Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Butler,TN
    Posts
    2,413

    PC and Mac commercials-RANT

    Hi!
    You know..I just sat through one of those MACs are so much better than PCs commercial. You know..maybe it's me..but..I have never tried to sell a MAC person a PC. However..I happen to know two MAC people that took great delight in telling me how worthless my computers are..and how I really need to get a MAC.

    Please. Use what you want..I mean..come on. Heck..If a Commodore 64 does what you need...hey..have at it. Who cares? Geez.

    Use What You want, people. But don't try to "convert" me.

    Yeah...I'm a PC. Dammit, Jobs..leave me alone!
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    /usr/bin/perl
    Posts
    971
    I have a mac and about a million white-box pc's. Apple hands down beats any pc manufacturer in industrial design, but I've gotta say -- I just got windows 7 for work purposes and I'm liking it.
    Ask me about CloudCentrum (coming soon) -- The complete, turn-key cloud software solution

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    State of Disbelief
    Posts
    22,948
    I've always liked this video to show Mac "aficionados" that preach to me about the wonders of converting. They usually have no response.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvXZVJXIyqM
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    6,456
    I hate Mac people who brag about how great their macs are. I don't brag about how great my PC is.. well, I do.. but not how it's better than macs.

    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I've always liked this video to show Mac "aficionados" that preach to me about the wonders of converting. They usually have no response.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvXZVJXIyqM
    Love that video. I knew what you were talking about before even clicking.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    I hate Mac people who brag about how great their macs are. I don't brag about how great my PC is.. well, I do.. but not how it's better than macs.
    Well I hate people who when you say "I use a Mac" they say the old famous line "Mac's Suck" but then never give a reason, or don't have a reason.
    Uploadingit.com - Fast Reliable File Hosting

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,571
    Why go Windows or MAC, when you can choose LINUX

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    84
    I'm a computer user. If it works, it works, and it HAS to work. PC are cheaper than mac and I can build it how I want it for a lot cheaper. So that works!
    http://constant-hosting.com
    Web Hosting, Improved.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pflugerville, TX
    Posts
    11,222
    The best thing about the latest Mac commercials is that they don't actually have anything bad to say about Windows 7. I've seen three new commercials. The first shows "PC" saying Windows 7 won't have any problems...but Mac doesn't actually point out any problems with it! The second two are both "we're moving to Mac from PC," but again don't give any reason why Windows 7 is a bad choice, only citing Mac's record for customer service (and not even addressing Microsoft's record, which isn't all that bad folks).

    It's a marketing game. I'll just keep using what I know does everything I want it to do. There are lots of things Microsoft makes that I don't like or agree with, but I'm perfectly happy using Windows 7 and Office - great software!
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    1,307
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy4z9PCQFdE probably the greatest Mac spoof of all time.

    In all honesty, I would rather have a PC than a Mac anyway, I have both, and I dislike using my Mac, all my important programs and files are on my PC and then redundantly backed up, but the Mac seems to give me no end of trouble, from freezing and crashing, to being just plain annoying at times.
    Last edited by FS - Mike; 11-16-2009 at 10:37 AM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by constant-hosting View Post
    I'm a computer user. If it works, it works, and it HAS to work. PC are cheaper than mac and I can build it how I want it for a lot cheaper. So that works!
    Well, thats true and then its untrue.

    Go try and build a 27in iMac equivalent for less then what apple charges.

    You can't because you can't buy the display.
    Uploadingit.com - Fast Reliable File Hosting

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pflugerville, TX
    Posts
    11,222
    Quote Originally Posted by dlewis23 View Post
    Go try and build a 27in iMac equivalent for less then what apple charges.
    Hm? Mac charges $1,700 for the 27" iMac. For <$1,200, you could get a nice Core i7 or upper-end Xeon w/ 6GB RAM, two or three raptors and a 27" screen.

    Not knocking Macs - if you like using them, then great - they're perfectly fine. But I don't think you'll ever get the power/versatility-to-price ratio from a Mac that you can get from a PC, simply because there are more build options and manufacturers competing in the parts market.

    A good friend of mine upgraded to a new Mac a year ago. She was thrilled with her investment, because the ~$2,500 she spent made Photoshop and Illustrator load in 10 seconds. She was a little less impressed when I achieved a better result (7 sec. - 2.5 sec on second load) on my Core i7 built for ~$1k. She still loves her Mac and Macbook, but not because of performance. She loves the OS, interface and how it functions. It's what she's used to, and I would never tell her she should move away from that. She also knows better than to preach Macs to me, because she knows I whup her comp in every way at half the price. But that's not what matters - what matters is that I like the interface I use, I like how my computer operates and it's stable.

