Photoshop PSD page problem

Can some do or tell how to select different layers and save them ? I have a full Web page in PSD file and i want to save all layers one by one instead of full page?

From my understanding you want each layer to be it's own PSD is that correct?
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

Quote Originally Posted by The-Pixel View Post
    yes you are right! how to do it?

Don't understand why you would want to do this.

Just make the other layers non-visible and then save them 1 by 1.

You would have to save each layer one at a time by hiding the other layers. As far as I know there is no other way of doing so? Very interesting question though, why do you want to do this?
    Hosting & Internet News - Gawkwire.com
    www.gawkwire.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gawkwire View Post
    You would have to save each layer one at a time by hiding the other layers. As far as I know there is no other way of doing so? Very interesting question though, why do you want to do this?
    They way he described it. I think he designed multiple pages in the same PSD for a website, instead of just designing a template then doing the content in a text-editor.

I'm with Nickerson here. Except it's usually advised that once you're done with the base design, you make several copies of the PSD for each individual page. In the end, you just export what you really need and you already have a base template done.

Quote Originally Posted by arty101 View Post
    yes you are right! how to do it?
    In CS4, go to file -> scripts -> export layers to files.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

There seems to be no reason to do this - Would be interested why?

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK3RS0N View Post
    Just make the other layers non-visible and then save them 1 by 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawkwire View Post
    You would have to save each layer one at a time by hiding the other layers.
    Have you actually tried that?
    In PS, if you hide the layers and "save as", it saves a complete copy, with all layers, in the state it was when you "saved it as". In other words, you will have x number of copies of the full image, with hidden layers and all.

If you wanted only one layer, you could hold CTRL and click the small preview graphic in the layer panel (no need to hide the others first) to select all on that layer, the hit file->new (opens a new file with the same dimensions as the copied content) and paste. Save as a new file, done.

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    In PS, if you hide the layers and "save as", it saves a complete copy, with all layers, in the state it was when you "saved it as". In other words, you will have x number of copies of the full image, with hidden layers and all.

If you wanted only one layer, you could hold CTRL and click the small preview graphic in the layer panel (no need to hide the others first) to select all on that layer, the hit file->new (opens a new file with the same dimensions as the copied content) and paste. Save as a new file, done.
    I wonder if this process would be too complicated for him to understand?

I think you should break it down into point form (step by step) so that he can follow you in a systematic way
    If you're the smartest person in the room then you're in the wrong room

Quote Originally Posted by cpoalmighty View Post
    I wonder if this process would be too complicated for him to understand?
    Be happy to explain, if he (or you?) needs it.

I think you should break it down into point form (step by step) so that he can follow you in a systematic way
    Isn't that what I'd done?
    "If you wanted only one layer, you could hold CTRL and click the small preview graphic in the layer panel (no need to hide the others first) to select all on that layer, the hit file->new (opens a new file with the same dimensions as the copied content) and paste. Save as a new file, done."

No I dont need it. I am a designer myself. I simply stated that because while working with some clients who aren't familiar with designing and coding etc, they are left in the dark when you say certain terms or put give information in paragraph form. They see it like a greek book they have to read. lol
    If you're the smartest person in the room then you're in the wrong room

I donīt understand, do you need to slice up the psd?

@bear: He needs to select the layer, than use Ctrl+A to select the layer's content. Otherwise clicking the small preview will select the object and work against him in terms of uneven graphics if he's applied outer shadow, outer glow, etc. What he can do is then copy the layer style and then paste it into the new document.

True, or he'd need to open a new image as large as the main one and simply drag that layer to it then. Copies the whole shebang in that case.

With the layer styles? Hmm, I remember avoiding that several years ago when I was still on version 7. It would just "flatten" the later and still make it crappy. Thanks for the tip!

Wrong.

You can save images with hidden layers and it doesn't show the hidden layers... I do it all the time.

When you save in an image format, it flattens the image based on visible layers and then writes it to that images format.

