Small Grass Roots Server

Hello Everyone at WHT,

I am looking to setup a purchase a small dedicated server. I currently only have two clients, but am looking to grow. I look to use this box to experiment also.

I would like to spend approx $30 - 70us(lowest overhead), with the possibility of upgrading if I turn a profit. I would like the operating system to be a Centos/Cpanel setup.

I am unsure of the other specs. I am open to hosting invitations and recommendations. Please reply or message me.

Cheers
    True

You can check out the Offers section of this forum for some deals that may meet your requirements. The Cpanel add-on will make it close to the top of the budget though, so raising your budget a bit, or perhaps getting a VPS will be the course you have to take.
    - Donovan K
    Want to monitor and manage your customers Windows systems by Client software, web portal, or mobile phone?
    Automated scripts, patching, and remote access too? Ask me how!

A good VPS , or Cloud VPS may be your answer. Licensing for cPanel is cheaper that way.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

I would personally start off with a vps instead of dedicated server if you only have two clients.
    Otherwise have a look at somewhere like OVH they have cheap dedi's also Burstnet where giving first month free on a load of servers.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

A word of warning gernally cheaper servers have very limited options for upgrading, more expensive servers will have for instances more memory slots, the chasis would be able to take more disc drives, pci/pci-x cards, etc...
    So please enquire and check you can upgrade the server in ways you may need in future.
    Kind Regards
    Christopher Smith

As Zanyhost said, go with a vps initially, it is fairly painless to migrate to a new server.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Not sure what agreement you have with your clients but I myself started out small about a year ago, and after having been a customer of a datacenter down in Texas a year and a half ago or so when a fire started and hundreds if not thousands of servers went offline. I'd say to have backups of the data!

I got myself a VPS that was managed, and then got a second smaller VPS just for failover mail and DNS. Both VPS have cPanel/WHM on them so the main box sends backups twice a week to the second VPS in case anything were to happen. I have just a hand full of clients myself, but I'd like to avoid any potential lawsuits

A decent VPS is more than enough CPU and RAM, just a fraction of the cost. And depending on what you're using it for exactly easy to migrate to another box later on.

After reading everyone's thoughts and ideas, I am beginning to think that a dedicated is not necessary as of yet. Though having full resources would be nice I think I can do without it initially.

dspkable /HiVelocity/ZanyHost :I have ran a few dedicated servers before however I am completely new to the VPS & Cloud Market. The more for less idea is quite appealing.

cscarlet: I agree with the fact that I maybe able to get a cheap dedicated host however the possibiliy of upgrading will be limited if possible at all.

Coolraul: I look forward to surviving long enough to upgrade

stone378: You seem to have server setup similar to what I am afer who are you with and what kind of plan are you on?

What price range should I be looking at for a good vps/cloud? What specs should I consider? Are there any traps to avoid?
    Thank you very much for everyone input so far.

You can get a good vps from awknet for about 20 dollars a month then cpanel on it for another 40 I think so all in all that will run you about 60 a month and awknet servers are on ddos filtered lines so that will keep denial of service down on your end. Good luck and if you need any help do feel free to contact me.

My humble suggestion...

Separate your clients from your experimentation. Put your clients where they will get stable, reliable service. Then you'll be able to experiment, change configurations, restart services, break things and fix things -- all without affecting your clients. When you've got everything figured out you can migrate your clients to your server. Providing stable, reliable service to your clients should (IMO) be the top priority.

Why not setup an instance on a spare computer in your house. Thats how most of us got started. You dont need a screen or keyboard once you have it setup.

Once you have mastered that then you can move on?

Or is it the remote management, SSH etc that you are looking at mastering?

Having just typed all of that and reading your post again there is a chance this where you started unless you started as a reseller? If it is the first then sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    My humble suggestion...

Separate your clients from your experimentation. Put your clients where they will get stable, reliable service. Then you'll be able to experiment, change configurations, restart services, break things and fix things -- all without affecting your clients. When you've got everything figured out you can migrate your clients to your server. Providing stable, reliable service to your clients should (IMO) be the top priority.
    Very True the client is the top priority. By experimentation I mean, php applications, as that is my current bread and butter. As once I have the server setup I really don't want to have to alter it unless to add clients or bill ect. Which is why I want a cpanel.

Quote Originally Posted by WHP123 View Post
    Why not setup an instance on a spare computer in your house. Thats how most of us got started. You dont need a screen or keyboard once you have it setup.

Once you have mastered that then you can move on?

Or is it the remote management, SSH etc that you are looking at mastering?

Having just typed all of that and reading your post again there is a chance this where you started unless you started as a reseller? If it is the first then sorry.
    There is no need to be sorry, I take pride in my heritage of server admin. I run about 3 boxes at home.(and I still adore each and everyone) I think all should learn this way.

I am looking into Liquidweb hosting for vps. What are peoples opinions on Liquidweb?

Since your focus has moved from a dedicated server to a VPS you may want to post in the VPS forum

Quote Originally Posted by True1 View Post
    I am looking into Liquidweb hosting for vps. What are peoples opinions on Liquidweb?
    If you search the VPS forum you'll see dozens of LiquidWeb VPS reviews.

I would also suggest searching for reviews of KnownHost.com, ServInt.net and WiredTree.com