Is twitter a good way of marketing?

Hey,
    <<We have>> been using twitter for quite some time. We have built a medium size list of followers. However I spend time doing this as it is free marketing, but nothing really comes of it. Is it really worth doing? If so, whats the best way of doing it?
    Last edited by bear; 11-10-2009 at 05:59 PM.
    Boutique Host || Driven by our Uptime and Customer Service Record with proven 99.9% uptime.
    Shared and Reseller Packages - cPanel - Softaculous - RVSiteBuilder - CloudFlare.
    Live Chat || 24/7 Technical Support || 30 Minute Average Technical Response Time.

Sometimes it is worth doing. I use twitter. But don't get many customers from it. Its good to be on twitter though.

When I search my company name in google my twitter page is on the first page so I guess it is good for a bit of SEO.
    Hydro Host Affordable UK Web Hosting - cPanel
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting Domain Name Registration - Affiliate Program
    www.hydro-host.net

Twitter can be used as a means of marketing as well as communication with your current client base. See how hostgator utilized twitter to communicate with clients when they had a recent office issue: http://blog.hostgator.com/2009/08/10...-of-an-outage/
    HostGator.com - A worldwide leader in Shared, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Server Hosting.

haven't had too much luck with it but as taylor pointed out, it can be a great took to commuicating with your clients. Since every single one of your clients may not be a follower, it's not the most efficient way either.

ofcourse.. twitter is a good choice of marketing

I use it quite a bit as well and don't see much in the way of direct results, but getting your name out there can't hurt.
    Chris Larkin
    Senior Hosting Consultant
    SingleHop Managed Dedicated Servers
    http://singlehop.com

twitter can't hurt really, just another way of getting your company known.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

When you post your URL on twitter watch your live stats; about 30 people visit the URL instantly. I realise this is mainly bots but that's not a bad thing.
    Hydro Host Affordable UK Web Hosting - cPanel
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting Domain Name Registration - Affiliate Program
    www.hydro-host.net

I agree also ,twitter is a good choice of marketing .

I do not see how it hurts, unless you are stupid enough to use your companies twitter for personal use and act like a child on it (which i have seen people do).

Its usefull for getting out news as well as updating clients when you are having a problem
    If you need help about anything to do with WHT, check out the Helpdesk

Social networks have taken over email in terms of popularity. Twitter is a very popular one way of internet marketing.
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    KeserHosting.Com

No! I get followers only when we post something that is interesting to the community. I don't remember any offering, or commercial information to bring us something. I look at social tools as something that help me to stay in touch with more people. This helps in the process of the branding the company, but only when the post are interesting and/or useful.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

IMHO- twitter is good for online marketing because once you could keep your clients updated instantly of any major (or sometimes minor) happenings of your company, they will build more trust with you. They will feel safer knowing a host cares about them enough to actual inform them in real time to let them know that their site is down or will be down for maintainance purposes.

Another benefit of using twitter is that it is soo simple. So if you have a mobile phone with internet access and you receive information that one of your servers is down, its just a click of an application to get on twitter from your mobile phone to post a short msg that the server is down and you are working on it.

Twitter even has apps for phones which make posting all alot more easier
    If you're the smartest person in the room then you're in the wrong room

Twitter, Facebook and other social networking sites are useful marketing tools as you keep in touch better with your clients as it is a more direct way of communication with them.

In my experience it really depends on your niche and the inherent behavior of that niche. I have one online business website that it really works well with, with many people using it. I have another much larger internet business that my Twitter page is a ghost town, no one hangs out there or even seems to respond to the tweets. It is especially great for bloggers but next to useless for an archeologist.

* you're an archeologist!!?

Quote Originally Posted by online-business-cook View Post
    In my experience it really depends on your niche and the inherent behavior of that niche. I have one online business website that it really works well with, with many people using it. I have another much larger internet business that my Twitter page is a ghost town, no one hangs out there or even seems to respond to the tweets. It is especially great for bloggers but next to useless for an archeologist.
    WOW!!! You're an archeologist!!!! Send me the link to your site in a PM please or post it in another forum so I cud see it. I always wanted to be an archeologist!!!
    If you're the smartest person in the room then you're in the wrong room

It depends on how you use Twitter, blogs or other social media.

If you approach it from the Web 1.0 mindset (publish content / advertise your services) then you're not getting it and as a consequence, you'll not gain much.

If you use them as a tool to communicate with your customers (and potential customers) to solicit feedback, hear their issues and also provide them with value (a reason to follow you, other than self promotion) you stand to gain a lot more.
    So instead of just posting special offers, ask them for feedback; Tweet interesting stuff that may be useful to your customer.

I follow many hosts, even if there is zero chance of me signing up with them because they provide extra value or are just interesting people to hang out with!

Hi
    Not only twitter. you can use Social netw0rking sites.

Neal Jasper.
    Astraxis - Offshore IT Outsourcing Services.
    Server Management | Web Design and Development
    Astraxis.com

I'd say for how easy it is to use it is worth the effort. Even if you don't have a lot of followers people still search posts and filter them. It is another way to communicate with your customers too.

