Best datacenter place for a worldwide website

I'm working on a website project and my visitor will be all over the world. I will a visitor from 7 land. I would like to go with colocation service. Before company I want to dedieded place.

Where the datacenter should be place for better performance?

I will choose company according to place but I have some names in my mind like rackspace, liquidweb..

No matter where your going to put it some people are going to obviously get a worse connection than others.
    I generally go east coast USA, as good connections over US and also decent connections to the EU.
    You could always use multiple servers.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

The United states of America,LA

Webhosting-10.com
    Webhosting-10.com Is now a Google PR 6
    We're Looking for Advertisers on our site (Anyone Interested?)

Not LA, LA seem to have quite high latency to Australia, Asia and Europe.
    Based on some latency tests i seen of various networks, the best location seems to be New York, USA or Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

There might be more such locations, like London, UK.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by osopolis View Post
    Frankfurt since it is in central Europe and has direct connections to usa.
    Frankfurt is not a good 'center of the world' location imho. We got a suite in Frankfurt. The routes to USA are longer from Frankfurt then from Amsterdam. The prices are much higher then Amsterdam (Colo at least twice the price / rack and power). Amsterdam is better connected to EMEA and Asia.

AMS-IX has a better mix of providers then DE-CIX.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

Thats not true. There are also expensive datacenters in Amsterdam.
    there are expensive, but the most expensive DC in Amsterdam charge still a more reasonable rate then the most expensive in Frankfurt for comparable quality.

Many times the difference is 100%/month.

And this "The routes to USA are longer from Frankfurt then from Amsterdam" is just not true.
    Show me some of your routes to Asia, EMEA and USA.

It's hilarious how many people, post in threads like this, just dripping with self-interest.

Most people establish facilities, based largely on their own location. Most recommendations like this, are from people recommending their own geographical areas. It's impossible that *everyone* posting in this manner, genuinely believes they're in the best imagine spot (geographically, vs. the entire world) for hosting an all-around, everything to everyone facility.

There are direct lines from Frankfurt to usa. Traffic from Amsterdam is mostly routed thru UK.
    Of corse...some of Frankfurt´s traffic is also routed thru Amsterdam and London. Redundacy/different routes to usa ;-)

Lets numbers speak for itself. And lets get back to the subject of this threat.

http://www.de-cix.de/content/newseve...News_1129.html

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by porcupine View Post
    It's hilarious how many people, post in threads like this, just dripping with self-interest.
    We are located in: Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris, Madrid, Chicago and Berlin. We have a minor presence in other regions as well.

We are testing: Atlanta, Hongkong, New York and Brazil.

You are right, some people post here dripping with self interest.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...points_by_size

AMS-IX is the largest exchange point.
    Last edited by swiftnoc; 11-14-2009 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    We are located in: Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris, Madrid, Chicago and Berlin. We have a minor presence in other regions as well.

We are testing: Atlanta, Hongkong, New York and Brazil.

You are right, some people post here dripping with self interest.
    LOL

Atlanta!!!!

Honestly, there is no "one best" location. If you have a truly global viewer base you'll be best served by being in numerous locations throughout the globe ensuring 'equal' coverage for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by WireSix View Post
    If you have a truly global viewer base you'll be best served by being in numerous locations throughout the globe ensuring 'equal' coverage for everyone.
    Fair enough. That is indeed correct. CDN is always the best solution to be close to the eyeballs.

But if you need a 'best connected point' its probably Amsterdam, London or Newyork as near perfect hubs.

Fair enough. That is indeed correct. CDN is always the best solution to be close to the eyeballs.

But if you need a 'best connected point' its probably Amsterdam, London or Newyork as near perfect hubs.
    Of course a major peering point would your best starting points. Good suggestion.

Out of curiosity, us being in Atlanta, where are you testing in Atlanta? What has your feedback been?

15. we like being in the hostdime datacenter it is really nice.

Out of curiosity, us being in Atlanta, where are you testing in Atlanta? What has your feedback been?
    We try to connect to the former atlanta-ix, actually.
    On a personal note: your Ryan right? seems we then need to talk about cabling in the near future

We try to connect to the former atlanta-ix, actually.
    On a personal note: your Ryan right? seems we then need to talk about cabling in the near future
    That would be I, not to thread-jack but would be happy to chat anytime.

