Wordpress hosting (DIGG / Slashdot)

Hello,
    I am currently using a dedicated server for hosting my blog, but it is extremely low end. (Pentium 3)

I am thinking of possibly moving this across to shared hosting -BUT- It must be able to cope with digg / slashdot if I make a popular blog post.

I have seen that mediatemple do a plan that comes with assurances that digg will not cause the hosting to die, they are $20.

What are my other options with shared hosting?

Quote Originally Posted by Fanmaster View Post
    Hello,
    I am currently using a dedicated server for hosting my blog, but it is extremely low end. (Pentium 3)

I am thinking of possibly moving this across to shared hosting -BUT- It must be able to cope with digg / slashdot if I make a popular blog post.

I have seen that mediatemple do a plan that comes with assurances that digg will not cause the hosting to die, they are $20.

What are my other options with shared hosting?
    how much now you paying for it,better go for vps

also you need any control panel?
    HostNotch Hosting Services 99.9% uptime Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting
    yajur | Sales Team
    CPanel Hosting R1 Soft Offsite-Backup Great Uptime
    http://hostnotch.com sales @ hostnotch.com

No i dont need a control panel.

I'm paying $9.99 USD for the pentium 3 server.

I can go higher of course, but for $29 I can get a dedicated atom 1.6ghz / 1GB ram / 160GB hdd 100mbit or unmetered 10mbit etc.

For $25 I can get a Dedicated sempron with 1GB of ram etc.

BUT this particular thread i am wondering about just plain shared webhosting budget of about $10-35 USD

If you know how much space and bandwidth you are using you should be able to look in the offers section to find something suitable. Also you should be able to see how much resource usage you use at different times. Long as you check the TOS of any possible host you should see if they have a restriction on % of CPU usage.
    Currently hosting with Big Brain Global Networks

How low end is your server in terms of ram ?

Also whats your traffic stats for a month ?

It would be really helpful to know what are your blog's stats normally and go from there. Digg effect will not happen often (if ever). But of course, we all hope, for your blog's benefit, that it will

what was the max connections you have ever gotten? as Fam said above, digg effect doesn't happen often but when it does, it can get hectic especially if it is causing high on the server.

With shared hosting, I think you'd have a lot better access to hardware. IE, you can get an atom server for $29, but you can get shared hosting on a quality beefier server for less than that. And, while it is shared, if it's a reputable provider, I'd bet that the majority of resources are going unused.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

If you have the time and knowledge to manage your own server, it's hard to beat dedicated hardware with some well configured software. But the caveat as said, is that you have to have the time and knowledge to manage and configure your own server.
    Darren Lingham - UK Webhosting Ltd. - (0800) 024 2931
    Tsohost.co.uk - Quality UK Windows and Linux hosting since 2003
    UK WordPress Hosting - Fast, easy, cloud based WordPress Hosting

if you dont need much harddrive space, id give http://medialayer.com a try. they were amazing at handling digg/reddit traffic when i was with them

If your P3 is able to handle a digg, I'm sure any decent shared hosting server would be able to as well.
    Kaumil P.

if p3 is able to keep your blog running then shared hosting will work.

Also you could always get a unmanaged vps host.

because a 700 mhz P3 =s a 100 mhz core 2 dou.

Get something that's reasonably within your budget. Wordpress can be hardened to withstand Diggs and /.'s very easily with things such as WP Cache and WP Super Cache. Due diligence on WP itself will save you money on server costs in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
    Get something that's reasonably within your budget. Wordpress can be hardened to withstand Diggs and /.'s very easily with things such as WP Cache and WP Super Cache. Due diligence on WP itself will save you money on server costs in the long run.
    I was going to say something along these lines myself, but it seems I was beaten too it. In any case, ditto to gplasky.
    Scott Swezey
    TCL Fasteners, Inc.
    Automotive fasteners for collision shops.

A shared host will definitely be able to handle your blog if a P3 can.
    Tailored VPS offers fully customizable VPS Hosting