Please give advice for newbie creating site for small non-profit

Hi,

I've Googled webhost reviews till my eyes bled but most of it I didn't understand anyway. I'm creating a small site for a non-profit animal rescue and I'm supposed to put together some recommendations on webhosts for a meeting on Tuesday. I haven't created a site in years and am a total amateur. I'm throwing myself on your mercy, you, the knowledgeable, to give me a few ideas of webhosts that will be reasonably cheap and reasonably reliable. My first thought was just go with Godaddy since they've been around forever, but I've read some really bad reviews, but I've never even heard of the other companies (I did mention that it's been a reaaaaly long time, didn't I?) I have no idea where they purchased their domain name and don't know if that matters anyway.

The site won't need much, a few forms, some photos, and I'd like a blog, or be able to link to a blog.

If you could please point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

lamirona (alice)

Almost any shared host will be able to provide what you need. Look for one that offers cPanel (so you can manage the site with ease, including email, etc), installatron or fantastico (script installers so you can automatically create a blog in one click) and a site-builder (so you can build a simple site for the shelter).

There are lots of great companies in the offers section. Be sure to google for bad reviews before purchasing.
    Ask me about CloudCentrum (coming soon) -- The complete, turn-key cloud software solution

A basic shared hosting package sounds ideal for you (don't fall into the unlimited trap!). You can purchase your domain separately from hosting (which is recommended for flexibility) from registrars like namecheap.com and enom.com. Otherwise it doesn't seem like you need anything fancy, if you're new to making websites a host with a site builder would help. Also remember, never choose a hosting provider based on how much resources you can get for what price. The hosting industry is marketed in a way that TONS of resources are often advertised at tiny prices, but you will likely never be allowed to use those resources, or need them anyway.

You might consider speaking with some local (to you) providers, and see if any of them offer reduced or free hosting for non-profits. Most will do so for a small text or image link on the pages. Small local hosts are usually very happy to be involved in local charities.

Try the Yellow pages, or ask around and talk to the local Chamber of Commerce, too. Good on you for doing animal rescue, by the way, we love that cause here and have adopted only shelter animals for years.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Many of the web hosts provider have domain registration, and I agree with ItsJustHosting, a basic shared hosting package sounds good for you.

Many providers will offer free or greatly reduced hosting for a non-profit organization that can present the necessary documentation.

Going with a local provider as Bear suggested may not be a bad idea if you can find one that is reasonable in price.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

I found a free one from HostGator
    http://www.hostgator.com/nonprofit-web-hosting.shtml
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

Quote Originally Posted by jrianto View Post
    It's worth a shot but it should be noted that not everybody qualifies/is selected an that it's only for the first year.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

A lot of hosts will offer free or greatly reduced hosting costs for non profits. Just ask around, the worst they can say is no.

And who can say no to animals? A sicko.. that's who..
    Anthony
    http://www.hostedplanet.com
    Hosting for Everyone
    Shared Hosting and Virtual Private Servers with friendly support

You may also want to find a cpanel host with Wordpress and then purchase a Wordpress theme/template to make your website more professional looking with very little effort.
    Adam Hobach - CyberLynk Network, Inc. ahobach @ cyberlynk.net
    CyberLynk.net - Colocation, Managed/Dedicated Servers, VPS's, Windows/Linux Hosting, Spam/Virus Filtering, VOIP, Offsite Backup
    CyberLynkAcquisitions.com - Are you looking to sell your hosting business? Contact me today!

Smile

Following Hosts gives Free Hosting to Non Profit Websites/Organization:

* HostGator: http://www.hostgator.com/nonprofit-web-hosting.shtml
    * Dreamhost: http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting-nonprofit.html

But you must ask them whether your Website qualifies for Free Web Hosting or not. Email them every possible details about your Non Profit Website/Organization.

Also as already said above, you might want to consult some Local Web Hosting Companies as well as other Hosting Companies regarding Hosting Fee Discount.

All the Best and Great Efforts from your side