2 2.94%
  • Android

14 20.59%
  • Other or None

22 32.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smart Phones for Server Admins

Wanted to know what you guys think about which smart phone is best from the stand point of a server admin. Is it the iPhone, Palm Pre, or an Android? Are there any apps you have found make your life easier? Do you know of any good SSH apps?

Thanks
    Richie

You're missing a whole class of smart phones which are Symbian based phones from manufacturers such as Nokia. I have a s60v3 phone and it does wonders.

I like my iPhone 3GS + iSSH as well as Safari being an amazing mobile browser.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

i Use the iphone quite a bit, some handy utilities for it, ssh terminals, network testers, ping monitors, whois monitors, safari browser. there is quite a lot on the iphone that i use for running servers
    If you need help about anything to do with WHT, check out the Helpdesk

Best Regards,

Mark

Got windows mobile at the moment, and its @$^"... not the best tool I have had
    Before that was a blackberry perl.
    Going to a iPhone next after playing around with them...
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

Sony Xperia X2, with Kayako Mobily, Putty. I like Windows Mobile based Smart Phones.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ZanyHost View Post
    Got windows mobile at the moment, and its @$^"... not the best tool I have had
    Before that was a blackberry perl.
    Going to a iPhone next after playing around with them...
    I used the Iphone before, still prefer windows mobile based phones, I gave the Iphone to my wife.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I am using windows mobile 6.1.

Greetings:

Blackberry.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

I don't leave home without my iPhone! iSSH has come in handy a few times.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Android has a really nice ssh client - connectbot.

iPhone

iSSH
    Hydro Host Affordable UK Web Hosting - cPanel
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting Domain Name Registration - Affiliate Program
    www.hydro-host.net

iPhone 100%. Had one since day one. Its not even really a phone its more a computer. If you learn how to use one properly you will imagine how you went without one for so long.
    Boutique Host || Driven by our Uptime and Customer Service Record with proven 99.9% uptime.
    Shared and Reseller Packages - cPanel - Softaculous - RVSiteBuilder - CloudFlare.
    Live Chat || 24/7 Technical Support || 30 Minute Average Technical Response Time.

We're using the HTC Hero (Android) and no issues here. Very capable. Never liked my winmo phone. Don't want AT&T so I can't get iPhone. Loved the Pre, but no visual vm, no reliable soft keyboard (hardware one was cramped), and no voice commands caused me to switch to the hero. Though the WebOS OS is very promising and truly the best smartphone os, in my humble opinion). It combines the beauty of the iphone with multitasking capabilities. Hopefully it will catch on to make better phones and grow the app catalog.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

For tech issues, I cant say, but as far as CRM/Sales etc goes, you can't beat a blackberry - instant emails/IM etc. Also handy for collaboration between staff too.

Quote Originally Posted by teck View Post
    You're missing a whole class of smart phones which are Symbian based phones from manufacturers such as Nokia. I have a s60v3 phone and it does wonders.
    Nokia N97 here, great little SSH client and web browser on it.
    Exoware.net
    Professional EU/UK Web Hosting Solutions
    Linux Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting and Dedicated Server Hosting
    Excellent, personal support round the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    I used the Iphone before, still prefer windows mobile based phones, I gave the Iphone to my wife.
    Yeh windows mobile can be good, but just too laggy for me
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

Quote Originally Posted by Exoware View Post
    Nokia N97 here, great little SSH client and web browser on it.
    had N97 for bout a week, really didnt like it, kept crashing even after was replaced by one from a different batch.

Am now running on the Palm Pre, best phone i have used to date, defo an iPhone killer, just need to find ssh for it
    If you need help about anything to do with WHT, check out the Helpdesk

Black Berry Storm 9530 and love it

HTC Tytn with Windows Mobile 6.1 here. PuTTY + Windows RDP works for me.
    -Joe @ Secure Dragon LLC.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

I use a HTC Touch Pro 2 + Putty + Remote Desktop + VNC

How do you not have Black Berry on the list .... lol

Quote Originally Posted by ZanyHost View Post
    Yeh windows mobile can be good, but just too laggy for me
    Yeah, my WinMo phone tends to lag every now and then, but it's great. You really need to pay for a decent SSH client (pocketputty is super slooooww), but I like the fact I can RDC to a computer in a pinch.

