Bad reseller experience - time for VPS?

I've had yet another experience of a reseller account having something changed without warning - IP address this time.

I just manage a few domains with low traffic, low space WordPress and Drupal sites. I manage all the email through Google Apps.

So I want to manage the DNS externally and not have the IP change under my feet.

5GB disk would be more than enough.

Just want the show run by someone who knows what they are doing and are smart enough to contact customers if they need to change
    something that could affect them.

Is VPS with a fixed IP going to work for me? What sort of spec do I need and price should I expect?

A VPS would work great for what you need. You could go with a low-end VPS of around $10-20. cPanel would cost you approximately $10-12 more if you want that.
    Charles W. @ Nexeon Technologies, Inc. - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    Dedicated servers, colocation, cloud, game servers, on-site & remote DDoS protection, and more! Managed options available.
    Data Centers in Chicago, New York, & more! IPv4 and IPv6 available! Contact us for data center buildout & network consultation.
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and Dallas.

If all you need is an IP that won't change without warning then you don't need a VPS. Just look for a better reseller provider.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    If all you need is an IP that won't change without warning then you don't need a VPS. Just look for a better reseller provider.
    As I said, IP address this time.

Other times, PHP settings, or SSH policy.

I am happy installing stuff in the shell - don't need a CPanel.

What I'm not clear on is performance and how much memory I need need.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by brookie View Post

Fair enough - those are good reasons for going to VPS. And if you want unmanaged (which is probably what you'll get without a control panel) then you can get good performance at a reasonable price.

To run Drupal comfortably I'd suggest at least 384MB on Virtuozzo-SLM or Xen, 512MB guaranteed + 1024MB burst on openVZ.

And if you need 5GB disk space for your sites, get at least 10GB to allow for the OS, logs etc.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

foobic's point is still valid. Your host (shared or reseller) should not be changing things on you willy nilly. Now mind you some things DO change as hosts update software but for the most part your settings should stay the same.

IF you are also talking about a hosts policies changing then that does happen and it can happen to VPS hosts.

I would recommend that if you're not happy then find yourself a solid reseller host. I ran with reseller accounts for more then 5 years and never had any changes like you're experiencing so you can do better.

As for the DNS issue you can look to see if your registrar provides free DNS (I know Namecheap does).

If you can manage it yourself and do not want to spend on license you can install webmin for easy management. At the same time VPS will give much more control than a reseller account. In anycase a VPS with 1GB RAM should be enough for your requirements.
    24Shells in Business Since 2003 - AS55081
    Dedicated Servers, Linux VPS Hosting, Windows VPS Hosting
    @24Shells - 24shells.net

You shouldn't even need 1GB RAM.
    Charles W. @ Nexeon Technologies, Inc. - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    Dedicated servers, colocation, cloud, game servers, on-site & remote DDoS protection, and more! Managed options available.
    Data Centers in Chicago, New York, & more! IPv4 and IPv6 available! Contact us for data center buildout & network consultation.
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by 24shells View Post
    If you can manage it yourself and do not want to spend on license you can install webmin for easy management. At the same time VPS will give much more control than a reseller account. In anycase a VPS with 1GB RAM should be enough for your requirements.
    Or you can try virtualmin from the makers of webmin, its also free.

http://www.virtualmin.com

As I said, IP address this time.

What I'm not clear on is performance and how much memory I need need.

Thanks.
    If you don't need cPanel, 256 to 512mb of ram should be ideal for what you're describing. You should find this in the $20 to $30 range depending on the provider.

256-512mb pending your bandwidth needs should be able find for $15-40 the $20-30 range seems very limiting in terms of host quality.

You will definitely be able to find what you are looking for in your price range if not lower.

As everyone else has said though I would recommend switching hosts in general since they should never change your settings on you.

* Your VPS Options

I've had yet another experience of a reseller account having something changed without warning - IP address this time.

I just manage a few domains with low traffic, low space WordPress and Drupal sites. I manage all the email through Google Apps.

So I want to manage the DNS externally and not have the IP change under my feet.

5GB disk would be more than enough.

Just want the show run by someone who knows what they are doing and are smart enough to contact customers if they need to change
    something that could affect them.

Is VPS with a fixed IP going to work for me? What sort of spec do I need and price should I expect?
    256 meg Ram Vps should be all you need for sure maybe one that can burst to 512 meg like others have said and then all you need to do is choose a CP if you want one that is.
    Fully Managed | cPanel Shared Hosting | Windows Shared (coming soon) | R1Soft Daily Backups | FFmpeg packages
    Base 10 Hosting LLC
    follow us on twitter - @Base10Hosting

Thanks, all.

Certainly looking for a new host.

I already have the DNS in had - that's why I had the problem when the IP address changed - unforgivable without notice IMO.

Don't know if you know but I seen some providers of VPS have images with Google Apps Engine on them

Sounds like you need something with < 512MB RAM

You could get something like this very easily for under $20 per month!
    General Manager, 100TB
    100TB.com -> 21 Datacenter Locations

Something I'd like to know...

If I install Ubuntu server at home I get Apache, PHP , MySQL etc.

Is that the case with VPS accounts or do I have to install tools myself?

(I can do this - just need to be aware of the time needed!).

brookie I don't use Ubuntu Server myself. I use Debian, which is really similar to Ubuntu, and installing Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc... is really easy even if it doesn't come pre-installed with your server when you first get it. Just do an "apt-get install [whatever]" for software you want to install. I actually prefer when stuff isn't pre-installed for me by the host so I can choose to only add the packages I know I will be needing/using myself. You can save a lot of memory/space this way

Quote Originally Posted by g-a-g View Post
    brookie I don't use Ubuntu Server myself. I use Debian, which is really similar to Ubuntu, and installing Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc... is really easy even if it doesn't come pre-installed with your server when you first get it. Just do an "apt-get install [whatever]" for software you want to install. I actually prefer when stuff isn't pre-installed for me by the host so I can choose to only add the packages I know I will be needing/using myself. You can save a lot of memory/space this way
    Good point.

Thanks.