cPanel disk usage incorrect issue

Hi everyone,
    Thank you for reading my post.

I have noticed the issue on my shared hosting server. I have cent os 5.4 with cPanel/WHM installed.

I found out a lot of accounts in WHM are using a lot of disk space, more than they should. So I take a deep look about this, and found the reason:
    cPanel is counting files in EAccelerator cache.
    I have suPHP enabled, so the files in EAccelerator cache are belong to the user, and cPanel count them into disk usage, cause my issue.

Now I have to disable EAccelerator, because I don't know how to fix this, any idea about this?

Thanks for your help!
    Best regards.

Hm, that's really interesting issue. What did cPanel support day?
    Hosting24.com Web Hosting - First class web hosting services.
    Boxbilling - Complete billing, invoicing and client management system.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosting24 View Post
    Hm, that's really interesting issue. What did cPanel support day?
    I'll update here when they reply.

Please do so, I'm interested to see their answer because cached (tmp) files shouldn't be counted, I believe

After talking with cPanel, they told me to move cache files to another HDD and disable quota on that HDD.
    I'll try later to see if this can fix my problem.

Just a follow up question:
    Is that safe to disable quotas on / mount?

my /home folder is in another HDD that have quota enabled, so now I'll have to put my EAccelerator cache to the other HDD, which is under / mount and all cPanel and OS files are there. cPanel tech told me cPanel will unable to count some small files in /etc but all those files are small so doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by likerise View Post
    After talking with cPanel, they told me to move cache files to another HDD and disable quota on that HDD.
    I'll try later to see if this can fix my problem.
    cPanel support team provides really "useful" and "helpfull" answers in most cases...

cPanel support team provides really "useful" and "helpfull" answers in most cases...
    Wow, "useful" and "helpfull"...
    So disable quotas on / mount is a bad idea?

It's not a bad idea, but if cPanel has no idea how to fix their own bugs, they just post stupid replies.

For example, we have many servers. One of servers does not generate awstats and WHM displays message that it's due to high server load. Now here comes the funniest part - this server has the lowest number of accounts and the lowest load (when compared to other servers we own). But WHM/cPanel refuses to generate awstats (and we have increased time delay between stats updating intervals).

So we have contact cPanel and asked to fix this issue. And they wrote - It seems there is a unique situation and there is nothing we could help, except suggesting to increase delay even more.

It's not a bad idea, but if cPanel has no idea how to fix their own bugs, they just post stupid replies.

For example, we have many servers. One of servers does not generate awstats and WHM displays message that it's due to high server load. Now here comes the funniest part - this server has the lowest number of accounts and the lowest load (when compared to other servers we own). But WHM/cPanel refuses to generate awstats (and we have increased time delay between stats updating intervals).

So we have contact cPanel and asked to fix this issue. And they wrote - It seems there is a unique situation and there is nothing we could help, except suggesting to increase delay even more.
    Maybe they just don't want put too many time on a single user. Sometimes I would like to do business with small company because they care you more. But, my clients love cPanel so I have no choice...

And seems cPanel doesn't think my issue is a bug, I am just posting the final answer here, but if you see the full ticket, you'll find it's kind of funny.
    1, Their reply is really fast, but it's for another ticket, they send it to me by mistake. I pointed that out, and, never mind, everyone made mistakes.
    2, They told me I need trun on userquota in /etc/fstab and then run /root/fixquotas, Hmmm, seems he did not took a careful look about my server.
    3, I point out I have truned on userquota, and they told me "run /root/fixquotas", OMG I already said my user disk usage is correct now after I disable EAccelerator, so he didn't read my ticket carefully.
    4. I pointed out the disk usage info is already correct, they say "oh then you don't need run fixquotas".
    5. Now what should I do? They said "You need clean up the cache", "The easiest way is to create a script to clear out the session files every few hours and put it in a cronjob."

So they did not know how to fix it, just told me to delete it.

6. So it's my idea to move cache files to a HDD which have quotas disabled. And they say "Yes it will work!"

That's all.
    I am not sure disable quotas on / mount will cause issue or not, because I don't know much about Linux, that's why I asked here.
    Just keep thinking, how a newbie like me know that idea? How do I think about this in the first place?

I think I am just better than cPanel tech about thinking ideas....

cPanel is not at fault here; since you run suPHP the cache files are generated by the user instead of a generic userid php is running under; and all files generated by the user are counted towards the quota system, no matter where they are on the disk where quota is enabled.

So yes, moving the cache files to a disk without quota will solve the issue, as then those files are not calculated by the quota system (which is not a cPanel thing but a standard linux solutions used by cPanel).

If you like to have a solution you should not look at cPanel but rather at the Quota tools which are used to obtain this information.

Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    cPanel is not at fault here; since you run suPHP the cache files are generated by the user instead of a generic userid php is running under; and all files generated by the user are counted towards the quota system, no matter where they are on the disk where quota is enabled.

So yes, moving the cache files to a disk without quota will solve the issue, as then those files are not calculated by the quota system (which is not a cPanel thing but a standard linux solutions used by cPanel).

If you like to have a solution you should not look at cPanel but rather at the Quota tools which are used to obtain this information.

I am not saying it's their fault, like I said I don't know much about Linux so I don't know it's cPanel's bug or not.
    Only thing I am talking here is they do not have better solutions other than delete them. And then I came up with an idea and they said Yes!(I even don't know my idea is possible or not)
    But anyway, they helped me out, their reply is super-fast, I never wait longer than 10 mins, so I guess they are doing great there.

Hi,

As u said u have issue with ur cpanel disk usage issue so
    i would like to tell u v have some nice n good scripts which 'll claer all this issue by 99%....
    And as u said u have some of accounts which taking so much space...
    Have to do server audit for ur server.......?

Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    cPanel is not at fault here

cPanel never admits their faults in support tickets. They only admit their faults if hundreds of people post messages "fix that **** bug" on their forums.

Its seems to issue with user quota showing wrong disk space usage. Try running /script/fixquota scripts this will fix user accounts quota on cPanel server.
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    KeserHosting.Com