Did you custom design your site or use a template?

Did you custom design your site or use a template? I would love to get a custom designed site but will have to wait until I make some money. Just curious what others feel about this.

Mark
    Energized Web Hosting
    VPS Hosting | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Domain Names

Custom -- no offense to you intended, but I don't think templates look very professional, and people can usually tell.
    Ask me about CloudCentrum (coming soon) -- The complete, turn-key cloud software solution

We had a designer come and design our website. Always make an investment into your website, that is your company's image.

Now if your going to be a computer repair guy or build swimming pools, then you really don't need a high-end design but since the internet is your market/store and your doing everything online then invest a few hundred dollars into a unique design that fits you.

our site was taken from a template and then heavily modded to fit our needs, whilst I agree that your site kinda does define you and clients may use that as a basis of how much you value your company, its not everything. You could have the best site design, but awfull content and low alexa/google rankings and maybe generally bad reviews. I have seen some sites that started out as a template but have been modded in such a way that it was made their own, and i have seen some bespoke designs that are just dire.

The best way to sum it up is, do what gives the best image for you, either look at a template that closely sembles what you want to portray and then work with that or pay through the nose to have a custom site designed, either way make sure you make it your own.
    If you need help about anything to do with WHT, check out the Helpdesk

I use custom unfortunately none of predesigned template attracted me so far

Custom designed as people will find out you have a template at some point and say it's a negative. Plus with a custom designed web site you can have it meet your specifications rather than attempting to adjust your company to the web site.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and Cloud Hosting
    PHP 5.2.x - PHP 8.1.X Support!

You can find a kid to create you a website dirt cheap. Like $500 US, then get a programmer to tie your APIs into your billing software or you can mod whmcs tpls.

If you are in an Internet-related business then I think it is important to have a custom designed site.

That is the process I am going through right now myself.

And yes you can find a kid to create a Web site for dirt cheap, but if I think the quality will be lacking. Spend some $$$ and get it done by a professional.

I agree. Hosting is a very competitive, over saturated market. You will definitely want to stand out and you can't do that using a template.

The problem I'm having is figuring out what the going rate is for a decent custom design. I've always done my own design but I'm more technical than creative. I'm actually looking in to having a professional do a quality site for me but I have no idea what the competitive rate is. I'm kind of scared to get shafted by someone because I don't really know what an "outrageous" quote would be.

let a designer design... I think its better than purchasing templates..

Custom. You can always tell when a website is a template.

When your doing your company website you need it to be right. Match your image. Templates cannot achieve this.
    Hydro Host – Affordable UK Web Hosting - cPanel
    Shared Hosting – Reseller Hosting – Domain Name Registration - Affiliate Program
    www.hydro-host.net

Quote Originally Posted by kbduvall View Post
    I agree. Hosting is a very competitive, over saturated market. You will definitely want to stand out and you can't do that using a template.

The problem I'm having is figuring out what the going rate is for a decent custom design. I've always done my own design but I'm more technical than creative. I'm actually looking in to having a professional do a quality site for me but I have no idea what the competitive rate is. I'm kind of scared to get shafted by someone because I don't really know what an "outrageous" quote would be.
    I would expect to pay $2k - $3k for a home page and sub page layout. From what I've seen hourly rates range from about $70 - $95.

custom as well, but I design my own stuff - I'm not a super professional when it comes to the art part, but I can code pretty well. Will be working on new design for the new year (have done it last year, going to try to make it an annual thing)