Getting customer reviews

I am curious to hear some of your thoughts about getting your existing customers to give a review for your site.

Is it really that important? I mean, do you find that people actually read the reviews or not? If people are reading the reviews do they make a purchasing decision based on them?

If you think it is a good idea, is it considered bad if you ask them to give a review or should you just hope they do it?

Also would you offer an enticement for a review to your existing customers or just let them follow through on their own?

Thanks for any info.

It will definitely increase the credibility of your business if you display legitimate customer reviews on your website, by this I mean a review with the customer name and url/email perhaps?
    Antony Mascarenhas How can I help? antony_m@zysek.com
    Zysek Technologies Pvt. Ltd. - Indian Datacenter ¦ Hyderabad & Mumbai
    Web Hosting · Virtual Servers · Dedicated Servers · Colocation · Managed Services

The Best time to ask for a review of your service is when you can fix a problem for a customer or offer some kind of gesture of good will. Turning a customer problem into a positive is always a good time, because the customer is already engaged with you for help and by providing them a solution, they are already feeling grateful.
    - Donovan K
    Want to monitor and manage your customers Windows systems by Client software, web portal, or mobile phone?
    Automated scripts, patching, and remote access too? Ask me how!

Thanks for the info.

So you would recommend getting testimonials and displaying them on my site. What about some of the hosting review sites out there? Do you find a steady stream of customers from those sites?

Regards,
    Brandon

always get the client to post the url, otherwise it just looks fake!
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

Prospective customers definitely make purchasing decisions based on reviews.

Asking the customers for reviews is a bit sketchy.

Giving them any type of incentive for a positive review is definitely unethical.
    Ask me about CloudCentrum (coming soon) -- The complete, turn-key cloud software solution

I have a pretty small client base and pretty loyal. I don't get many support requests I think I have had two in the last year.

I think sending out an email to my existing customers and requesting a review with an explanation why I want them should work out okay. I am also planning on sending Christmas cards out as per a forum post on here, possibly that could be an avenue for requesting a testimonial.

Good customers are always ready to give a review particularly when they realise that you are not trying to exploit them. I mean I will be prepared to give an honest review about a provider of a service to my business but I will not tolerate being manipulated to doing so. Request for a review should be done in a sound and fair atmosphere and am sure the customer will/can oblige.

I find it best when a client surprises me a with a review/testimonial. Those are the only ones we put up on the site. Possibly because they are the most sincere ones, so why bother with trying to get them out of other clients. If the client is happy, they will tell you about it, simple as that.

Giving them any type of incentive for a positive review is definitely unethical.
    I agree, the incentive would just be to make sure they followed through with a review, good or bad. I asked about that to get some opinions, if it was something that was not deemed a big deal it might be something to try. The more I think about it, the more it sounds foolish to have even asked about it.

I know for me personally I would not want a fake review or a purchased review. I can see how a client may feel compelled to give a good review in light of a freebie or some other enticement.

Since honest critique is what makes my service better I would want truthful reviews good or bad.

I find it best when a client surprises me a with a review/testimonial.
    I get those from existing clients now, I do like that too. I just thought about being more proactive.

Early on when I first starting hosting a site, the company I was hosting with requested a review. At first I was a little put off. I thought about it and eventually gave them a glowing review and have been a client of theirs for 5 years now. I gave them that review based on their performance.

If requesting reviews/testimonials isn't a preferred option, what do you suggest for getting reviews?

Regards,
    Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by ZanyHost View Post
    always get the client to post the url, otherwise it just looks fake!
    I agree with you. much webhosting testimonials showing them that there is a fake

Quote Originally Posted by alias454 View Post

If requesting reviews/testimonials isn't a preferred option, what do you suggest for getting reviews?

Brandon
    I personally would not say asking for reviews/testimonials isn't a good option but I would say the atmosphere is most important. The customer giving the review should not be allowed to see it as being corced in one form or the other.