Hybrid View

no DNS propagation after 72 hours

Could anyone tell me what could be the cause of a DNS not propagating after 72 hours please?
    The name registrar is TUCOWS and most of the time the propagation takes less than 48 hours, what could be the problem?

UK2 has set up the DNS for me and they are the one accessing my registrar control panel in order to change what needs to be changed, I am sure they have done it right as I kept emailing them and they keep telling me to wait.
    In 19 hours this will amount to a total of 96 hours....My company has to launch very soon(in a few days) and I really do not know what to do.

Any idea what could cause this please?

Thanks,

ben

You sure its not just you not seeing it? Sometimes I think your ISP would make it take longer to propogate to YOU but the rest of the world has no issues? Just throwing out the only thing I can think of.

no it is everyone ,

I can send you the domain name and you can check it out if you want but both my provider and myself cannot see it.
    this is a cool tool to test for DNS propagation.
    http://www.whatsmydns.net/

Despite what the hosts always tell you, when propagation seems to be taking an excessively long time it's usually complete - and continuing lookup problems are a result of misconfiguration. The most likely error is mismatched or missing glue (the A records for your nameservers at the host and registrar).

Run the domain through intodns.com and see what it comes up with.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

thanks,

the errors I am getting using the site you gave me are:

1)Error Mismatched NS records WARNING: One or more of your nameservers did not return any of your NS records.

2)DNS servers responded ERROR: One or more of your nameservers did not respond:

3) Multiple Nameservers ERROR: Looks like you have less than 2 nameservers. According to RFC2182 section 5 you must have at least 3 nameservers, and no more than 7. Having 2 nameservers is also ok by me.

4)Missing nameservers reported by your nameservers You should already know that your NS records at your nameservers are missing, so here it is again:

5)SOA record No valid SOA record came back!

6)MX Records Oh well, I did not detect any MX records so you probably don't have any and if you know you should have then they may be missing at your nameservers!

7)WWW A Record ERROR: I could not get any A records for your site!
    (I only do a cache request, if you recently added a WWW A record, it might not show up here.)

the strange thing is, when I WHOIS my server from TUCOWS the correct DNS show.

I am lost.///////////

Maybe send your host there to see that so they can figure out whats wrong on their end?

DNS can work even if the setup is full of errors, but with all sorts of intermittent problems. Since your host is supposed to be setting this up for you, send them the link to that report and insist that they fix the errors or escalate the ticket to a higher-level tech.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

thanks guys,

I have emailing them many times, I have not had any replies for 4 hours or so....I am in real trouble as I need to have my company launched by monday and we have lost 3 days of testing.

Or you could try contacting Ditlev - he should be able to light a fire under the appropriate posterior...
    Chris

Thanks Foobic,

I will wait another 2 to 3 hours for an answer form the hosting company, if I still do not get an email then I will contact Ditlev,

thank you!

BamBam

I would look into launching with a different host if you cant get a reply in 4 hours and you need reliability. Theres plenty on here that have REAL 24/7 support and knowledgable techs. It may cost more but they can get you going within a few hours or maybe a day top.

I used to be with UKFast, I was paying a lot for a 24/7 emergency phone support, one day I had a real problem with my dns propagation and asked them to help me,the response I had was that it was not an important matter, "even if the guy could not understand the fact that 1 or 2 days lost for my business was $$$$", anyway, I had this very bad experience by paying a lot for a poor service, after that I moved onto these new guys, their support is quiet fast most of the time but for this problem..it is a real struggle...........
    Last edited by bambinou; 11-11-2009 at 08:29 PM.

Last time this happened to me, in fact the last two times a long wait happened, it was a TYPO on my part
    CapeWP.com
    CapeWP.com - WordPress for all of us

Yes but this time I have not done a single thing, my hosting provider did everything for me because I have bought the domain name from them.

OK I got some news from my hosting provider, It seems that both my Ips from Tucows registrar are down for unknown reason,
    I hope they will not give me another 2 IPS otherwise I will have to wait again for the propagation...nightmare story!

Quote Originally Posted by bambinou View Post
    OK I got some news from my hosting provider, It seems that both my Ips from Tucows registrar are down for unknown reason,
    I hope they will not give me another 2 IPS otherwise I will have to wait again for the propagation...nightmare story!
    DNS propagation now a days is extremely fast, it's usually completed within a few hours.

Your IP addresses from Tucows are down? Does not make much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali View Post
    DNS propagation now a days is extremely fast, it's usually completed within a few hours.
    If you're changing existing records this is determined only by the TTL. For NS records on the .com nameservers TTL is still 48 hours AFAIK.

Your IP addresses from Tucows are down? Does not make much sense.
    The IPs concerned belong to UK2. I would have been a bit concerned by the tech's "down for unknown reason" comment but they do seem to be working now.
    Chris

Did you check the domain status domain tools available at https://xwhois.com
    and http://member.dnsstuff.com/pages/tools.php if the domain is not resolving to the correct nameservers or not?
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    KeserHosting.Com