Looking for shared hosting

After reading reviews here, I was sold and almost signed up with HostGator. But I read in their TOS that they do not allow Investment sites. I plan to create an investment site in the future, so I dropped the order.

Right now I have 5-6 sites I maintain for me and some friends. One has an SMF forum. The other is an e-shop I develop with Joomla-Virtuemart. The other has an online help (live chat) system. The other sites are static.

My requirements are not big. I don't think I will ever want more than 20 domains. But it is nice to know there is no restriction in databases.

Any recommendations guys? Can I find price/quality of Hostgator that will allow investment site too?

One idea is to get the Baby account with them, and IF I ever make the investment site, to host it somewhere else.

What kind of an investment web site are you hoping to start in the future?

Automated trading system, buy/sell signals etc. Subscription based site.

There are many quality hosting providers that should be able to meet your needs. Whats your disk space, bandwith and budget requirements?
    EGC Solutions
    Extreme Personal & Business Hosting
    99.9% Uptime • 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    Cpanel • Fantastico & Much More!

Quote Originally Posted by EGC-Carlos View Post
    Whats your disk space, bandwith and budget requirements?
    I like the pricing of HG. About 8 usd/month.

I am not sure about my other requirements. Each site's html pages take 2-10 MB. The SMF forum can peak at 3,5 GB /month trafic. The e-shop is not ready yet.

check offer section. check site5 , lunarpages , bluehost, hostmonster

Quote Originally Posted by afam4eva View Post
    You may want try MDD host or pronet host cos their packages are similar to that of Hostgator.
    Pronethosting (NOT Pronethost) offers similar package to HG, for similar price (plus it has an offer for 25 usd first year).

MDD offers much less.

Never heard of them, need to search fr reviews. From what I saw the offer section does not have offers from the hosts I know.

I was starting to think about Downtime host.

Any preference on control panel? Any other random specifications you may have? It sounds to me like most hosts on these forums suit your needs.
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

I like the pricing of HG. About 8 usd/month.

I am not sure about my other requirements. Each site's html pages take 2-10 MB. The SMF forum can peak at 3,5 GB /month trafic. The e-shop is not ready yet.
    Hostgator could be a great alternative, Your budget seems quite efficient and if you are happy paying $8.00 USD per month then that is a great start to a business point.

Have you got any specific features that you require in the forms of Forums/eCommerce?

check offer section. check site5 , lunarpages , bluehost, hostmonster
    Would you have experience with any of these webhosts? You are aware BlueHost and Hostmonster are operated by the same people?

Pronethosting (NOT Pronethost) offers similar package to HG, for similar price (plus it has an offer for 25 usd first year).
    Do take into account that Unlimited is a marketing gimmick, Or, Strategy to lure you into buying their service. You would physically not be able to use the resources that are provided and 99% of the time you would not even use all the features that come with your package.

-Sean
    Last edited by Sparrow-Sean; 11-10-2009 at 04:04 AM.
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) • Shared • Reseller • Cloud VPS • Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider • Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM • R1Soft Backups • 24/7/365 Support • 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com • Customer Service Rep. • Superior Service Guarantee

I suppose the some kind of the general definition in their TOs and in this case that will be really wise to get in touch with them and discuss that with them maybe your web site will be accepted

I mostly used HSphere Control Panel. I do not like it. From what I see CPanel is the standard, so I would prefer this one.

I do not care and I do not want to know what is under the hood (Linux/Windows). My sites were hosted in Unix servers.

As I said, I am building an e-shop with Joomla-Virtuemart.

I know there is no unlimited disk space and traffic. But I would like to feel free on unlimited domains or databases.

I checked and here are my current requirements. Plan-1 is if I move everything. Plan-2 is if I move only some of the domains. Both are small:

Plan 1:
    8 domains
    < 11 GB traffic
    < 1,5 gb disk space.
    5 databases

Plan 2:
    4 domains
    < 4 GB traffic
    < 0,5 gb disk space.
    3 database

Hi!

