Web hosting Noob

So I'm a noob and im trying to figure out where I should register and host my website.
    Preferably a reasonably priced site.
    I see namecheap is a liked website around here and I am thinking about using them.

It will be a flash game website.

Thanks

I would suggest registering your domain somewhere different from where you buy your hosting. This will save any troubles later if you decide to change host. As far as a host is concerned how much space and bandwidth are you looking for? Any specific requirements for your games to run? What is your budget?
    Currently hosting with Big Brain Global Networks

I agree, unless your sure you will be sticking with that host its better to get a domain elsewhere. You ofter hear about hosts keeping people's domains when they cancel the account because it is registered with them. Then paypal won't back the charges as it is digital. Best bet is to use a different host for a domain, then a host for the actual space.
    Looking For Inexpensive Design solutions?
    Professional work?
    Short on time? Well, then it's about time to try-
    DLJohnston-Amoung the best prices on the market.

Namecheap and MyDomain are the two I use for registering domains, sometimes MyDomain is cheaper, sometimes they're the same. I'd look on retailmenot.com for a coupon to either of them though. As for hosting there's plenty of hosts around here and I'm sure one of them can help you get started and even walk you through simple steps.

I suppose you need to look around and to learn the possible alternatives.
    Then learn the TOS, because I'm not sure if each web hosting service company will allow you to have flash game on the shared server. Better discuss that beforehand

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleH View Post
    I would suggest registering your domain somewhere different from where you buy your hosting. This will save any troubles later if you decide to change host. As far as a host is concerned how much space and bandwidth are you looking for? Any specific requirements for your games to run? What is your budget?
    Im going to guess about 2-5 gigs bandwidth daily (rough estimate just looking at similar sites on websiteshadow.com)
    Requirements for games to run is flash
    budget would be preferable under $10 per month for hosting

Quote Originally Posted by BAD_COMPANY View Post
    Im going to guess about 2-5 gigs bandwidth daily (rough estimate just looking at similar sites on websiteshadow.com)
    Requirements for games to run is flash
    budget would be preferable under $10 per month for hosting
    For 60 GB - 150 GB of *usable* bandwidth, you will need to raise your budget.

Remember that a flash game site uses up quite a bit of bandwidth, and 150 GB bandwidth (and even 60 GB) would end up costing more than $10/month (to the client) in non-oversold terms.

Perhaps you will need to raise your budget a bit or look to use less than 60 GB of bandwidth?
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

Well then again he is just starting out; I doubt you will be using that 2 - 5 GB right away. If you aren't a network site of another popular site then you more than likely will be okay with about any host you choose.

Just go with one that could help you scale (at least in the short run). If you ever become extremly popular then you will more than likely move to dedicated servers.
    bihira.com | 10+ Years of Web Hosting Experience!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    cPanel | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Softaculous
    Find us on facebook and follow us on twitter @bihira

I use godaddy as a domain registrar but namecheap is good too. However getting a host from somewhere else is always better because if you decide to change your host in the future, they may make a problem.

You are fine with the budget you have. Namecheap is good for domain registration. I used to use them a few years ago. Now they should be bigger. AS far as for the web hosting services.. there are plenty of good providers around and I don't think that I would make suggestions. Just search for reviews and try to find out mroe about web hosts business history.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

Depending on your budget a company like Hosting.com would have everything you need and room to grow. They offer domain name registration and shared hosting. They also offer cloud hosting which is really neat. It allows you to scale with your growth. You can login to your control panel and add diskspace, memory or CPU on the fly. Plus you have the ability to reboot and install software.

Greg Moeck

I like namecheap - I found that their services are really good - customer service too! I have never tried the hosting with them. I doubt that a big company like namecheap will cause any issues if you bought them together. I would recommend looking elsewhere too - I believe that you may get a better deal - but don't be fooled by prices which seem too low to be true, it generally means that it actually was too low to be true and may find yourself without a host and without a domain!! Read reviews, look around. I think that's the key!

Good Luck!
    alex

Yes I fully agree that you should better keep this two hosting and your domain registrar separate. As there is lot much trouble when its comes to change the hosting provider. The old host might not release your domain keys.
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    KeserHosting.Com

flash websites do use quite a bit of bandwidth and some hosting companies do not allow them, make sure you read the webhost's term of services carefully.

Beware of the unlimited/unmetered plans, if you are thinking to get one for "unlimited bandwidth" better talk to your potential provider before about how far you can push that unlimited.

I will register my domain with namecheap.
    Hosting I will worry about later

Namecheap is a great registrar, I use them personally. I'll echo the sentiments of others and say diversify your web hosting and domain registration. Trust us on that one, we've seen too much play out negatively when you have both at one place.

If you have any other questions, just ask. It also might not hurt, when you come to the step, to query potential hosting choices and see how much help they'll provide you with. Some hosts go farther than others when dealing with newbies.

You've already started out down the right path, good choice by coming to WHT!

So I'm probably going to register my domain with namecheap (thoughts?)

Cirtexhosting looks like a good site for hosting.
    What are your opinions on it?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Rose View Post
    I use godaddy as a domain registrar but namecheap is good too. However getting a host from somewhere else is always better because if you decide to change your host in the future, they may make a problem.
    That isn't a problem with us (NameCheap).
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

I just registered my domain with namecheap
    I wont start hosting for a month or 2
    Im going to take your guys advice and not host where my domain is

Thanks