    Hi!

    I got a question here, for all the people who says: don't use 1 IP, you need 3 IPs, 4 IPs, 5 IPs!!!..... I just would like to hear what is the reasoning behind these numbers, I mean, unless you need different SSL sites on the same port (for example, the standard 443), I don't see any logic for requiring more than 1 IP.... maybe 2 if you need to make some registrants happy!, but, more than that? I mean, if you sell VPSs: yes, you may need them, in order to give IPs to the VPSs, but if no...... why? Please, use technical arguments, not just "you need 2 IPs, or it will not work", no, please elaborate. I really want to know about it, a real technical reason for having >2 IPs on the same server, *any* technical reason, beside the SSL or VPSs.

    Sincerely,

    Ildefonso Camargo

  18. #18
    You pretty much have it right.

    There is really only one reason for having a dedicated IP in my opinion:


    • If you are hosting more than one application on the same machine that use a standard port. IE, 443 for SSL, 6667 for IRCD, etc...

    Also, it is required (though not always enforced) for each nameserver to have its own IP address and there is a minimum of 2 nameservers required. The IP address does not have to be dedicated, however - just different than another nameserver.

    With that said, technically the lowest amount of IPs you need are 2.

    1 IP is for ns1 (primary nameserver), main shared IP
    1 IP is for ns2 (secondary nameserver), dedicated IP for one site

    Any additional IPs after this are only strictly required as stated above.

    The rest is really just a matter of personal preference and how many IPs you can afford and get justification for.

    Quote Originally Posted by soulhunter View Post
    Hi!

    I got a question here, for all the people who says: don't use 1 IP, you need 3 IPs, 4 IPs, 5 IPs!!!..... I just would like to hear what is the reasoning behind these numbers, I mean, unless you need different SSL sites on the same port (for example, the standard 443), I don't see any logic for requiring more than 1 IP.... maybe 2 if you need to make some registrants happy!, but, more than that? I mean, if you sell VPSs: yes, you may need them, in order to give IPs to the VPSs, but if no...... why? Please, use technical arguments, not just "you need 2 IPs, or it will not work", no, please elaborate. I really want to know about it, a real technical reason for having >2 IPs on the same server, *any* technical reason, beside the SSL or VPSs.

    Sincerely,

    Ildefonso Camargo

  19. #19
    Thank you so much dean1012 It WORKS great!!!! can now connect to my mail server and i tryed to send me mail but i got this in return ?

    The following message to <[email protected]> was undeliverable.
    The reason for the problem:
    5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'relay not permitted'

Similar Threads

  1. ip addresses
    By zomby in forum Hosting Security and Technology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-16-2007, 08:19 PM
  2. What to do about IP addresses?
    By techmonkey in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-06-2006, 07:49 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-19-2004, 03:59 PM
  4. IP addresses
    By ArdentCo in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-05-2003, 01:54 AM
  5. IP Addresses
    By sandstorm32 in forum Hosting Security and Technology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-12-2002, 06:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •