hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Specialty Hosting and Markets : Game Servers : Questions

Forum Jump

Questions

Reply Post New Thread In Game Servers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Web Hosting Master

Questions

Hi,

Im new to game servers I have never used one but have played on one there pretty cool and I would love to get into selling them. I have a few questions.

Is there some type of company or thing that you can sell game servers but off a cheap reseller? More like reseller web hosting is what I mean.

Also how dose it work do you need a shared hosting account or do you need a server just to have one game server up? What's needed how dose it work out files etc...

Also if I where to reseller game servers what would I need to look into doing befor I start do I need to get a dedi server or could I get a vps and sell off theom..

Please do not post in this thread just 1 or 2 line sentence answer my questions and don't get off topic...

Thanks, Greg

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Uptime Aficionado

You can't host a game server on a shared hosting account, but you can certainly host one on a VPS or Dedicated Server.

Look for a managed VPS or Dedi provider and ask their support team if they'll configure everything for you; be sure to tell them exactly what game you want to host to ensure that they'll be able/willing to do it.

I don't know of any reseller scheme that offers what you've described.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Web Hosting Master

I know I can easly ask the support team, but I want to learn how to set it up my self.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Uptime Aficionado

What game are you wanting to host? There isn't a universal game server that works with all games like, say, apache does with all web-pages. Most games have their own proprietary servers/tools.

The good news is that for the most part these proprietary servers will work in any linux or windows environment.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Web Hosting Master

See just got in the biggest twist ever, now what's the diffrence, setting up my own game server on a vps but then if I go to a site where they sell game servers do they give me a vps or do I need to buy the game server then put it on a vps? Or could I code it and make a vps into a game server lets say for example we use the game counter strike source.. Now lets say I made the game server off my vps do I go threw steam and go on my server or do I go to my url and play the game?

Old 11-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Uptime Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectedHosting View Post
See just got in the biggest twist ever, now what's the diffrence, setting up my own game server on a vps but then if I go to a site where they sell game servers do they give me a vps or do I need to buy the game server then put it on a vps? Or could I code it and make a vps into a game server lets say for example we use the game counter strike source.. Now lets say I made the game server off my vps do I go threw steam and go on my server or do I go to my url and play the game?
Good news is the server is free for source-based (Counter-strike, TF2, etc) games.

You access your game server just like you would any other game server -- through the game's built in menu. Anyone will be able to join if you make it public.

I actually set up a TF2 (source-based, just like counter-strike) server a while back on my home connection for me and a couple of friends to play on It's really pretty easy to do -- excellent choice if you're looking to get some experience with game-servers, IMHO.

I would NOT recommend just doing it from home, though, if you want to make a business out of it; latency will make it less than enjoyable for your customers/players.

SO a quick overview --

- Buy a VPS
- Install the source server
- Simple configuration
- Voila!

Obviously there are some nitty gritty details, but devote a day or so to it and you'll have A. Done It Yourself, and B. a functioning game server.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Web Hosting Master

Thanks for all the informaton, im going to purchase a VPS, dose the VPS need to be sertant specs? What would it be for just a server that no one will be in just about 6 people like a 3v3.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Uptime Aficionado

I would say go with at least 386 MB RAM (preferably on a Xen-based VPS so you know it's not oversold). If it's in your budget, choose someone who provides premium bandwidth as well -- this will help a lot.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Disabled

VPS is not something you want to sell game servers off of. Go with a Dual Core or a Quad Core with 4GB of memory and go from there.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Uptime Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
VPS is not something you want to sell game servers off of. Go with a Dual Core or a Quad Core with 4GB of memory and go from there.
OP said he just wants 6 players at a time . . . a Dedi for that would be extreme overkill.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-Sensibility View Post
OP said he just wants 6 players at a time . . . a Dedi for that would be extreme overkill.
Where did he say that ?

Old 11-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Uptime Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectedHosting View Post
What would it be for just a server that no one will be in just about 6 people like a 3v3.
He said that right here

Old 11-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Disabled

I see, I still do not suggest a VPS rather than a cheap P4 dedicated.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Uptime Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
I see, I still do not suggest a VPS rather than a cheap P4 dedicated.
???

A vps on a non-oversold Xeon 5300 or < node will easily outperform a p4.

All pentium 4's are good for at this point is sucking massive amounts of power.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-Sensibility View Post
???

A vps on a non-oversold Xeon 5300 or < node will easily outperform a p4.

All pentium 4's are good for at this point is sucking massive amounts of power.
It has nothing to do with what will out perform the other. I guess I will leave it to you as you seem to run a reputable game server provider