Shall I learn by joining some hosting company

Dear Fellows

We are new to this field but we do have sufficient knowledge of computing, our hosting knowledge is just ABC. I would like to know how I can learn quickly technical aspects of hosting.

Do I need to learn server management before we get a VPS and start hosting [ Although route of reseller program will help us to focus on customer base ], or it is easier to switch when you grow from reseller to VRS and dedicated.

Although our budget is 25-50 but we can increase it if required to give reasonable start and consistent services.

We are very much concerned about the quality of services we provide so I thought it may be good idea to work on some datacenter or hosting company along with our business.

Regards

Hey,
    If I was you I would start on a reseller program. Maybe get a Alpha master reseller account which is much like VPS but easier to manage. Once you get a few customers and you understand how to manage your hosting company then upgrade your server to a VPS. This is the easiest way to learn the hosting market and to see if it is for you or not.
    Boutique Host || Driven by our Uptime and Customer Service Record with proven 99.9% uptime.
    Shared and Reseller Packages - cPanel - Softaculous - RVSiteBuilder - CloudFlare.
    Live Chat || 24/7 Technical Support || 30 Minute Average Technical Response Time.

If you are new in this field then I would say its better to go the reseller account. You would be able to learn lot from this about the client management. As I believe that the reseller is the best way get your feet stuck deep in this webhosting business. I would also suggest you a cPanel/WHM as its most user friendly panel.
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    KeserHosting.Com

learning the basics with a small reseller always helps. you don't want to jump to anything too quickly. Once you see growth, get a small VPS, that's where you will need some server management knowledge and after a while you'll get used to it - It's almost the same as a dedicated and you'll be ready for a dedicated when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by AveUgotaWkdSide View Post
    Hey,
    If I was you I would start on a reseller program. Maybe get a Alpha master reseller account which is much like VPS but easier to manage. Once you get a few customers and you understand how to manage your hosting company then upgrade your server to a VPS. This is the easiest way to learn the hosting market and to see if it is for you or not.
    how is an alpha master reseller the same as a vps? VPS gives you root access and you need a lot more knowledge to run a VPS than even a basic reseller because you'd have to know how to configure the entire VPS and I highly doubt alpha master allows root access.

Grow from a reseller to VPS and on up.

You will learn a little bit more with each step about how to manage the server/software/system.
    Anthony
    http://www.hostedplanet.com
    Hosting for Everyone
    Shared Hosting and Virtual Private Servers with friendly support

Quote Originally Posted by njoker555 View Post
    how is an alpha master reseller the same as a vps? VPS gives you root access and you need a lot more knowledge to run a VPS than even a basic reseller because you'd have to know how to configure the entire VPS and I highly doubt alpha master allows root access.
    Hey,
    I never said it gives you root access. I say start at a reseller then upgrade to an alpha master and see if you can handle the different types of accounts. Managed VPS is much the same, yes you dont have root access but when you are starting out, you dont need this. You can create different levels of reseller much the same. I am just saying its a good option to consider for a starting up company.
    Boutique Host || Driven by our Uptime and Customer Service Record with proven 99.9% uptime.
    Shared and Reseller Packages - cPanel - Softaculous - RVSiteBuilder - CloudFlare.
    Live Chat || 24/7 Technical Support || 30 Minute Average Technical Response Time.

Quote Originally Posted by nitGreen View Post
    Dear Fellows

We are new to this field but we do have sufficient knowledge of computing, our hosting knowledge is just ABC. I would like to know how I can learn quickly technical aspects of hosting.

Do I need to learn server management before we get a VPS and start hosting [ Although route of reseller program will help us to focus on customer base ], or it is easier to switch when you grow from reseller to VRS and dedicated.

Although our budget is 25-50 but we can increase it if required to give reasonable start and consistent services.

We are very much concerned about the quality of services we provide so I thought it may be good idea to work on some datacenter or hosting company along with our business.

Regards
    As everyone else has stated, starting out with a reseller plan is the best way to get your feet wet. As you grow you upgrade to VPS then dedi.

As far as working for a hosting company while running your own hosting company goes, you'll want to check with your potential employer on that. I know when I worked for a hosting company we were not allowed to in anyway compete with them, ie. not allowed to have affiliate accounts with them or other hosting companies or have our own hosting company. If we did and they found out we were in violation of our contract and would be terminated and possible legal actions could be brought against us.

Quote Originally Posted by AveUgotaWkdSide View Post
    Hey,
    I never said it gives you root access. I say start at a reseller then upgrade to an alpha master and see if you can handle the different types of accounts. Managed VPS is much the same, yes you dont have root access but when you are starting out, you dont need this. You can create different levels of reseller much the same. I am just saying its a good option to consider for a starting up company.
    I never said you said anything about a reseller having root access. I was just pointing out one huge difference since you said alpha reseller and vps are much like one another.

I also said you need far more knowledge to run and manage a VPS. In the end the outcome is the same, web hosting, but the path is pretty different.