* Top of the Line - USA VPS

Hello WHT,

We are looking to reduce our monthly costs as we currently have a Gigenet dedicated server that we pay close to $200 a month for which we don't utilize but I got to say the Gigenet dedicated server has been fantastic.

Anyhow, we would be using the VPS for our business site as well as one other small phpbb forum which we need around 100GB of bandwidth in total. The VPS must be located in the USA and it can be managed or unmanaged with no budget. We are looking for a premium VPS and not a "crappy" VPS / host.

Please let me know who you guys consider as the top dogs in the VPS market. One last thing we would prefer cPanel but it is not a must.

PS. Please do not tell me too look at the offer section.

Thanks!
    Last edited by XFactorServers; 11-11-2009 at 07:55 AM.

try servint, I have been with these for over 4 years and been so far great

Keith
    VPS & Dedi with -
    Clustered net (5/10), Rapidswitch (8/10) XtraHost (8/10), RackSRV (9/10) futurehosting (7/10)

Quote Originally Posted by keith007 View Post
    try servint, I have been with these for over 4 years and been so far great

Keith
    Thanks. I'll take a look at them. Keep the suggestions coming

powervps.com - a bit pricier than the others , but still way below your $200/month server.
    Courtix Hosting Blog: Learn more about Web Hosting!

Quote Originally Posted by arbet View Post
    powervps.com - a bit pricier than the others , but still way below your $200/month server.
    Yeah, $60 is not expensive at all Still reduces my costs by almost 75%. I really love my dedicated server but from a business standpoint it's not worth the money I am paying.

Was in the same boat and just went through the process. We chose ServInt and so far I've been very satisfied. I'm surprised that it seems to run a lot faster than my previous dedicated server that had 4GB RAM.

We've only been on it about two weeks and are still in the process of moving over the last few domains, but the performance and the support have been outstanding. It's pretty nice to get help with your questions from people who are responsive, knowledgeable and polite.

Here's my previous thread with some discussion and an initial report.

www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=902496

Quote Originally Posted by rn701 View Post
    Was in the same boat and just went through the process. We chose ServInt and so far I've been very satisfied. I'm surprised that it seems to run a lot faster than my previous dedicated server that had 4GB RAM.

We've only been on it about two weeks and are still in the process of moving over the last few domains, but the performance and the support have been outstanding. It's pretty nice to get help with your questions from people who are responsive, knowledgeable and polite.

Here's my previous thread with some discussion and an initial report.

www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=902496
    Funny, as I read your first post and it's pretty much exactly same boat as I am in. Although the whole thread doesn't seem like anyone suggested a host.

I would like to hear more suggestions geared towards my requirements as well.

Quote Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
    Although the whole thread doesn't seem like anyone suggested a host.
    I had already narrowed it down to KnownHost, Servint, and WiredTree, which seem to be the most frequently recommended and highly regarded here.

I was trying to get a better feel for whether a VPS would, in general, be a good fit for me coming from a dedicated server, particularly concerns about performance.

So far so good, and like I said performance is even better than before, which is a puzzler to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rn701 View Post
    I had already narrowed it down to KnownHost, Servint, and WiredTree, which seem to be the most frequently recommended and highly regarded here.

I was trying to get a better feel for whether a VPS would, in general, be a good fit for me coming from a dedicated server, particularly concerns about performance.

So far so good, and like I said performance is even better than before, which is a puzzler to me.
    Yeah, the first hosts that came to my mind regarding top of the line vps hosts was Wired Tree & Servint. Only thing with Servint they do not have Chicago or Dallas which I prefer.
    Last edited by XFactorServers; 11-11-2009 at 09:00 AM.

See attached screen capture of spreadsheet comparison...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG  

Only thing with Servint they do not have Chicago or Dallas which I prefer.
    That was one of my main considerations, too. We're in TN so VA is the closest to us and most of our users. Plus, for some reason VA sites just always seem faster to me. Maybe there's a lot of bandwidth there because of the government!

P.S. On the ServInt plan I'd rather have more disk space and less bandwidth, but the provided disk space is more than plenty for me right now.

(Is it even physically possible to serve up 1.5TB from one server in a month? I haven't done the math and don't know what kind of network cards they use.)

Also do any of the providers allow IRC BNC ? I am guessing not but worth a shot.

Also do any of the providers allow IRC BNC ? I am guessing not but worth a shot.
    According to their TOS, KnownHost is the only one who does not allow IRC services. Hope this helps.

Great, I do like Wired Tree how they offer a little bit more hard drive space.

