Thread: rackspace colo

rackspace colo

I ask rackspace for colocation. But they said we dont offer traditional colocation service. I have to lease a server from them. I think this is same to dedicated. Could anyone give information about their colo service. For example Can I get my server when i dediced t change my hosting company or Will I pay hardware price etc..

Generally you cannot get the server when you decide to move away.
    Why don't you try to contact a provider where you can colocate your own servers ?

Quote Originally Posted by EngineNetworks View Post
    Generally you cannot get the server when you decide to move away.
    Why don't you try to contact a provider where you can colocate your own servers ?
    I cant find a good provider. I dediced to rely on rackspace because of webhostingtalk. Webhostingtalk uses rackspace so i rely on wht's choise

Rackspace is a good provider, but is not the only one. There are other good colocation providers at WHT. Do you have any preference on location?
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

When colocating your own machine, location is very important as you may need to get to the server for backups or emergencies.
    WEBWERKS.IN
    India Based
    Colocation, Dedicated Servers, VPS and Webhosting
    High Speed Network. High Speed Ports. ISO 9001 and 27001 Certified India Datacenter - Need an Affordable India Based Hosting Solution?

Quote Originally Posted by wenwerksin View Post
    When colocating your own machine, location is very important as you may need to get to the server for backups or emergencies.
    do you talk about place? For example I have to purchase a colocation in my country so i can contact with them easly?

When choosing the colocation routes it is usually recommended to colocate within your locality so this way if you need onsite support for hardware issues etc you can just head down to the datacenter and take care of the required issues. Unless offcourse you're fine with paying for remote hands which can get expensive with certain datacenters.

"I don't believe Rackspace offers Colocation, they only offer Managed Hosting (Dedicated servers, Cloud, Mail etc)."

Yes...this is my understnding as well

Rackspace has offered something in what they call the colocation space for about a year now; it used to be called "Platform Hosting", they call it "Managed Colocation" now:

http://www.rackspace.com/managed_hos...tion/index.php

As you said, it's not quite the same as traditional colo though. You can specify certain hardware, but they procure it and essentially lease it to you on a monthly basis. You'd have to ask them if there is a way for you to keep the hardware after your contract term has ended. You have access to their other hardware, like firewalls, load balancers, etc. on a monthly rate--the same as a dedicated server managed hosting customer would--but by default all the server and application maintenance is handled by the customer. You can buy managed services a la carte or on demand as needed at an hourly rate. Honestly, it's more akin to an unmanaged dedicated server offering than what most people would consider colocation. I hear this was in response to customers, some of them large, wanting to be in Rackspace's datacenters but not wanting to pay for managed service on each box. Regardless of what people here think of Rackspace, based on personal anecdotes and what I read on technical but non-webhosting related blogs and sites, they have a good reputation in the startup, Web 2.0 and small to mid-sized Internet-centric communities.

Normally when you colo the datacenter remote hands is only in case of emergencies when you cant get there. So you usually colo if its in the vicinity and you need to be close to the server + your audience is also local.

I dont know which country your in . But if colo is available and your audience is local you should explore that option.
    WEBWERKS.IN
    India Based
    High Speed Network. High Speed Ports. ISO 9001 and 27001 Certified India Datacenter - Need an Affordable India Based Hosting Solution?

i'm in turkey but my audience is generally from usa and europe. Could you recommend me some good companies. if you can, you may write down 10 company so i can review them one by one until i find right one.

Quote Originally Posted by enbilulu View Post
    i'm in turkey but my audience is generally from usa and europe. Could you recommend me some good companies. if you can, you may write down 10 company so i can review them one by one until i find right one.
    I would recommend signing up for dedicated hosting in the US since you are in Turkey. It doesnt make sense to colocate equipment - you will always need help to fix the servers. In case of dedicated atleast the hardware is supported by someone.
    WEBWERKS.IN
    India Based

I think there are many times when colocating hardware is important. I.E. if you want to host a SAN and multiple Oracle RAC database nodes. Rackspace isn't setup to host something like this. There are some specialty shops that host specific things like like this.

With rackspace you pay a lot of money for managed services that you could get elsewhere fat a better rate. It just depends on your actual needs.

Also, I would highly recommend not hosting your servers close to you, but more in line with where the majority of your users are.

Quote Originally Posted by antony_m View Post
    If you're not in the US, any specific reason you wish to colo as suppose to rent dedicated servers?

www.gorack.com
    I'm pretty sure that's NOT what he's looking for lol