Hyper-V Network Connection Config Issue

I was able to get my Hyper-V host up and running yesterday on my Server 2008 x64. I have created a Virtal Machine, configured it, and installed the OS (Windows XP). I am having an issue with the final configuration step to connect the VM to the internet.

The physical server has dual NIC's, and therefore LAN 1 and LAN 2 in Network Connections. My intention is to use LAN 1 for the host and LAN 2 as the Virtual Switch to the VMs. LAN 1 is configured with static settings and connected to the internet/network as intended.

I then created a new External virtual network in Virtual Network Manager, and bound it to LAN 2. When I go back into Network Connections, I now see LAN 3. At this point LAN 2 now has the connection use of MS Virtual Network Switch Protocol. Then I configured LAN 3 with the static settings to be used for the VM server. I have also bound the LAN 2 Virtual Switch to the VM instance.

I would think the LAN 3 connection would bind to the VM client?

When I go into the VM client, it does not show any Network Connections?

I am falling short here, any help to get me to the end would be appreciated.

If customer VPS should be connected to External network there is should be at least one "External" virtual network configured in Hyper-V. Default virtual network with the name "network adapter - Virtual Network" is created during Hyper-V role installation. If such network does not exist or you want to create another network bound to different network adapter (for example “Management network”) you can do it in "Virtual Network Manager" of Hyper-V Manager.
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

Quote Originally Posted by SoftsysHosting-Rick View Post
    If customer VPS should be connected to External network there is should be at least one "External" virtual network configured in Hyper-V.
    There is 1 "External" virtual network configured in Hyper-V

Default virtual network with the name "network adapter - Virtual Network" is created during Hyper-V role installation.
    This default network does not exist.

If such network does not exist or you want to create another network bound to different network adapter (for example “Management network”) you can do it in "Virtual Network Manager" of Hyper-V Manager.
    Do I need to create another virtual network for this 1 VPS?

Thanks,

Yeah, if the default virtual network does not exist, you will need to create it from Hyper-V Manager
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

Ok, what type of virtual network is the default: External, Internal, or Private?

Will it be bound to my LAN 2 NIC?

Ok, I had 2 pre-issues tht I just solved which gets me closer....

1. My guest VM is Windows XP; I had to download and install SP 3 before it would recognize a virtual NIC.

2. I had to install Integration Services on the guest VM.

Now that I have done both of those, the guest OS now has a LAN Network Connection (and I can use my mouse now too!!).

So back to my issue, I need to assign the guest VM a static IP - where do I assign it, in the Network Connection of the guest OS or in the Network Connection of the Host?

Thanks again!

You will need to assign the static IP on the network on guest OS of your VM.

I got it up and running this afternoon.

Thank you for all of your help in the last two days, you are valuable to this forum.

Great! Good to know this