If I have my site with a local web hosting company,would it make my site faster?

I have been wondering that, if I host my site with a webhosting company that is local ( literally down the street ) and also their datacenter and servers are also there with them, would it make accessing my site faster~???

It should, right?? Because all my data and files are in their servers locally so accessing it anywhere around where I live should access it quickly,correct~??

If I am not clear, I mean that if I am in Phoenix and the company that my site is hosting is also in Phoenix along with the data and servers at the same place, would accessing the website to my files and whatnot be faster than somebody in another state or city~???

Please correct me if Im wrong~!!

Most likely the speed difference will not be noticeable, however the ping will be. You will likely transfer data from a datacenter in say New York at about the same rate that you will transfer from the datacenter there in Phoenix, but your ping will be substantially lower.

Quote Originally Posted by ZacharyW View Post
    Most likely the speed difference will not be noticeable, however the ping will be. You will likely transfer data from a datacenter in say New York at about the same rate that you will transfer from the datacenter there in Phoenix, but your ping will be substantially lower.
    He's got it right, the time of loading you really wont be able to tell.

And that is if your ISP even routes you to where it would be beneficial... I've seen it before where my ping/hops to a place just down the road was longer than the servers in Dallas...

Realistically though as long as you are with a quality provider it shouldn't make much of a difference if at all.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    And that is if your ISP even routes you to where it would be beneficial... I've seen it before where my ping/hops to a place just down the road was longer than the servers in Dallas...

Realistically though as long as you are with a quality provider it shouldn't make much of a difference if at all.
    Agreed.

OP - you may find this thread interesting as it discusses the same subject matter.

Since you're in Phoenix, AZ you might want to look for a shared web host who has servers at Atjeu.

Ive never seen atjeu.com , Ill have to check them out.

I actually work for a webhosting company and just wanted to know if it mattered if the physical location of the datacenter mattered so I can decide if I wanna host my site with my job.

I know there is also Crystal Tech & a GoDaddy datacenter SUPER near my home

Is there a place where I can compare datacenters by region~???

I don't know of anywhere that compares datacenters... I have used CrystalTech in the past and they were wonderful.

The location won't matter much unless the server is in another country from you.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Alright sounds good. Thanks for the info guys, you been a tremendous help.

I think I'm gonna go with inmotion webhosting because I have seen nothing but positive reviews from them and it seems that I am in their " Max Speed Zone" since their datacenters are in Los Angeles, California and I'm located in Phoenix Arizona.

inmotionhosting.com/fast-web-hosting.html

It says "Even better, if you are within our Exclusive Max Speed Zones, your email and website can run up to 6x faster."
    Last edited by Bruce Lee JR; 11-14-2009 at 07:11 PM.

It will most liklely be fast for you but for your vistors a little more slower...

But it should be fast for anyone in the "Max Speed Zone " vicinity, correct~??

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Lee JR View Post
    But it should be fast for anyone in the "Max Speed Zone " vicinity, correct~??
    "Max Speed Zone" is marketing imho - I doubt that if you tested inside of that "zone" and outside of that zone you would see a 600% increase in performance inside it compared to outside.

I've only ever transferred people out of inmotion because the server/service was slow ... and I've never personally seen any good reviews for their services I felt I could trust but who knows maybe they are better than I think.

I think location is overrated. I load pages of sites which are hosted on the other side of the globe in 1 second. I think support, reliability and features are much more important than the location of the datacenter.

What would you suggest for someone like me~?

Run a wordpress site with a few hundred hits a month. But room to grow later. Definitely looking for VPS hosting.

I was going for the location of the datacenter for VPS hosting. But if what Jessica Rose said is true, then I'd rather look at the features and support.

You can test is yourself. Find out a web hosting provider whose datacenters are very far away. Then search on Google for "is hosted by xx"(write the company name instead of xx). If it's a large company, you'll see many websites which are hosted by that web host. You can browse their websites to test their speed yourself.

What's your monthly bandwidth usage? I would make sure VPS is not overkill because if your site gets too many visitors, you can easily migrate.

No I would think it wouldn't make your site faster than say a provider in a well connected city. Then again the carriers of your local provider and who they peer with can make a difference.

Ping could be like 10ms but the site could load very slow.