Do you need two accounts? or you can host everything in 1?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Are you looking for UK or US Based shared hosting?
    What about a VPS or reseller?
    Follow me on Twitter: @conrjac

I am sorry if it was confusing.

Plan-1 is if I move EVERYTHING into one new account.

Plan-2 is if I move SOME of the stuff to the new account. (The rest remains on the old host. Because those domains belong to a friend of mine. But I am his webmaster).

To those people telling me that most hosts can cover me. I am looking for a RELIABLE host, 24/7 live support. Otherwise I can stay where I am now.

I prefer US based hosting, since my target group for business is mostly in US.

I do not want VPS (why would I want this?) or reseller.
    Last edited by bobpit; 11-10-2009 at 12:19 PM.

But I read in their TOS that they do not allow Investment sites.
    I have a hunch that only certain investment sites are their target: the kind that are illegal or borderline illegal, or advising people in how to undertake such activities.

Contact the host and ask if your site (describe the subject) is OK to be hosted there. You could even try to even contact Brent, the owner, via email (brent [at] hostgator.com), or ask for the ticket to be assigned to him?

That would be Downtownhost. Downtimehost would be a very unfortunate name for a hosting company.

I am looking at those:
    Downtownhost
    mddhosting
    MediaLayer
    PrecisionEffect

Downtownhost is the cheapest, offers more resources and the only one that seems to have true 24/7 online support by phone and chat. The others claim to be superfast though.

ok, I just signed up for 2 years with Downtownhost. Cost me $105.78 (with coupon -25% for life).

Hi, bobpit
    I would like to recommend bluehost or hostmonster. They do offer unlimited hosting space, host unlimited domains and 100 sql databases.
    Men, women and kids air jordan shoes,
    air jordan fusion shoes shop online.

If you read, He chose MDDHosting
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com • Customer Service Rep. • Superior Service Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post
    If you read, He chose MDDHosting
    DowntownHost
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Sorry jedito, I read it then totally had a mind failure. I am terrible

Quote Originally Posted by bobpit View Post
    I am looking at those:
    Downtownhost
    mddhosting
    MediaLayer
    PrecisionEffect

Downtownhost is the cheapest, offers more resources and the only one that seems to have true 24/7 online support by phone and chat.
    Correction. Downtownhost's support is not "instant" like I thought. Today at about 9:00 GMT (very late at night for USA) I tried email and online chat and I finally got to talk to them after 2 hours maybe (on online chat, after more than 10 attempts).

So I guess all of the above hosts do have a supporter or supporters 24/7, but if things get busy, you could wait for hours for a response. I want to believe that in case of emergency (site is offline, database corruption etc) their phone will work and they will give you priority.

When I was looking for true 24/7, I wanted it so that I can have an instant answer even for little things. Like today, I wanted to register a new domain in a different country, my account is new and I wanted a verification for the name servers. I was at the last step of completing the transaction and I just wanted a quick answer. I canceled the transaction and waited for Downtownhost's response. No big deal, but not convenient too.

Anyway, when I finally got to him, the supporter was VERY friendly and helpful. It shows immediately he knows how to talk to people.

I may post a review in a month or so.

MDD offers much less.
    Quality over Quantity

Never heard of them, need to search fr reviews.
    Searching for reviews is a good idea even if you have heard of the company.

Downtown host you mean... I don't know if anybody would want to host at Downtimehost

Quality over Quantity`
    Or Quality and Quantity.

... almost signed up with HostGator. But I read in their TOS that they do not allow Investment sites.
    I think I know now why they do not allow investment sites. If a site provides live feed of stock market quotes and if many viewers visit it, it may result in a very large amount of traffic. I guess this does not fit in the "unlimited" plan.

It's not so much the bandwidth, Its more the resource usage of ram and CPU..