* Virtuosso or Xen

Hi,

Which vm base is better for a vps with 1-2GB ram

Virtuosso or Xen

Regards

Keith
    VPS & Dedi with -
    Clustered net (5/10), Rapidswitch (8/10) XtraHost (8/10), RackSRV (9/10) futurehosting (7/10)

Xen will be more expensive as the host can't oversell.
    Virtuozzo will be faster if the host doesn't oversell, but it can be alot slower. Also always cheaper.
    Its basically personal choice, i would say Virtuozzo is better, but people will and can argue both ways.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

Keith,

do you really want to compare virtuozzo with Xen or do you mean openvz vs xen?
    Waveweb Technologies
    http://www.waveweb.com
    Customer Service Guarantee

so Xen can be a better choice for stability and constant level of performance, but at a price
    VPS & Dedi with -
    Clustered net (5/10), Rapidswitch (8/10) XtraHost (8/10), RackSRV (9/10) futurehosting (7/10)

its not the price Keith, the main difference between openvz and xen is that you cant oversell with xen, but you can with openvz

there are other differences, for example at xen you can have each vps with its own kernel, etc..
    Waveweb Technologies

Im just looking for the best vps for commerical hosting
    I know there are many differences between virt and xen, not keen on openvz

I have taken out a xen based vps at the moment, pricey tho
    VPS & Dedi with -

the main difference between openvz and xen is that you cant oversell with xen, but you can with openvz
    That will be the safer option for me, been with too many oversold vps in the past only leads to headaches and clients complaining

Cheers

Keith
    VPS & Dedi with -

Keith,

your right, but dont forget that Virtuozzo is an interface for openvz

I will say you can start with an openvz based solution and when you need a second server you can go with xen, this is a common approach.
    Waveweb Technologies

Hi,

I have a couple with servint (us) these are proven to be very stable, but starting to get clients that require UK hosting solutions, faster ping etc
    I thought of taking the opt to test out xen and start learning a little more, before hitting a dedicated servers

Cheers

Keith
    VPS & Dedi with -

Quote Originally Posted by waveweb View Post
    your right, but dont forget that Virtuozzo is an interface for openvz
    It's more than just a GUI. There are additional features like SLM RAM compared to OpenVZ's UBC.
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

We decided a long ago to use ONLY Xen, and we do not regret it. Virtuzzo is not doing virtualization, it's doing containers, which are comparable to BSD Jail. With Xen, you'd get a real device for your hard drive, your own dedicated RAM that can't be sold. Security is for sure a lot better with Xen.

As I'll be going to have a speech at the Xen Summit Asia 2009, if you guys have remarks to pass over to the Xen development team, I'll be happy to pass the words. Just let me know.

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

virtuozzo is usually a lot better than openvz, but not necessarily and it can be as good as xen is.
    however that depends on the provider, if they know what they are doing you can have pretty nice perfomance with virtuozzo containers, openvz, or xen. It mostly depends on provider, rather then technology. So you can't really expect that xen is always better.
    If we compare virtuozzo, openvz & xen on quality providers, each technology have certain scenarions where it performs better from each other.
    Last edited by xtrac568; 11-10-2009 at 09:04 AM.

my initial choices were

Virtuosso Futurehosting UK 25pm
    Xen Clustered.net (unmanaged) UK 35pm (currently testing out)

Both 1GB of ram and upgradable to larger resources, +cpanel and seem to be stable companies

So I have to decide which to go with, the price difference is not a great problem as long as performance is good and UK based
    VPS & Dedi with -

try xensmart too

We use Xen so of course we're biased, but by comparison to the others, Xen is much more secure, gives you your own kernel, RAM, HDD, etc as many others have stated. We use FreeBSD with Xen Virtualization, so it's a bit more proprietary, but we also rarely have issues with our VPS systems. This is not meant to be self promotion, just stating how we use Xen and how well it works for us. It's very very stable.
    rootbsd.net :: BSD based hosting for smart people
    FreeBSD VPS :: FreeBSD and OpenBSD Hosting Powered By Xen
    IRC: #rootbsd on freenode
    twitter: @rootbsd

There is a much bigger difference between VZ and Xen. VZ (Virtuozzo or OpenVZ) is OS level virtualization meaning there is a shared kernel, less overhead, and therefore faster speeds for most operations. And yes you can oversell resources such as RAM and disk because of this.

Xen is paravirtualization which means it virtualizes some hardware and runs underneath the base OS system which leads to more isolation but also causes more overhead which can lower performance in some aspects. You cannot oversell ram and disk in Xen but you can oversell CPU and cause load issues with disk i/o the same as VZ.

Hope this helps. Either will be good, if you need custom kernels Xen is definitely the better choice but for standard hosting I think OpenVZ performs better as long as you choose a reliable host, not one that is obviously overselling.

thanks to all, now the question would be who is the best in the uk, excluding small fly by nights
    VPS & Dedi with -

Think Proxmox