Wrong.
    Nope.
    You can save images with hidden layers and it doesn't show the hidden layers... I do it all the time.

When you save in an image format, it flattens the image based on visible layers and then writes it to that images format.
    We're talking about 2 different things here. You're flattening and saving as a non-PS format. I had assumed he was saving these as PSD files, one for each layer. Apples vs oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by SwitchFX
    With the layer styles? Hmm, I remember avoiding that several years ago when I was still on version 7.
    CS4 is far and away more advanced than 7. I fool with it constantly and still learn new things with just about every use.

Nope.

We're talking about 2 different things here. You're flattening and saving as a non-PS format. I had assumed he was saving these as PSD files, one for each layer. Apples vs oranges.

CS4 is far and away more advanced than 7. I fool with it constantly and still learn new things with just about every use.
    .PSD's aren't images though. He was planning on using images for each page. :/

Wasn't sure if you misunderstood what he was asking or were just wrong.

Get ready for newer versions of PS... They plan on including 3d animation into the software for the future. They slowly getting rid of other software by merging into Photoshop as if they are trying to create one super graphic software.

.PSD's aren't images though.
    Sure they are. They are images with the Photoshop extension of .PSD, which supports layers and more. JPG is another type of image, as is GIF, PNG, TIFF and so on.

All images, with different properties and uses.

Here's what he was asking:
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Pixel
    "yes you are right! how to do it?"

Sure they are. They are images with the Photoshop extension of .PSD, which supports layers and more. JPG is another type of image, as is GIF, PNG, TIFF and so on.

All images, with different properties and uses.

Here's what he was asking:

"yes you are right! how to do it?"
    PSD = Photoshop Document. Its a document not an image. It may be able to store images, but so does word documents.

Try using a PSD as an image on a website.

PSD = Photoshop Document. Its a document not an image. It may be able to store images, but so does word documents.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop
    "Photoshop's native format, stores an image with support for most imaging options available in Photoshop."
    Try using a PSD as an image on a website.
    Lack of browser support for PSD does not signify it's "not an image file". Being lossless, it's usually too large anyway to even be considered. I think we've covered PS now, thanks.

The PSD argument from Nickerson goes out the door with multilayer PNGs.

Thanks for the info about 7>CS4, Bear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop
    "Photoshop's native format, stores an image with support for most imaging options available in Photoshop."

Lack of browser support for PSD does not signify it's "not an image file". Being lossless, it's usually too large anyway to even be considered. I think we've covered PS now, thanks.
    My word document stores images as well... guess those are images then. Not documents.

PSD != image.

<<removed>>

Quote Originally Posted by SwitchFX View Post
    The PSD argument from Nickerson goes out the door with multilayer PNGs.

Thanks for the info about 7>CS4, Bear.
    .PNG's aren't multi layered. They merely support the ability for transparency pixels. All images are flat. Only thing close to not being flat would be a animated .GIF, which is actually flat images which can rotate.
    Last edited by Mike V; 11-23-2009 at 06:44 PM.

In Fireworks they can.

By selecting single layer by pressing "ctrl" and the cursor, then by pressing "ctrl+N" you can take new file just paste the layer in the new file and then you can say as "ctrl+S" to save the particular file.

No to all of this.

I just remembered. Pick the Move Tool (V) and then select whatever layer it is you want in the pallet, then while clicking the layer and holding, drag it onto the new document the size of that layer. It'll take a copy of the layer you dragged with the correct size and effects.

Better than what others have suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by SwitchFX View Post
    No to all of this.
    Maybe not *all* of it.
    Better than what others have suggested.
    Or perhaps the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by bear Claus View Post
    True, or he'd need to open a new image as large as the main one and simply drag that layer to it then. Copies the whole shebang in that case.

Oh, this is what you meant? I assumed you meant the layer that had been flattened so all effects were set in concrete and couldn't be adjusted anymore. My bad!