VPS for sending email marketing

Hi:

I would like advice on buying a VPS to manage a mailing list. My problem is that shared hosting limit the number of emails per day that can be sent.

Does a VPS can handle a mailing list base of 15,000+ users? Are there any limits like on shared hosting?

Notes: I'm not planning on using a purchased list. My list is from opt-in subscribers only.

Any advice on this subject and/or recommendation is welcomed.

Thank you!

Limits depend on the host you choose. You can find hosts that offer unmetered bandwidth in the offers section.

Hi:

so in this case all depends on bandwidth?

As long as you can prove it's opt-in most hosts won't give you any problems.

And a VPS with 386 MB dedicated Dedicated RAM or greater should be able to handle 15,000 emails in stride.

Your bandwidth usage will depend on whether your emails contain attachments and the frequency at which you send them out. If they're just text based you shouldn't be using up that much bandwidth.
    Ask me about CloudCentrum (coming soon) -- The complete, turn-key cloud software solution

15k emails is going to take a good chunk of bandwidth. I dont see processor or RAM being a problem as much as the bandwidth.

Hi

well, the user list is from members of our forums, those who chose to receive email from us. But We would like to manage the newsletters apart with other software, and import our subscribers.

We send short plain text newsletters on the 99% of time and plan to send many of them, not daily but frequently.

My bet is that you'll be at around 150 GB's of bandwidth a month if all you do is send those emails from the VPS. Obviously that's a rough estimate.
    Ask me about CloudCentrum (coming soon) -- The complete, turn-key cloud software solution

Do you have any bandwidth stats from your current hosting?

We consumed 45 GB transfer on october

That is pretty modest. Are you planning on sending out more than just text emails?
    Unless your usage is going to grow quickly, it looks like almost any moderate VPS with fit your needs.

a bare vps with 384-512 meg ram will be just fin with you just make sure your can-spam compliant with the email marketing and you will also have to contend with isp's putting the ips of the server on internal block lists not public black lists as well.

other then that you should have no problem with any standard VPS just be sure to keep track on your bandwidth and upgrade as u need. Look for a provide that can scale to your future needs as you see them arise.
    Fully Managed | cPanel Shared Hosting | Windows Shared (coming soon) | R1Soft Daily Backups | FFmpeg packages
    Base 10 Hosting LLC
    follow us on twitter - @Base10Hosting

Plain text email is our choice to send email to members. And we plan to send them more often, not on a daily basis but frequently.

How often did you send them out in October?
    How freqently do you want to send them now?

You can use a rough guesstimate from the 45 GB to estimate your bandwidth.
    For example, if you sent your emails 3 times for October and you are going to send out new emails 12 times per month going forward, you might consume 4 times as much bandwidth.

Newsletter was sent 2 times.

We are planning to offer this service to more clients, calculating about two sendings per client, about 10 to 15, sometimes less, depends on demand and to not saturate members with emails from us.

I need to add that on the same server where the forum is hosted we run an ad server and our cms, along with a ticket system so the bandwidth consumption is shared between them.

Nothing you are saying seems like it is going to be a problem. I think the best thing is to identify a host and start working with them to deploy your app.

Ok, thank you Neil and thanks everyone who posted a reply

I don't think a mailing VPS would demand much bandwidth. Usually it demands a great CPU and just a few bandwidth.
    Copahost.com | Established in 2008
    Managed dedicated servers - Activation in 4 hours | Managed & Cheap VPS servers (KVM) - Instant activation
    █ cPanel/WHM | Microsoft SPLA Partner | R1Soft | CloudLinux | Paypal & BTC payments
    Datacenters in Portugal and Germany | Many servers in stock | For custom configurations: sales @ copahost.com

Don't waste your time trying to fudge your own email marketing. Email delivery is about reputation and white-listing -- something you don't have and couldn't maintain even if you did. There are endless rules and hurdles, every postmaster is different in their demands. For example, every ISP and webmail provider have different rules for the number of concurrent SMTP connections it will accept. Open too many and you will be blocked. Do it too often, you will find yourself blacklisted and/or on RBLs. Make sure you have set up RDNS correctly. Make sure you have used recognised authentication -- SPF, DomainKeys -- different providers use different methods. Make sure you don't hit too many dead accounts -- in other words, clean your bouncing email address out of your list before the impact your deliverability more widely.

Email is the highest ROI marketing tool, but don't think you can get away with doing it cheaply or amateurishly. Services like MailChimp and Campaign Monitor are dirt cheap and will almost certainly give you massively better KPI (delivery, opens, clicks, etc).

Have you considered something like Mailchimp, Constantcontact or Sailthru or are you dead set on handling your own mail?

They're pretty cheap and can definitely be much faster, can do tracking + ensure delivery unlike handling mail yourself

I have to agree with the above two posts, going with a solution like constantcontact.com would be your best choice, and in the long run also cheaper.

Thank you all

yes, I have considered companies as the ones you mentioned, and still doing research on them.

On the other hand, I asked a reputable vps provider about this matter and they told me that I need to configure rDNS, domain keys and SPF to avoid being blacklisted.

I appreciate all the current and future commments and advices on this subject.

Thanks!

You may want to consider getting a managed VPS server to do this. Constantcontact, Mailchimp and other solutions are great, high delivery rates, but if you have a big mailing database the price is very high also.

A well configured dedicated/vps would do the job at a lower price. As told before, do not forget to configure Rdns, SPF, etc.. And also you should limit concurrent connections, so that your SMTP will just make e.g. 5 connections at a time for each provider. This is a reasonable value that won't make you banned.
    Copahost.com | Established in 2008
    Managed dedicated servers - Activation in 4 hours | Managed & Cheap VPS servers (KVM) - Instant activation
    █ cPanel/WHM | Microsoft SPLA Partner | R1Soft | CloudLinux | Paypal & BTC payments
    Datacenters in Portugal and Germany | Many servers in stock | For custom configurations: sales @ copahost.com

Hi:

Yes, I'm considering outsourced services and yes, the price they charge is somehow expensive due to the number of emails I'm going to send, even if choosing a one time monthly fee for unlimited sending, because if I have nothing to send I still need to pay, and that is not profitable.

And yes, if going vps, a fully managed one would be my main choice. So, if choosing this second option, the next hard task would be finding a good mailing list manager software. This point me to a divided path: a web based one or a Windows one to use along with my own SMTP server..

Comments, please