upgrade from sharde to Dedicated server

Hi everyone. I am very new to this forum. My web portal is in the process of design. My plan is to take a dedicated server once my site is complete but during testing purpose i want to use share hosting.

Please suggest any hosting company where i can easily test my site on a sharing host and then upgrade it easily to dedicated server.

Hi, Welcome to WHT.

My name is Gregorio R. Im a member of WHT forums.

So you want to launch your site but want to test it out on a shared hosting plan?

I think I have a great idea for you on how to save money.

If your site is going to be oon shared hosting just for 1-2 months why pay for it? You can try to go with a free web host, Althought that its just to use for purpose you can maybe have some down time here and there you will only be useing it right? So try out **********.com or x10hosting.com There two good free web hosting companies.

If you don't want to do this and pay about $5.00 a month for shared hosting then check out the Web Hosting Offers on the bottom of the forum.

Also I would like to include, why do you want you site on a dedi server? Is it important and you want a lot of control over it, Im telling you as a friend its hard to run a server, if anything look into a Managed VPS.

Thanks, Greg

may i ask why you need dedicated server if your site is still new
    PraHost - 7th Year of Excellence with Stability
    100Mbit, 100Tb & 1Gbps Unmetered Dedicated Servers In NL, DE @ Leaseweb
    Pay via
    Paypal, Skrill, Payza, Webmoney, PerfectMoney and BitCoins

Just look at any provider that offers shared and dedicated plans.
    Hosted with ReliableSite.Net.

Quote Originally Posted by shan80 View Post
    Hi everyone. I am very new to this forum. My web portal is in the process of design. My plan is to take a dedicated server once my site is complete but during testing purpose i want to use share hosting.

Please suggest any hosting company where i can easily test my site on a sharing host and then upgrade it easily to dedicated server.
    Assuming you first get a shared hosting plan with cPanel, making the move should be pretty much seamless moving to a dedicated server using cPanel as well. Moving sites is quite easy and painless as you grow!
    Jeremy Anthony Kinsey ([email protected]) - 262-248-6759
    Budget Dedicated Servers/Colocation HostDrive.Com
    cPanel Hosting/Dedicated Servers HostingLizard.Com
    19 Years in the Hosting Business!

If I am in such a situation I will opt the gradual upgrades. I would have chosen a shared plan first for the site since the site is new. Then gradually upgrade it as it grows. Only thing you need to make sure is that the flexibility to change plans if you need.

Cloud hosting would be the best plan for you. You can start small and grow as needed without problems of switching servers. If you need more CPU, memory, diskspace just login to your control panel and make the adjustments on the fly, you pay for what you use, not overpay for something you might not need.

Greg Moeck
    <<removed>>
    Last edited by sirius; 11-17-2009 at 02:04 PM.

its easy to go from shared to dedicated because you're just transferring one account - you don't even have to worry about both services being in the same company. If you use cpanel/whm on both, transfers are very easy.

But as someone else asked, why do you think you need a dedicated server for a new site? Unless you plan on running anything resource heavy you won't need a VPS let alone dedicated server. You'd save a lot more money in the long run if you plan things out. But we'd still have to know what kind of site you are trying to run, it could be very resource intensive and in that case dedicated server would be the way to go.

How much space, bandwidth requierment?

Quote Originally Posted by Prajyot View Post
    I think he is looking for a shared provider that also offers dedicated servers.

I would stick with shared hosting! or at the very most a VPS sever.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

Quote Originally Posted by ZanyHost View Post
    I would stick with shared hosting! or at the very most a VPS sever.
    Agreed. If you don't know what your needs are exactly, moving to a dedicated server may not be cost effective for you, or at least not yet. You need to know what resources you are going to need first, a dedicated server may be overkill. If you don't want to go shared, at least consider a vps, as it just may be what you need.
    Keith Mitchell,Dedicated & Virtual Server Engineer,Hosting.com
    Check out my Technical Blog - Keithdmitchell.com

See you are new into this. So I would say just stock to shared hosting unless and until your hoster tells you to move out.

So the steps would be Shared Hosting -> VPS -> Dedicated Server

No point jumping into the dedicated server after 2 months. That way you would save a lot of money.
    Serverlogix.com - ★★ Managed VPS / Budget Servers / Colocation ★★
    Facilities : Atlanta, Buffalo and Las Vegas
    Web : http://www.serverlogix.comContact Us

Quote Originally Posted by Prajyot View Post
    There will be loads of wallpapers, videos and a vbulletin forum.
    Last edited by shan80; 11-23-2009 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kdmitchell View Post
    Agreed. If you don't know what your needs are exactly, moving to a dedicated server may not be cost effective for you, or at least not yet. You need to know what resources you are going to need first, a dedicated server may be overkill. If you don't want to go shared, at least consider a vps, as it just may be what you need.
    I want to start with a sharing account or VPS as you mention. But just to plan long term, I want to be sure that in future i can migrate to any other server easily.

I think if you are using your site for wallpaper, videos and vbulletin forums why not think of VPS if you are tied in between the shared and dedicated server. If you have a budget then I suggest to make a choice for manage VPS server. As it can handle that much traffic. Afterward you can think to upgrade to dedicated server.
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    KeserHosting.Com

Thanks everyone for ur help.

Quote Originally Posted by shan80 View Post
    Thanks everyone for ur help.
    No problem but update us once you take a decision.