The AIX has been great for us, would highly recommend. I know since the TelX takeover it's gotten a bit pricey but we were grandfathered in as an older member.

There are direct lines from Frankfurt to usa. Traffic from Amsterdam is mostly routed thru UK.
    Actually, Amsterdam has several direct lines to USA. It largest capacity seems to be direct. It does also have connections trough the UK.
    Frankfurt seem to have the largest capacity to USA trough Amsterdam and Paris.

The AIX has been great for us, would highly recommend. I know since the TelX takeover it's gotten a bit pricey but we were grandfathered in as an older member.
    Last bit of Thread-jack, we were a member of AIX already, but never got the actual connection established. Had contact with Tel-IX and found the prices very reasonable. So we will surely go-ahead with it in the 'hopefully near' future.

I would suggest looking at putting your site up on a CDN so your location wouldn't matter as much. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by KatzenJammer View Post
    I would suggest looking at putting your site up on a CDN so your location wouldn't matter as much. Just my 2 cents.
    If OP has an intent to host dynamic site - CDN wouldn't help.

To OP, probably combination of location and Internet providers for specific data center will be important for you task. To go over Atlantic - about 100 ms, East Cost/West cost probably 30 ms. You are saying that visitors will be coming from all over the world - even in this case you still have non equal distribution of number of visitors from different continents. << removed >> I'll try to itemize:
    1. Base (your decision) on the info what continent majority of visitors will be coming in
    2. Price for the network services, especially if you'll use some bandwidth
    3. Base on the quality of (coverage) of providers for specific hosting company
    4. Base on any additional info (like reviews from any particular continent) and any other info that could help you to make a decision.

Big companies may be a good choice, but working smaller companies will give you some benefits. And last - you can always switch a hosting company - don't go with one which will ask you to sign a multi-months contract.
    Last edited by writespeak; 11-15-2009 at 02:04 PM.
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

Not LA, LA seem to have quite high latency to Australia, Asia and Europe.
    Based on some latency tests i seen of various networks, the best location seems to be New York, USA or Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

There might be more such locations, like London, UK.
    It doesn't make sense to say that LA is going to have high latency to Asia. We have locations on both the US east and west coasts and we specifically put our Japanese and Chinese clients on the west coast for lower latency.

The real answer is that there is no one data center location that is going to give you great global results. It would be best to use several locations or CDN depending on the app.

Not sure what your budget is, but if you've got money to spend, you may consider something like LimelightSITE

http://www.limelightnetworks.com/inf...ce-management/

It's pretty pricey, but they've got a nice backbone, and it's supposed to be full site delivery allowing dynamic content.
    Christopher S. SmithAdd me (LinkedIn)

Quote Originally Posted by C|Smith View Post
    Not sure what your budget is, but if you've got money to spend, you may consider something like LimelightSITE

http://www.limelightnetworks.com/inf...ce-management/

It's pretty pricey, but they've got a nice backbone, and it's supposed to be full site delivery allowing dynamic content.
    I've heard good things about (read/forums) it but haven't actually talked to anyone operating a site on their platform. I would be interested in hearing direct feedback from an org running a site on their platform.

Quote Originally Posted by tulix View Post
    If OP has an intent to host dynamic site - CDN wouldn't help.
    Not strictly true for the overwhelming majority the CDN will make a difference. Making a single round-trip across the globe vs many to load all the static files which go along with it (images/css/js/etc) is a very notable difference.

You need to make sure the location has multiple carriers and the datacenter facility has quality equipment. You want fiber, gig connections, quality networking equipement and monitoring such as Cisco equipment, emergency systems in place, diesel generators, UPS and multiple air handlers.
    Last edited by Mike V; 11-17-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Buy multiple servers around the world and then use Anycast DNS to point them at their nearest location (if you have the money and your app will work like that)

Quote Originally Posted by jpwjpw View Post
    Buy multiple servers around the world and then use Anycast DNS to point them at their nearest location (if you have the money and your app will work like that)
    Which company offer that multiple servers around the world or I have to use more than one hosting company?