Xen based cpanels

Gents,

We have a simpel question. If you choose a Xen based control panel and after a couple of months/years the cpanel dies. Can we move the guests to another Xen based control panel, without any problems?

Because it's Xen based, my guess would be: yes, without any problem. Just import the vdisk within the new cpanel.

You must mean Xen based VPS as no such things as a Xen based control-panel.

Yes, its easy to move a Xen VPS to another provider.
    UK SSD VPS without compromise - upto 250k IOPS !
    www.clustered.net

Quote Originally Posted by reiteration View Post
    You must mean Xen based VPS as no such things as a Xen based control-panel.

Yes, its easy to move a Xen VPS to another provider.
    I suspect you may have misunderstood the question.

I don't think it would as easy to move existing guests to a new control panel, since the control panel itself would likely store details and configurations of its guests in a database during creation and use...

Well reiteration is correct. I'm talking about a Xen VPS, which has been created by, let's say, FluidVM. Now FluidVM dies and no updates/releases are brought out, so we have to look for another cpanel. It's my understanding that when we use FluidVM with a Xen Hypervisor on an iSCSI storage, we can easily install a new server with HyperVM and Xen, import the VPS and start it, without any conversion needed.

Daniel, it's not our intention to migrate the database of the cpanel. It's our risk that we chose a wrong cpanel. I just want to make sure, we can migrate easily to a new cpanel.

Is your VPS managed? You may want to try to check the error logs, there may be something going wrong. You should try to ask your provider to verify this.

Maybe this is quite simple to solve, and move to another VPS is not the best option.
    Copahost.com | Established in 2008
    Managed dedicated servers - Activation in 4 hours | Managed & Cheap VPS servers (KVM) - Instant activation
    █ cPanel/WHM | Microsoft SPLA Partner | R1Soft | CloudLinux | Paypal & BTC payments
    Datacenters in Portugal and Germany | Many servers in stock | For custom configurations: sales @ copahost.com

lordcage. I don't get your answer, because I'm only suggesting a fictif case. I don't own a VPS, I sell them! :-)

Because we are in the process of making a decision which control we are going to use, I want to make sure we choose the right one, before we migrate 18 VPS servers to the new control panel.

Our choice is Xen hypervisor, so we want a cpanel who can manage Xen guests. And we want to be cpanel independant. So when the company who sells the cpanel dies, we want to make the shift to another control panel easy.