How much bandwidth do I need?

I know it is very hard to answer this question without having specific websites already up, but I was wondering, generally, what kind of bandwidth do I need to get started in hosting? I have my own server and want to run it myself. Assuming I might start by hosting some personal websites and SMB websites, would I be OK with business-class cable, or do I need T1 or better? Just trying to get a feel for where I need to start. My residential cable would not do the job, I'm fairly certain of that. Plus, I want to keep it seperate from my personal network.

You'd be best off renting a server, or colocating one in a datacenter. It's important to remember that your home does not have redundant power, connections or proper environmental controls in place.

That said, if stability isn't that important to you (e.g. you wouldn't mind a couple hours of downtime a week), a business cable connection should be fine.
    Ask me about CloudCentrum (coming soon) -- The complete, turn-key cloud software solution

Thanks for your answer. At this point, I'm just learning and kicking some ideas around. Bandwidth is a pretty important part of working out a rough operating cost calculation. I'm going to start by putting up one or two personal sites on my own server, so I can learn the software and how to keep everything running. After that I may decide to get more serious.

Dallas, TX
    Can you get a static IP on your residential cable? Most companies will not give you one.
    Business cable is usually comparable in price to a VPS. If you get a VPS, it should be more reliable.

No, I can't get a static IP with my residential plan, but my IP rarely changes, so I just update my DNS from time to time. It's OK for experimenting, but obviously unacceptable if someone is going to be paying for service. I may just go the VPS route, as you said it's comparable in price to business-class cable.

Los Angeles, CA
    I'm running two devel servers in two states, one on a residential Verizon dry loop DSL line (3 Mbps down, 768 kbps up) and one on Comcast cable (20 Mbps down, 4 Mbps up). Both work equally well for development work and giving clients access to their under-construction site. So if it's not for production use and your ISP doesn't block the ports you want to use (80, 443?), go for it. My IPs also change once every 12-18 months, so the "dynamic" part isn't a problem at all. It depends on the ISP.
    Pings <1 ms, Unlimited Transfer, Lowest Price: http://localhost/