Mark

Twitter Accounts

Our Twitter account has brought some attention to our company. One thing you need to remember is that you must post things daily on twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by online-business-cook View Post
    I kind of agree with you, it does depend a lot of on niche.
    My personal opinion - Lets say for geeks, blogger, and other IT related people twitter is great way of communication.
    But if your niche is local, offering web hosting or web services to an local business men whom have just a little experience in IT field and just simply don't spend much online. Twitter might even look foolish and childish to them.
    UNIX IS user friendly, it's just very choosy about who it calls a friend.

Twitter is a good way to attract prospective customers and convey information to them. I would say all social networking websites are good way to communicate with your prospective and current customers.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/enterpri...r-business.php

In this link you can find 50 ideas on how to use twitter for business
    http://www.chrisbrogan.com/50-ideas-...-for-business/
    Blessen Cherian
    Follow me on twitter.com/blessenonly
    Over a decade plus in the Hosting Industry

Twitter is good if you have a fan following, I don't think webhosting companies would really benefit from it, though it doesn't hurt to have it as a mode of communication with clients.
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

We just created a twitter account although we haven't had time to use it as we feel we can have our time better spent elsewhere.

Twitter helps a lot in the growth of our services..

Don't waste your time

Twitter is good for business and it can get you results if used properly. First, you need to build a good community where its your targeted audience who are following you instead of your friends/colleagues. For that you need to tweet what your targeted audiences likes to hear. So do that and gain a decent size of followers. Then start updating your offers through Twitter, between your normal tweets. I am sure you will see good hits on your website with this method. http://www.chrisbrogan.com/50-ideas-...-for-business/
    Blessen Cherian
    Follow me on twitter.com/blessenonly
    Over a decade plus in the Hosting Industry

Twitter is gold if you know how to use it

hint** retwit =]

Twitter is good way of getting things out to people so that they can discuss them - and retweet them to their friends. If you put up good tweets - you'll get more coverage. I don't think you can say that purely twitter is a sole advertising strategy - it should be considered as part of a wide social marketing campaign. Get yourself on linkedin, forums, twitter, facebook pages, blogs, social bookmarking sites and niches related to your business - and keep them active. Which is easier said than done unless you have someone do it for you.

Twitter is just a way of selling out.

As Twitter is continually growing is used by more and more marketeers in their effort of selling stuff.

It's just another way of wasting your time. I think you better look for ways of improving your products, instead of losing your time to sale your your products to ...another marketeers. Just an opinion

In our experience, Twitter has not brought us many new customers - if any at all.

Twitter however is a great medium for staying in touch with customers and getting information quickly and efficiently to them. If we post a Tweet linking to a new blog article or promotion for example our website will almost immediately be swamped with customers who have read the tweet and followed the link.

Tomorrow morning I am actually attending a business seminar entitled: Social Media Marketing: The Next Generation of Marketing - which should provide our company with some additional guidance when it comes to efficiently utilizing Twitter.

twitter is a good marketing tool.

Twitter is a great way to market events, special incentives, and other business oriented offers to your existing client base. I say existing, because most of the time people are only following you if they already know of you and have some sort of relationship with you.

If you are looking to gain new business and reach into other markets, you are better off paying other people who already have followers in that niche. Create a custom landing page and pay for a tweet to pump visitors to your site. This usually has a good viral effect if you give away a free product or valuable information. Make sure your landing page tracks traffic for each tweet campaign. Play around with it until you find what works.

I suppose with more followers the more likely you are to gaining customers via twitter
    Boutique Host || Driven by our Uptime and Customer Service Record with proven 99.9% uptime.
    Shared and Reseller Packages - cPanel - Softaculous - RVSiteBuilder - CloudFlare.
    Live Chat || 24/7 Technical Support || 30 Minute Average Technical Response Time.

Who is your target market and are they located on Twitter? If so then maybe.

Does your tweets add value to your customers or would they find it boring? If value or something fun/interesting then give it a try.

Twitter is not for every company and could do damage to your business if not done correctly.

Off topic a bit:

The social media marketing seminar that I attended this morning had a lady in the congregation who worked in the education system and was concerned about the use of Twitter. Essentially she explained how their marketing promo's are heavily scrutinized for misspellings and proper grammatical English. She was worried that her "tweets" aren't proper grammar and that her company may be frowned upon for their tweets.

Their answer: It's OK - as most people understand Twitter limits the number of characters that can be used.

Hi, does any one know a good(trusting) app for Linux. To do tweet scheduling. I find the page hits has increased and got 1 customer in a week . But I could get more with a regular tweets. Its a bit hard to do them when your sleeping etc . Plus one to list the people I follow with a check of the ones that follow back. This way after so long you can unfollow them . List is so long when you have to open 2 tabs to do it. Plus the search isn't always right

twitter is good once you have a lot members who follow you.

I think twitter is good for marketing too. Also, it is just a kind of marketing tool. If you use it better, it can help you a lot. How to find the target people and let them follow you, that's the point...