Hybrid View

* Aussies Brace the Big Heat ...

It seems an un-ending tale of the heat that relentlessly hits Australia, However, Today November 19th 2009 it seems that several states and towns within those states are heading for conditions just as worse as Black Saturday

Let me emphasise on some of these now:-

Adelaide (SA): 43°C = 109°F
    Ceduna (SA): 45°C = 113°F
    Griffith (NSW): 44°C = 111°F
    Canberra (ACT): 37°C = 99°F
    Broken Hill (NSW): 44°C = 111°F
    Bourke (NSW): 46°C = 115°F

I had a look in some of these areas and to 6am it was already 89.6°F.
    You would of thought that it was over when Melbourne hit 118.4°F = 48°C though I guess we were wrong on this occasion.

I am going to keep an eye on these temperatures thoughout the day because we might see a lot of new records on the cards.

Seany
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Yeah, it's hot for spring, that's for sure! Luckily I have A/C in the office, so I can escape the heat in there.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

*shrugs*

The only time I have to bear the heat here in Canberra is when I leave the office to get lunch. Apart from that, we have pretty good air conditioning in our building so it's a very pleasant 21°C/70°F at my desk.

The air conditioning at home is also scheduled to turn on later this afternoon so it can cool the house for my arrival

GLOBAL WARMING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob View Post
    GLOBAL WARMING!!
    now's an opportune time to go grab some extra solar panels and storage cells mate.

owm
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Web Master View Post
    now's an opportune time to go grab some extra solar panels and storage cells mate.
    That'll have to wait for the next house, where I'll have a much bigger system. Patience grasshopper.

*shrugs*

The only time I have to bear the heat here in Canberra is when I leave the office to get lunch. Apart from that, we have pretty good air conditioning in our building so it's a very pleasant 21°C/70°F at my desk.

The air conditioning at home is also scheduled to turn on later this afternoon so it can cool the house for my arrival
    Lucky Bugger, I live in Queanbeyan at the moment and wee it was 38C today. Talk about sizzle at David Jones.

NSW just got their first catastrophic fire danger warnings today with total fire bans covering most of the state.

NSW just got their first catastrophic fire danger warnings today with total fire bans covering most of the state.
    I heard there was a few fires in South Australia and in New South Wales

Jes o!

I can barely survive when we get 26 degrees in the summer! I hope you guys enjoy the heat while I'm rolling around in snow next month

yep. 43 degrees in Adelaide, I slept the whole day
    Professional Banner Design
    5 Revisions | Fast Turn Around
    GoodBanners.com

31c (88F) beautiful here in Port Macquarie
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting

31c (88F) beautiful here in Port Macquarie
    Beautiful, Exactly the same here in Canberra. Been overcast pretty much all day though

13 section 44 declarations for NSW although the temp here in sydney has dropped to a nice 25 degrees.

Already a few fires around NSW now
    - I wonder how the new "Catastrophic" Rating will be used this summer.

Already been used in South Australia and NSW, I wonder if we might see some dangerous weather after November as this has been the hottest ever so far.

If it makes anyone over there feel better, it's bucketing down with rain in the UK
    Hello

Hello Peter,

In fact, You can keep that rain

Why, You may ask?

- We had 4 Moderate to Severe Floods in January to June this year.
    - Odd heat in August of up to 15+ above the average.
    - A bushfire, Not a huge one but still to be classed as one.
    - Another Flood in October/November
    - Now Temperatures are back to once again 40c+

Wow so I would stick away from Australia for quite some time. Giggle.

Nah, Seriously I do enjoy the rain and the UK seems to be the perfect spot to be for it at the moment.

To make matters much worse, There is another Catastrophic Bushfire Alert for Sydney and eastern NSW today.

Read Article:-

The Rural Fire Service has used improved weather conditions overnight to attempt to bring a fire threatening the townships of Kandos and Rylstone in central-west NSW under control.

The fire, fanned by strong winds, came within 3 kilometres of Rylstone.

But firefighters will be given no reprieve with weather conditions expected to deteriorate today with winds and high temperatures forecast.

More than 1,000 fire fighters will be on the ground, supported by over 70 aircraft.

Mark Sullivan from the RFS says its predicted their main concern will continue to be the two fires at Rylestone and Kandos.

"One we're calling the Pinnacle Swamp fire which is burning approximately six kilometres west of Rylestone, it's burnt approximately 500 hectares at this stage and we're watching that quite intensly," he said.

"Containment work has taken place overnight and bulldozers and graders were in use and obviously backburning was also occuring."

It has been the hottest November on record in New South Wales and Friday's lightning strikes sparked dozens of fires across the state.

The head of forecasting at the Bureau of Meteorology Robb Webb says today's expected weather conditions are a dangerous mix.

'We're expecting temperatures to rise back up to near 40 degrees in Sydney and across much of the north-eastern part of New South Wales we could see temperatures towards the mid 40's," he said.

"Ahead of a strong front approaching we'll see wind speeds get up to 30 to 40 kilometres an hour and that will put pressure on those lightning strikes that have been started in recent days."

Mark Sullivan from the Rural Fire Service says there are over 100 fires burning around the state, mostly in remote and inaccessible terrain in the Blue Mountains the Hawkesbury region and northern areas.

"Across New South Wales there are approximately in excess of 100 fires burning around Sydney and from the Hawesksbury and the Blue Mountains up into the Piliga to Glen Innes and Severn, Narrabri and Rylestone, Kandos areas," he said.

The RFS says under these conditions, firefighting will be extremely difficult and there may be significant threats to property.

It says people on rural properties to the west of Kandos and Rylstone should follow the advice of firefighters.

"If you do not have a Bush Fire Survival Plan, or you have doubts about your ability to protect your property, leave early," a spokesman said.

"Under these conditions fires will be uncontrollable, unpredictable and fast moving.

"Embers will be blown ahead of the fire, creating spot fires in many different directions.

"Spot fires will start up to six kilometres ahead of the main fire and they will move quickly.

"These spot fires may threaten your home earlier than the predicted main fire front."

It is believed the Kandos fire was started by a lightning strike and it has so far burnt 500 hectares of bush and grass.

The fire has burnt through 500 hectares of bush and grass, and jumped the nearby Windamere Dam.

More fire crews were brought in to help fight the large fire.

The Federal Government has authorised the use of an RAAF base for planes fighting the fires in New South Wales.

The Federal Attorney-General Robert McClelland says the State Government requested the use of the Richmond airbase north-west of Sydney.

Trevor Reeves from the NSW RFS says residents in the Kandos and Rylstone areas should make sure their properties are prepared.

"Even if they are leaving early, they should try to ensure that all the companion animals are either in bare paddocks or locked up in stables at well prepared properties," he said.

"This will ensure the animals are looked after, as well as the human element."

Steve Murray helped a friend shift a flock of 1000 sheep to a nearby river on his friend's property near Rylstone.

"It's hot, it's very hot," he says.

"It's just dry.

"The winds moving pretty fast and we're just putting the sheep in the yards and will then probably evacuate."

- ABC

- ABC

© ABC 2009
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hot. Sydney.PNG  

"Spot fires will start up to six kilometres ahead of the main fire and they will move quickly.
    only six km? back in the 1994 fires, embers from sydney ended up in new zealand, still hot enough to cause spot fires.

only six km? back in the 1994 fires, embers from Sydney ended up in New Zealand, still hot enough to cause spot fires.
    You do have a valid point there, It can be classed the same as Dust Storms. Look at the dust storm that hit Sydney, It ended up in New Zealand aswell. It would be possible to travel more than 6kilometeres, Though, I think this is hard to predict at the best of times.

-ATH