    I consider it a smart move on my part to jump from XP to 7, skipping Vista. My wife uses Vista, and after a year of it, she still hates it and wishes she's gone with XP (her laptop won't support Windows 7). That's probably why I never went through a doubting phase when it came to Windows.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pm View Post
    I consider it a smart move on my part to jump from XP to 7, skipping Vista. My wife uses Vista, and after a year of it, she still hates it and wishes she's gone with XP (her laptop won't support Windows 7).
    How come it won't support 7? My desktop can run 7, and it runs on-par-with or better than XP, with the only exception being my stone-age graphics card isn't supported by nVidia any more so there's no Vista/7 drivers for it. My desktop is also junk (Sempron 3000+, 1.5GB RAM, nVidia GeForce4TI).

    Any PC that's made in the last five years should be able to run 7 adequately, and all the Vista drivers should work fine for 7 as well. I put the Windows 7 RC on my half-dead Acer (which came with Vista) and *almost* everything worked right out the gate, after which I just grabbed the Vista drivers for things like the touchpad and now there isn't a single missing feature.

    So color me confused.
    I used to run the oldest commercial Mumble host.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pflugerville, TX
    Posts
    11,222
    Quote Originally Posted by fwaggle View Post
    How come it won't support 7? My desktop can run 7, and it runs on-par-with or better than XP, with the only exception being my stone-age graphics card isn't supported by nVidia any more so there's no Vista/7 drivers for it. My desktop is also junk (Sempron 3000+, 1.5GB RAM, nVidia GeForce4TI).

    Any PC that's made in the last five years should be able to run 7 adequately, and all the Vista drivers should work fine for 7 as well. I put the Windows 7 RC on my half-dead Acer (which came with Vista) and *almost* everything worked right out the gate, after which I just grabbed the Vista drivers for things like the touchpad and now there isn't a single missing feature.

    So color me confused.
    I'm probably making assumptions about her computer, because it can hardly support Vista. It's a cheap, low-end Dell Studio. It might very well support Windows 7 just fine. I'm just not sure I want to risk it

    But no, there's no sticker or note in a manual or anything that says "this PC will not support the upcoming release of Windows 7."
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pm View Post
    I'm probably making assumptions about her computer, because it can hardly support Vista. It's a cheap, low-end Dell Studio. It might very well support Windows 7 just fine. I'm just not sure I want to risk it

    But no, there's no sticker or note in a manual or anything that says "this PC will not support the upcoming release of Windows 7."
    Windows 7 Performance is much better then Vista and uses less system resources so I dont see why it couldn't.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pflugerville, TX
    Posts
    11,222
    Quote Originally Posted by ZacharyW View Post
    Windows 7 Performance is much better then Vista and uses less system resources so I dont see why it couldn't.
    I'll let her know. Maybe we'll get one more license
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

  16. #16
    Personally I find the commercials quite entertaining

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    2,585
    Quote Originally Posted by bryonhost1 View Post

    Use What You want, people. But don't try to "convert" me.

    Yeah...I'm a PC. Dammit, Jobs..leave me alone!
    It's called "Advertising" and Apple is one of the best companies that does it. They are also very good at making their customers feel entitlement, so that they feel they are an elite group to have an exclusive apple product. So a lot of Apple Customers then go out and help Apple sell their products.

    Apple does an amazing job in keeping their products in their own hands. From their iPhones, iPods/iTunes, MacBooks, OS, etc... they do whatever they can so no one else can touch any of their products. Which is why (on a side note) there will *NEVER* be an iPhone killer.

    HTC, Samsung, Droid, Windows Mobile, RIM/Berry, etc... etc... etc... and there is only the iPhone.

    If 10 phones that use Windows Mobile sell 10 million phones between them, but only 1 million per phone... it makes it out that each phone only sold 1 million phones. Where as the iPhone could sell 8 million phones... and it looks so much better.

    Apple is the king of spin, advertising, and keeping their products/software far far away from anyone else. To the fact where I heavily question their monopolistic skills.

    I feel the only reason why they do not get investigated is most of their software/products do not have a market share. Or if they do, it's in a smaller market.

    The Apple Commercials are to make Windows Users feel dumb for using a Windows PC. And to entice them to switch to a Mac. It's a good advertisement, nothing more.
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

Similar Threads

  1. Able to wipe mac os and install linux on mac hardware?
    By ThatScriptGuy in forum Computers and Peripherals
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-06-2007, 10:53 AM
  2. [rant]PCWORLD UK I HATE YOU[/rant]
    By Starsurfer in forum Web Hosting Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 06:13 AM
  3. <rant>Why does everyone on WHT expect to get free hosting?</rant>
    By TowerHost in forum WHT Announcements, Feedback and Questions
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-03-2003, 03:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •