Exclamation I registered a domain for 10 years but whois says it expires next year

Two months ago I registered a .info domain name for 10 years, today I did a whois on my .info domain and I see that it expires in one year.

I emailed my registrar asking why the whois does not show the 10 years registration I paid for and their explanation for this is that they automatically extend my registration each year at the Registry level and Afilias (the .info administrator) already has the funds deposited in their account as they work in a pre-paid manner only.

Is it truth that the .info domain name only works in a prepaid manner???

I would be specially interested in knowing about people with a .info domain registered for more than one year, does it show that way for you as well?

I am now concerned about what would happen if I transfer my domain somewhere else, would I lose all the years I paid for?

Thank you for help

This sounds very fishy to me. The domain should show the expiration date that you paid for, nothing short of that is acceptable. You already paid for it. The provider should not be holding your money in escrow.

Which registrar did you register your domain with?
    DigiPun.ch
    An Awesome Digital Punch Clock
    Release date: October 1st

Normally d company will renew the domain for 10 years for you if you have purchased 10 years. What if they forgot renew for you? Will d registrar system auto deduct? Erm... it does sound fishy.
    ¨€ ******** NETWORK # Your Excellent Hosting Partner
    ¨€ Web Hosting | Domain Registration | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated Server Hosting
    ¨€ Web: http://www.********.com

Who is the registrar ? I would contact them to discuss further. Provide proof of payment to them and you should be okay.
    █████Deltrum Web Hosting - Business Grade Hosting Solutions
    █████Shared & Reseller Hosting, Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers
    █████High Quality Apache Servers with cPanel and Daily Off-Site Backups
    █████w: deltrumweb.com e: hosting@deltrumweb.com t: 0845 054 7512

Sounds suspicious indeed. Like others I'd be interested who the registrar is and if you registered just the domain or bought anything else?

The domain reseller is holding the funds and will keep on renewing the domain for one year at the end of each year.

If you transfer out the domain, you will lose all the money paid to him for the years he is holding your funds.

For domain registration, the whois info should show the expiry till the date you have paid for.

Insist him to add the remaining years right away and you do not want one year to be added each year. In this case you won't have to keep a follow-up and a check every year that your domain has been extended for another year.

Paul
    Bagfull Interweb Inc.
    Windows and Linux Affordable Hosting and Cheap Domain Names.
    Powerful Dual Xeon Processors, 24x7 Support, PayPal Accepted
    http://www.bagfull.net/

The registrar I used is Internet.BS I have been with them for a while and quite happy so far, I also have .com and .net domain names with them, I registered those domain names for 10 years as well and they all show the right expiration date, the problem is only with the .info TLD.

For what I understand, from their email, my registrar is not holding my funds, in fact they have already paid this out to the .info administrator, Afilias, but they claim the .info domain name only works in a prepaid manner, I never heard of such thing and I would like to find out if this is correct or not.

I registered a domain couple of months ago but later made a decision to add another year to it. That means I have total two years extended and that was reflected in the whois information. If I were you, I would demand an explanation from your registrar and the one given should not be acceptable.

http://manage.netearthone.com/kb/ser...et/faq943.html

The .EU Registry allows Renewal of a domain name for only one year. UK domain names can only be renewed for 2 years. But I can find nothing about .info's only being renewable for 1 year at a time.

Hmmm, yeah, think questions need to asked :

1) What if the registrar goes bust - pop, who pays for renewals then (Afilias wont) ?
    2) What if Afilias increase their prices say in 7 years time, who pays the difference ?
    3) Afilias you prepay yes, but you register a domain for say 5 years, you pay for all 5 years up front and therefore the expiry is in 5 years time.

For instance, we reg'd a domain for 3 years, .INFO and the expiry date is now 2012.

Personally if I were the OP I would demand the registrar pays the full 10 years up now, as you have paid it, and the full 10 years covered.
    Last edited by netearth; 11-19-2009 at 11:16 AM.
    NetEarth One
    ICANN Accredited Registrar, https://reseller.netearthone.com
    Full UK support, 7 days a week 365 days a year!

You make very good points Netearth and I will be raising some of those questions with my registrar, however I could not have failed to notice that your company Netearth has the same policy in regards to the .eu domain name, so maybe you can answer question 1) and 2) ??

Taken from the link given above:

The .EU Registry allows Renewal of a domain name for only one year. However, NetEarth allows you to place a Renewal action for multiple years. If you choose to renew your .EU domain name for more than one year, then NetEarth will renew the domain name at its end for the number of years selected.

Quote Originally Posted by malcarada View Post
    You make very good points Netearth and I will be raising some of those questions with my registrar, however I could not have failed to notice that your company Netearth has the same policy in regards to the .eu domain name, so maybe you can answer question 1) and 2) ??

