Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best router for colo cabinet hosting?

Hello,
    What in your opinion is the best router for colo cabinet hosting? Im thinking of starting a colo business since the market in my area seems to be rather thinly serviced for Hosting and Colocation. Im needing something that allows me to see which ports are using the most bandwidth.

Thanks

I would connect your servers and customers to a switch and connect that to your router.

For switchting I can go with cisco, foundry, extreme
    For routing I would recommend Juniper or Cisco

Thanks Dedicated.
    Which router model would you recommend? I would personally go with cisco but i remember reading about IOS vulnerabilities. Never personally used Juniper for routing.

For a colo outfit where you will be servicing many cabs/customers, you would want a 6500 series, 7600 series, or an ASR1k. Which one you need depends on alot of things like doing some research on your own...we cannot do it all for you.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Thanks FastServ. Just needed a model series to get started with research.
    Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedXL View Post
    I would connect your servers and customers to a switch and connect that to your router.

For switchting I can go with cisco, foundry, extreme
    For routing I would recommend Juniper or Cisco

Foundry XMR's make a great routing platform we are about to deploy them for our core in ashburn in a week or two. Will keep updates on how they are performing.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    For a colo outfit where you will be servicing many cabs/customers, you would want a 6500 series, 7600 series, or an ASR1k. Which one you need depends on alot of things like doing some research on your own...we cannot do it all for you.
    Also supposedly? Cisco has a upgrade for the 3bxls coming out to upgrade them to 2gb ram but you will need to upgrade your dfc cards at the same time as well. And it requires the new IOS to support it.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

Thanks all. Ill research the correct model and get back to you all with the results.

Do you have any budget for this router ?

Router choose depends on many factors. How many packets/traffic do you need to route ?

BGP routing protocol or just the default gateway ?

Im only offering 10Mbit services so i dont need something designed to switch/route 1gbit traffic. And for now im thinking ill just need it as a default gateway.

Budget wise, i havent even thought about it... something lower in price always is better for me.

You can think about cisco 2800. You can find a good one at nearly 1k USD used.

I think it is just more then enough for what you want to do, but you can grow without changing router. Mayba a ram upgrade or a software upgrade to use some special features.

Quickly scanning eBay i found a 2801 from a powerseller for 615 with free shipping. So it looks like that will be fine.

my 1000 USD was for the 2821. I suggest to you this router instead of the 2801 becouse it has 2 Gigabit ports (you'll need them in future) and it starts with 256 MBRam instead of 128 MB Ram.
    You can upgrade it up to 1 GB

Good thinking... why not plan ahead
    I was thinking of offering 10mbit out of 1 cab and 100mbit out of another later down the line.
    Maybe i should just pick up both of them, looks to be around 800 on ebay from powersellers with 2 gbit cards.

If money is an issue you don't need to be too savvy to run a open source development like pfsense or a near cheap like Mikrotik. I have a good luck with both and it's all I run.

Honestly, if you are willing to spend $1k and you are just starting out a 6500 w/SUP2 would more than meet your basic needs and you would already have the chassis and line cards in place that you could upgrade the supervisor as you grow.

May want to look into just doing that.

Schmitty, pfsense work with routables on both sides? Looks like a personal/soho type of nat firewall, unless im not seeing it properly? If itll work with routable on both interfaces that looks like it would work nicely

Thumbs up pfsense

pfsense is in no way home user or SO. You install it and try it with a basic 2 or 3 nic interface. It is very customizable and IS routable on both sides. They also have very helpful docs and good irc community at irc.freenode.net #pfsense. Doesn't cost a nickle. I have been running pfsense in very places and I know if you haven't already tried it, you'd be very impressed.

Perfect. Ill try that one first. the only thing id be worried about is the router system crashing, which is why im thinking of going with cisco/juniper.. But ill try and see which one is better.

If you're looking for entry level Juniper and only need default gateways the EX switches would easily handle your needs. They are switches with full routing capability, but not enough RAM to pull full routing tables from different providers. These have quickly become our default top of rack switches and make great edge routers for smaller setups. Really fantastic devices and priced very aggressively. The EX3200's in the $2200 range for 24 port.

Good luck -
    Applied Innovations (www.appliedi.net)
    Microsoft Gold Certified Hosting Partner, ASP.net Featured Host.
    Specializing in Windows Hosting since 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by WireSix View Post
    Honestly, if you are willing to spend $1k and you are just starting out a 6500 w/SUP2 would more than meet your basic needs and you would already have the chassis and line cards in place that you could upgrade the supervisor as you grow.

May want to look into just doing that.
    I agree, or you can put just a routing firewall in place.
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

Quote Originally Posted by tulix View Post
    I agree, or you can put just a routing firewall in place.
    Also on a budget a PIX 525, albeit older, is available at at great price and would easily be able to handle a few hundred mbps.

i recommend cisco or mikrotik , how much is your budget ?

If you're going to get a firewall anyways, a pair of Juniper SSG-140s can route 100 vlans, firewall (say) 150mbps, and take a couple of BGP default routes from two carriers, in an H/A pair... about $3k. One down-side would be no SNMP counters per routed-vlan.

A layer-3 catalyst would be good to start out also. Expect to pay more per year in Smartnet support than the switch costs used.

You can setup pfSense to be redundant using carp, and it definitely supports full routablility on both sides. And for what it's worth, it's BSD based. We actually use a pair of Atom based pfSense boxes for firewalling our internal stuff, and we have been pretty pleased. We can only manage to push about 300Mbps through them, which is kind of odd, though. This probably has more to do with the hardware or operator error, however.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast