cheap shared hosting

hey, I've got a URL shortening site which is very very simple.
    1 page which creates a shortened URL.

It needs 1 database (very low use as it just stores / adds them).

I am after cheap hosting, 50GB a month 1-2GB space.

I'm looking at prepaying for a whole year and I want something where I can just buy and forget it.

I don't want to use a small host as I want to be certain they are still around in 12 months..

Quote Originally Posted by Fanmaster View Post
    1-2GB disk space and 50GB bandwidth per month, correct? Just making sure.

I'm looking at prepaying for a whole year and I want something where I can just buy and forget it.

I don't want to use a small host as I want to be certain they are still around in 12 months..
    Everyone has a different definition of "cheap", what's yours?

How do you define a "small host"?
    Some people define it as hosting providers who does not even have a server, while others will say that a "small host" are those which are of non-unlimited.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

hey, I've got a URL shortening site which is very very simple.
    1 page which creates a shortened URL.

It needs 1 database (very low use as it just stores / adds them).

It sounds like hostgator would fit the bill. http://www.hostgator.com/
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

There are many small hosts who have lasted more than 12 months. Don't knock a reliable host just because they are small.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

Thanks guys I have found the host I like.

Congratulations!

Which web host did you choose?

Smile

Congratulations for you….finally you found the web host provider like you needed.

Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Which one?
    I asked the same question 3 days ago and no answer, yet.

Don't you hate it when they leave you hanging?

Sorry.
    I went with boxvps.

Seems not too bad so far, for the price.

I have never heard about them, be sure that they are trustworthy and honest.
    If I were you, i would avoid entry-level hosting services.

Sorry.
    I went with boxvps.

You went from looking for a cheap shared hosting plan to a vps? Why the sudden change of heart and what brought you accross boxvps?

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali View Post
    You went from looking for a cheap shared hosting plan to a vps? Why the sudden change of heart and what brought you accross boxvps?
    It seems they do offer shared hosting but it's pretty expensive starting at $15/month which is contrary to the thread title "cheap shared hosting"

Just searching for "boxvps" found this post, if hes not talking about a vps then it has to be our shared plan "budget". Which we only post via forums/wht(advertising section).
    boxVPS.com - How big is your box?

Hmmm... something smells fishy or maybe its just me. lol

I think it would be great if we hear more from the OP.

Most Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated Webhosts that have been around for 12 months are still classed as Entry Level / New.

It sounds like hostgator would fit the bill. http://www.hostgator.com/
    Correct, Looking at the OP's requirements he should not have too much of a worry with Hostgator. I was wondering what the current database size was?

There are many small hosts who have lasted more than 12 months. Don't knock a reliable host just because they are small.
    Exactly right, These companies would not be where they are today unless people such as yourself gave them a shot.

Sorry.
    I went with boxvps.

May I ask how you managed to come across this webhost, Your requirements definitely did not require you to go onto a VPS system. I think there may be more to this than what we are actually seeing.

Looking at their Domain Registration and WHOIS, It seems that BoxVPS only started early 2008.

I am thinking the same thing, I would say most likely some sort of advertisement was in place.

forums/wht(advertising section).
    Does this include Private Messages aswell. Because everything here just does not seem to add up, Which makes me curious hey they come across you.

I believe that a VPS was the wrong decision for the OP, Though not much more that can be said unless we hear more back from the OP.

-ATH
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

ummmm I don't know what you guys mean but its just a $10 for 1 year registration that I found on the forums.

It's 83 cents per month or something and i am using like less than 1MB space and so far a few megs of bandwidth.

If you check my post history you'll see i post a lot of random questions!!

Cheers

Fanmaster - Thank you for the post, and the service again.

We always appreciate the time someone takes to mention us.

For any of the skeptics, just search the shared advertising forums for further clarification.

ATH-Sean - Just out of curiosity, If the client is happy, posting about being happy, why would you say "I believe that a VPS was the wrong decision for the OP, Though not much more that can be said unless we hear more back from the OP."

What would be wrong about everything being right?

If something is cheap is smelling fishy for me. Not that it can be necessarily a bad web hosting but I'm expecting surprises

Quote Originally Posted by Snowalker View Post
    If something is cheap is smelling fishy for me. Not that it can be necessarily a bad web hosting but I'm expecting surprises
    Snow walker. Im not sure where this fishy smell is coming from(hopefully we can find it).

You can see our web-hosting prices are not "low" by any means on our website. We pride Ourselves in providing hosting solutions(VPS, Shared, or cloud designs).

That being said, some people just need a plan where they can set it and forget it(the budget plan). I use one for multiple simple sites. If and when they out grow, they can upgrade to our other solutions or come here to find a competitor.

Some facts about us.

FACTS about Us:
    We offer a 30 day money back guarantee. No questions asked.
    We are a non-contractual company. You can pre-pay the year and cancel in a month. We would then refund you the remaining months/time(pro-rated).
    We have been providing hosting services since 2004.
    We have been with paypal since 2004.
    We are a small shop operation. We strive to keep every customer and dollar. We know most of our customers pay their bills from using our services, same as We do with Our company.
    We strive for 100% satisfaction and uptime(pre-planning).
    We now have instant setups in action(there are some fraud scans in place though 90% of orders are instant).

Email: [email protected]
    Account Creation Date: Aug 31, 2004

update,
    Well so far the hosting is quite bad.

Email doesnt work half the time (times out)
    The database has been deleted with out warning.(Was tiny, under 1MB)
    The box has 13 hours uptime
    etc

So long story short, you get what you pay for.

update,
    Well so far the hosting is quite bad.

Email doesnt work half the time (times out)
    The database has been deleted with out warning.(Was tiny, under 1MB)
    The box has 13 hours uptime
    etc

So long story short, you get what you pay for.
    We host multipe sites on the same box your own(ajaxdns.com used daily by 300 plus people). The second that site is ever down we instantly get emails(or if the dns queries stop working).

The server was rebooted last night, prior to that it was up for 60+ days. If you would like a refund, just create a ticket we can take care of you.

We would never delete a database, and have backups if thats the case.

If you can create a ticket I'm sure we can clear up any confusions!

Wish you the best of luck!

Softlayer did have an emergency maintenance window yesterday, not sure if you experienced that.
    Last edited by budman714; 11-25-2009 at 05:28 PM.

so the question remains are you still with them or have you moved yet?
    Fully Managed | cPanel Shared Hosting | Windows Shared (coming soon) | R1Soft Daily Backups | FFmpeg packages
    Base 10 Hosting LLC
    follow us on twitter - @Base10Hosting

People expect too much from the hosting business, This is why everyone is falling for cheap hosting services and getting stung. People really need to invest time in research
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

well i will say this for a newer company seems they stay on top of things well in the forefront anyway
    Fully Managed | cPanel Shared Hosting | Windows Shared (coming soon) | R1Soft Daily Backups | FFmpeg packages
    Base 10 Hosting LLC
    follow us on twitter - @Base10Hosting

We have hundreds of sites on the 10/year plan. Almost none ever create a ticket or have any issues.

I do not see any tickets from any budget hosting customers. We treat a 10/year customer the same as a 500/year.

I believe in this case its the user(anyone in support knows 99% its the end user but we cant say that). Though there is that 1%

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks for another informative and contributing post SEAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-Area51 View Post
    well i will say this for a newer company seems they stay on top of things well in the forefront anyway
    and Im at the airport. We always work. Support sets you apart from the other companys.

Im sitting in a google bean bag, using the free google wifi at las vegas airport.

Appreciate the comment.

Hmm.. this seems a bit weird.
    I've checked a few things and It appears that there is a mysql problem.

Hopefully the 0 databases was just it not being able to connect.

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/6...kljkkljklj.png

Quote Originally Posted by budman714 View Post
    I believe in this case its the user(anyone in support knows 99% its the end user but we cant say that). Though there is that 1%
    Dude, I'm right here.

Unless I have A) Made direct admin stop responding B) made that specific email account stop working C) broken mysql on the direct admin magically then I do not think that it was me.

The fact that you've reset the box recently probably means that you know something was borked earlier.

=)

Hmm.. this seems a bit weird.
    I've checked a few things and It appears that there is a mysql problem.

Hopefully the 0 databases was just it not being able to connect.

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/6...kljkkljklj.png
    I don't know if DirectAdmin maintains a file that keeps database information or if it pulls the information from the MySQL server on each load... Maybe BoxVPS will post up.

Though I have no problem providing support any means, this is really a conversation for internal support.

I am having the mysql server looked into on your shared server. Should be resolved before you read this reply.

I have just given my update on what has been happening, as is usual with these threads.

Cheers

Your database was not deleted.
    I highly believe there is nothing wrong with your email(if you still believe there is an issue, please create a support ticket and we can further research for you).
    The server does have a 13 hour uptime as it rebooted last night(which is/was posted on our NOC status page)

As always I appreciate any post good or bad. It gives us a chance to resolve/confront it. Though a ticket would have resolved this as well(you could have still updated the post).

Quote Originally Posted by budman714 View Post

Your database was not deleted.
    I highly believe there is nothing wrong with your email(if you still believe there is an issue, please create a support ticket and we can further research for you).
    The server does have a 13 hour uptime as it rebooted last night(which is/was posted on our NOC status page)

As always I appreciate any post good or bad. It gives us a chance to resolve/confront it. Though a ticket would have resolved this as well(you could have still updated the post).
    Hey, I have no other way of checking this stuff than through direct admin.

If it says I have 0 databases and my site is not connecting then the only thing I have to go by is the small error message listed.

Lets say it was temporarily 'removed' from direct admin then.

Also, yes everything is fine now, after the server reset, including email & website.

Again, I had just intended to give an update to the hosting here, you came and gave tech support.

Like I said, a support ticket would have instantly resolved all concerns for you. That would be the normal route to check after you have exhausted your checks. For instant support/resolutions create a ticket next time.

I just happen to sit down on the google bean bag and check my mail. Otherwise your issue would have not been resolved until a ticket was created.

Thanks again for updating this post.

Let me make it clear the shared hosting server was not having issue(this is a vps) the host node was and this was why the reboot. Prior to the reboot nothing was wrong with the shared hosting server.

Happy Holidays.