It is not NetEarth's policy. It is the policy of the .EU and .UK registries. NetEarth & internet.bs have to follow the registries policies. NetEarth points out that the .info registry (Aflilias) does not have a one-year-a-time renewal policy. That is just an internal Internet.BS policy.

if you pay for 10 years - your domain should be extended for 10 years and not a year less. It is a popular scam: they take money for 10 years and disappear.
    http://www.domainscams.co.uk/domain-...Formations.php

Well, all I can say is this...:

- I have a .info domain
    - I renewed it for four years last year
    - the Whois shows it as expiring in 2012

So - it looks like you're being lied to.

I have now solved the problem, I told my registrar that other people with a .info domain shows on the whois data for over a year.

Today I got this email from them:

no problem, I am asking our tech. depart. to force instant renewal now for the full period.

It should be done within 24 ours or less
    Well I am still a happy Internet.BS customer then, I do not like the way I accidentally discovered that the domain names where not showing up as registered for 10 years, but once I complained they put things right without arguing too much about it.

Their first email also gave the impression that this was not possible, and it is only thanks to this forum that I found out otherwise.

Thank you
    Last edited by zobe; 11-19-2009 at 07:50 PM.

Good to hear you have got the extension put onto your domain name - good practice by the registrar to just get on and do it.

In asnswer to 1 and 2 from MY point of view :

1) If a prepayment is taken it should go into a seperate client account, this is used then to pay for any forward purchased service, and is untouched should anything go wrong. .EU as most will kow with us is through the LB platform, LB have stated to me that for the .EU domain, the platform does not issue a DELETE command until the final year paid for.

2) Quite clearly the registrar, if they have taken a prepayment, you as a customer have "fixed" your pricing for that period of time. This also means that should a "renewal" special be in force within the term of your domain duration, you do not benefit from the cheaper price.

Chris
    NetEarth One
    ICANN Accredited Registrar, https://reseller.netearthone.com
    Full UK support, 7 days a week 365 days a year!

Sounds suspiciously like a case of Internet BS. hmm?
    424 bits were harmed in the making of this signature.

Your domain registrar is a fraudster, once they have enough money from other customers such as yourself they will disappear with all the cash.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

Hi,

another possibility is that they have the money working up interest in one of their bank accounts, possibly set for long loan which can fetch them some 4 to 5%. Depending on how many .info customers they have and how many of those register for longer than a year, this can mean anything from a few hundred to sums in the upper 5 figures.

Also a possibility is that they used renewal money to bridge financial gaps, which for me would be a sign to evacuate the sinking ship.

Did you get the validity extended ?
    ██ Harris, Sales Rep
    ►◄sales@sunshellhosting.com,sales@whmphp.com
    ♫♫ Reliable WHM Master Reseller Hosting Since 3+ Years
    ♫♫ WHMPHP Master Reseller Control Panel

Quote Originally Posted by SunShellNET View Post
    Did you get the validity extended ?
    Everything is solved now, please read post #16 to find out, I am now unsubscribing from this thread.

I have now solved the problem, I told my registrar that other people with a .info domain shows on the whois data for over a year.

Today I got this email from them:

Well I am still a happy Internet.BS customer then, I do not like the way I accidentally discovered that the domain names where not showing up as registered for 10 years, but once I complained they put things right without arguing too much about it.

Their first email also gave the impression that this was not possible, and it is only thanks to this forum that I found out otherwise.

Thank you
    Following a request for comments on another thread:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...=1#post6678014

I am pleased to provide more details about the issue encountered by malcarada, the historical reasons and confirm that the issue has been fully addressed for all, including existing and new customers.

As you know, we are registering domains in real-time and we are confronted to credit card fraudsters on a daily basis, as such when a domain was registered for more than 1 year, we were putting funds in reserve at the Registry and manually validate the registration for subsequent years after being sure there would be no chargeback risk, it typically took 6 months to be 100% sure no chargeback would be issued. At the same time funds were deposited at the corresponding Registry, so we were not holding funds, instead we were not explicitly sending the renewal command in order to protect our company from potential fraudsters. Of course as mentioned by malcarada such a procedure was affecting honest customers as well. However we were gladly renewing domains immediately after double checking there was no potential chargeback risk if a customer as malcarada was requesting it.

The above procedure was followed in the past and because of the comments we received, including comments on the present thread, we decided to take the risk and immediately renew domains, no matter if we had to assume chargeback fees later on because of some fraudsters. Our aim is to make happy our customers and we found the credit card fraud cost is largely offset by the extra assurance we can provide to our current and perspective customers.

As a conclusion, if you buy domains for more than 1 year at Internet.bs Corp. you will now see your renewal effective at the Registry level within 24 hours or sooner.
    The first year is processed immediately and subsequent years are added within 24 hours just to allow us a little background fraud verification. Note now the renewal is processed automatically and no human intervention is needed.

I hope the above clarify the situation and reassure all of you. As always I am available to answer further questions, just PM or add a comment on the thread.

Understanding the exact reason is important so thanks for writing this post and explaining in details.