which ssd to buy

I only want ssd with slc for the reason of longer lifespan
    im considering buying this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227484
    but if you have any ssd to recommend please reply and the rason for it. it is for my server to store the server os and database
    im also thinking order one more for personal usage like playing games and multitask with application

The question I have to ask is it really worth 6$ per GB? Versus the alternative of putting a few drives in a raid array? I understand you want it for the lifespan of the drive however prices will drop at some point and it will be much more affordable on price per gb.

well i have enough money to spend 30 of those tbh lottery won hehe
    but if i invest two of those and go with raid0 the performance would increase more than going with sata with raid array, right?
    But how long will you assume the price drop for the ssd? 2 years or 4 years?
    Or should i maybe wait till black friday and ask a pal of mine to order to get some discount?

Well if you have the money, why not go up to the 128GB drives. Personally I'll be waiting until the price drops until I pick up one of these.

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...Z%20Technology

i hope ssd's are better than my experience with them. I had a netbook with a SSD drive in it and it was extraordinarily sluggish.

Quote Originally Posted by w2interactive View Post
    i hope ssd's are better than my experience with them. I had a netbook with a SSD drive in it and it was extraordinarily sluggish.
    well ssd have alot of different systems and specs so likely the company installed a cheap budget ssd.

Quote Originally Posted by Z5-Karl View Post
    Well if you have the money, why not go up to the 128GB drives. Personally I'll be waiting until the price drops until I pick up one of these.

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...Z%20Technology
    the one you linked is mlc thus shorter lifespan and performance slower than slc and the one i linked from newegg

Well the slc i want to order only have 60 gb they dont have more. Beside i think its better buying several ssd and run raid than having one large chunk of space in one physical unit

came accross this seems very attempting since it has two seperate controllers and raid configuration but its mlc
    wondering is it worth going for this instead the slc
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...odlist=froogle

Quote Originally Posted by Maikon View Post
    well ssd have alot of different systems and specs so likely the company installed a cheap budget ssd.
    yeah you're probably right

I actually have one of these in my gaming PC, which my wife is still pissed at me for. However if I had to do it again, I would get the 120GB favor, although its still in the high $600 price range ;(

All in all, this drive is fast, tiny, but fast. I did get an older one however and had to update the firmware on it. And for the love of GOD, if you get one, don't defrag it!
    Keith Mitchell,Dedicated & Virtual Server Engineer,Hosting.com
    Check out my Technical Blog - Keithdmitchell.com

hehe yeah i know about the defrag i never actually done defrag on my traditional sata since 2001.

Well im leaning more towards the SLC 60 gb. but would it possible i go with this one and a budget MLC at 240gb and go with raid 0 with no issues? would improvement increase or vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by Maikon View Post
    hehe yeah i know about the defrag i never actually done defrag on my traditional sata since 2001.

Well im leaning more towards the SLC 60 gb. but would it possible i go with this one and a budget MLC at 240gb and go with raid 0 with no issues? would improvement increase or vice versa?
    Other than the increased storage, I don't really see any benefit there. Going with the MLC means you lose the 64MB onboard cache and slower seek times, it likely won't be worth it.
    Keith Mitchell,Dedicated & Virtual Server Engineer,Hosting.com
    Check out my Technical Blog - Keithdmitchell.com

newegg has a $175 OFF coupon on Intel 160GB G2 SSD! $414.00 OUT THE DOOR, wowowowow. use code BFPEEKSSD160

go get em!
    CapeWP.com
    CapeWP.com - WordPress for all of us