I have servers in 3 locations across the world, and I can say its all about how well the datacenter is connected and the features it allows as well as the server itself. One of my servers in LA (ca/usa) for example hosts the same website (mirrored) as one of my servers in Leeds (UK). The LA ping time average is 148ms - The Leeds ping time average is 34ms (both from London, Uk), yet the time it takes for both to show up on my screen seems exactly the same, download times are very similar too. I would consider the workload the server is currently under - do they fill up the servers? if they do - you may see their servers under large workloads which will slow down your websites. What connectivity do they have their servers under? If it is less than 10Mbps - i would consider looking elsewhere... and do ask twice, some companies hire third party support which may get the answer wrong!! And what kind of server will you be hosted on, CPU, RAM, Disk.... etc.. those are very important features to consider before buying.

if for example you are hosted on an oversold server in Phoenix which is really busy - and the server in NYC is undersold (not very busy), you may see that the server in NYC actually will load faster!

Good Luck With Your Findings!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by XelionOne View Post
    I have servers in 3 locations across the world, and I can say its all about how well the datacenter is connected and the features it allows as well as the server itself.
    I was going to say the same thing. It is the quality of

1. Your hardware
    2. The datacenter
    3. the network providers they use (some server providers allow you to choose between "cheap" and "top end" network providers (the fiber optics across the world)
    4. Get the best of all the above for the best performance.

We use a location in Chicago for it's quality in all the areas beyond my control then all I have to worry about is the hardware/software. We have a few clients from Europe but most are in the USA so Chicago is central and the network providers we have are excellent.

As other people have mentioned "ping" may notice the difference in milliseconds but unless you are in a bad datacenter with lousy connections your customers won't notice the difference in how pages display. I am close to the Planet in Dallas and if I were to move it would probably be to there but not because of their location close to me, just because of their available quality. I never went there because I have been where I am since the Planet was just starting out; they didn't match the quality but now they have such a reputation and have grown so huge they are on a par with where I am-I just have no reason to change something that's working.

Like others have suggested look at some speed test sites and you may be surprised that you get better speeds to places you wouldn't think. It's because of the combination of your ISP and the connections they use. I am on AT&T and it takes longer for me to get through their mass of switches in the Dalas/Ft. Worth area than the "trip" to the datacenter in LA or NYC and I have actually got better speed test results to sites thousands of miles away than to any place other than Dallas (The Planet) but again-it's milliseconds, nothing a user would ever notice. I host a speed test to refer prospective customers to and I get almost as good time to my location in Chicago as Dallas because of all the time tied up in AT&T's slow switches (it seems they have to have a dozen switches to get you out of Dallas-I'm exaggerating but it seems that way. So my signal still has to go through all that to get routed back to then Planet-the trip to Chicago is one fast "hop" so I might notice the difference in site display if I watched carefully, but my customers all over never would.)
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

If both your home and the datacenter are on same carrier then that is teh fastest and should have the least ammount of latencey. If they are served by two different networks but peer in phoenix or nearby that would be a good second choice. If the networks aren't directly connected or peered then do a traceroute to a server at that site. You may or maynot be surprised on the path it takes.

Not necessarily. Your host may be located right down the street but have its servers in a few states over. I would check with this first.

You would not be able to tell the difference, you will be able to tell the difference if you host at a facility that has a quality network build. You need to make sure your host has a fiber connection, quality networking equipment such as Cisco, a fiber network and fiber switches, and there shared firewalls and network are properly monitored and maintained. You also need to make sure your server has it's nic set to full, the best would be a gig connection.

<manual signature snipped>
    Last edited by ldcdc; 11-17-2009 at 12:10 PM.

Technically for you it would be faster though unnoticeable as long as their servers are not overloaded. But you have to understand that its best to know where your visitors are coming from as those are the ones you should cater to.
    U.S.A. High Resource allocation global cloud hosting serving 310,000 clients since 2008 | Offering both cPanel & DirectAdmin
    WebsitePlex.com | Instant Activation | Alpha, Master, Reseller & Cloud Hosting
    Recurring Affiliate Program Pays 20% of total revenue for life | 30 Day Trial

Cool

Exactly what I was saying. I'm in D/FW TX but my servers are in Chicago in a 1st class facility. That way my clients in Florida, California, New Jersey, etc. all get good service because the datacenter is located at one of the main "hubs" for the fiber carriers in a centralized location (we probably only have 2-4 customers in TX).
    There are maps of the Internet "backbone" you can find on-line and just make sure your datacenter is top-notch with connections, good switches, bandwidth providers-everything other people have said...and then that they are in a "hub" location. The maps make it easy to see the main routes the fiber "backbone" of the Internet takes across the USA and overseas and you want to be directly connected to a backbone location. Then as far as page display speeds your customers shouldn't notice any more difference than the blink of an eye.
    If you are using the server for your personal items and will be doing a great deal of transfer to-from the server yourself then a location close you you would benefit you as someone mentioned. But it's the customers that matter if you are going into the "business" of web hosting more than your personal connection speed.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well