I have both a Wired Tree and a Servint VPS, but I don't believe they allow any IRC-related activities on their servers at all. I could be wrong, though. Personally, I'd recommend Linode if you really want to use IRC on your servers as it's clearly stated on their site that it's allowed. FYI, I also have a Linode, by the way

I don't really need an IRC bouncer just thought It be nice to have.

futurehosting.com I am with them for 4 months now and their support is outstanding. Another good thing is their network, they have datacenters all over the US.

note: they have good offers for customers that came over WHT. I saved 50% of the regular price plus doubled Ram and bandwidth..

futurehosting.com currently has the best deals for VPS in the offers thread. Do you know if they operate their own DCs? I've been considering getting a server with them for some time, but wasn't sure if I should 'trust' them. I've been pretty happy with Servint and Wired Tree so far (for cpanel hosting), but they don't have any servers in Dallas. Knownhost is in Dallas, but they're slightly more expensive than the others.

Seeing these are all managed providers, you should check out Linode and Slicehost for unmanaged solutions. They both have very good reviews here.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | GigePipe - High Bandwidth Servers | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    Los Angeles, CA (US West) | Dallas, TX (US East) | Ashburn, VA (US East)

Have you looked at LiquidWeb? They have their own datacenter and their VPS plans start at $60.00

Inmotion hosting also provides VPSes starting at $39.95.

Searching the internet (soon on WHT), I have read positive feedbacks amongst the two providers and I have yet to read any negative reviews of them.

Good luck on your search!

Another vote for Knownhost and ServInt for managed and Linode/Slicehost for unmanaged.

Do take a look at the following providers:-
    • ServInt
    • FutureHosting
    • KnownHost
    • SolarVPS (JVDS)

ServInt sure seems like the choice. Suprised noone has reped WiredTree or Liquid Web.
    Last edited by XFactorServers; 11-11-2009 at 06:36 PM.

ServInt sure seems like the choice. Suprised noone has reped WiredTree or LQWeb.
    Well it may be due to WT's recent outages which is causing people to jump ship. Search around WHT for more information on this.

We had a scheduled network maintenance that went over the time limit in September and we credited people for per our SLA. We have had 100% uptime again since then per Pingdom and Hyperspin. The other thread about an outage was in regards to one VPS server we have out of hundreds that fully failed and had to be restored from backups. It was an unfortunate incident but hardware failures can happen to anyone and we respect some clients are upset about that. We ended up crediting every client effected for a full month of service.
    Last edited by WiredTree Zac; 11-11-2009 at 06:47 PM.
    Zac Cogswell
    WiredTree Fully Managed VPS and Dedicated Hosting | Average Helpdesk Response <15 Minutes, 24x7 Instant Phone Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @WiredTree | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/WiredTree
    zac @ wiredtree.com | toll-free: 1.866.523.8733 local: +1.312.447.0510

Quote Originally Posted by WiredTree Zac View Post
    We had a scheduled network maintenance that went over the time limit in September and we credited people for per our SLA. We have had 100% uptime again since then per Pingdom and Hyperspin. The other thread about an outage was in regards to one VPS server we have out of hundreds that fully failed and had to be restored from backups. It was an unfortunate incident but hardware failures can happen to anyone and we respect some clients are upset about that. We ended up crediting every client effected for a full month of service.
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by arbet View Post
    not pricier any more, now the $59.95 plan has 1GB ram, 40GB disk and 2TB tranfer

http://www.powervps.com/Services/Web.../Features.aspx

and they have upgraded (almost twiced) the resources for the current customers for free!!

Please let me know who you guys consider as the top dogs in the VPS market. One last thing we would prefer cPanel but it is not a must.
    In no particular order, WiredTree, KnownHost and ServInt are the acclaimed VPS host on WHT, according to the various VPS threads.
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    not pricier any more, now the $59.95 plan has 1GB ram, 40GB disk and 2TB tranfer

http://www.powervps.com/Services/Web.../Features.aspx

and they have upgraded (almost twiced) the resources for the current customers for free!!
    Yes, I got an email announcement a few days ago regarding the issue. Let's hope they are able to keep the same level of service and most importantly, support! We'll be able to tell after a few months.
    Courtix Hosting Blog: Learn more about Web Hosting!

I've have great experiences with Hostv and some not so great experiences with other VPS providers that shall remain nameless until I get time to write a review.

Knownhost = uptime. They get the job done with minimum fuss.

I think we will go with ServInt. Any other last suggestions or reps ?