The iPhone doesn't really interest me, but I wouldn't mind an Android phone.
    I used to run the oldest commercial Mumble host.

iphone right now but i am also going to get a htc magic for the site(htc hero for at&t)

http://www.htc.com/www/product/magic/gallery.html

I guess I must be one of the only people that do not provide smartphones for my server techs.

I do however provide a company laptop with mobile broadband, and a normal cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by DephNet[Paul] View Post
    I guess I must be one of the only people that do not provide smartphones for my server techs.

I do however provide a company laptop with mobile broadband, and a normal cell phone.
    you could just give the iphone and a laptop. because you can use Bluetooth to transfer internet.

Quote Originally Posted by iloveunicorns View Post
    you could just give the iphone and a laptop. because you can use Bluetooth to transfer internet.
    And pay three times as much as I do now?

My current bill, per person per month, 20+VAT, for an iPhone that would go up to atleast 60+VAT.

Quote Originally Posted by DephNet[Paul] View Post
    And pay three times as much as I do now?

My current bill, per person per month, 20+VAT, for an iPhone that would go up to atleast 60+VAT.
    up to you man ... in the usa it iphone is like 79 dollars a month

phone independent is 39 dollars and internet independent is 49 dollars

so in the usa iphone will be cheaper

I'm thinking about getting the T-Mobile Pulse (since it's cheap ). Uses android. Time to upgrade my 4 year old phone (technology changes to much!)

Anyone got one? Is it any good?

Quote Originally Posted by iloveunicorns View Post
    up to you man ... in the usa it iphone is like 79 dollars a month

phone independent is 39 dollars and internet independent is 49 dollars

so in the usa iphone will be cheaper
    The US is almost always cheaper for technology, thanks to exchange rates constantly changing and VAT.
    Hello

I switched from AT&T to TMobile and regretted it for the longest time. Every phone I had got horrible signal no matter where I was (I even had 2 Motorola phones that had "No Service" when in my front right pocket!). I unlocked my old HTC Tytn and finally get a decent signal and 3G connection almost anywhere. I also was able to get the unlimited data + laptop tethering for $20/month thanks to some helpful advice from their customer support! I still miss AT&T, but TMobile is much more tolerable now.
    -Joe @ Secure Dragon LLC.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

I don't think I've ever herd anyone say they miss AT&T. If you want extended service areas Verizon is number one, but I have sprint and have never had any issues except for in the desert between LA and Vegas. And even then, it was only for a short distance.

May sound like im dumb but im using the Sidekick LX it sucks, I can't wait till I get a new phone.

Quote Originally Posted by PCS-Chris View Post
    I use a HTC Touch Pro 2 + Putty + Remote Desktop + VNC
    Ditto. Best keyboard I've every used on a phone and the WVGA (480 X 800) resolution makes it very usable for websites, spending some time in a SSH shell or using RDP.

Don't care for pocket putty, Token2Shell/Mobile is an awesome SSH client though.

-Jerret

Without a doubt, BlackBerry. Until the iPhone comes to a more capable data network, I'd rather take Sprint's 3G (and soon 4G) data network over any other provider.

I have a droid and love it. The only issue we have ran into is using it with cisco ipsec vpn's. You can root the phone and get this to work, but the default vpn has issues with cisco. There is a huge bug list on google bug tracker on this exact issue. Hopefully this will get resolved in an update.

The iPhone defiantly helps things out a lot. I am always on the run and having 3G with a SSH client and all my emails in my pocket is great. The ease of use is so nice, on my blackberry it would take a few minutes to open my email and refresh (it was on edge), on the iPhone i can SSH instantly and emails come right away. Cant get anything better

The droid kinda looks like just another cheapo rip off... But who knows. I have a friend that has been part of the development team and he finds it, obviously amazing..

For me, my iPhone has meant I no longer have to carry a laptop everywhere I go. There's nothing I cannot do with it that I did with my laptop. The only real difference between them is the fact that I can put my phone in my pocket. Could not do that with my iBook.

Its been a real lifesaver and enables me to reboot machines from anywhere, talk, text, ssh, surf, ANYTHING!!! Hell, I can even bill customers with it. Its just been a wonderful tool.
    Jeremy Anthony Kinsey ([email protected]) - 262-248-6759
    Budget Dedicated Servers/Colocation HostDrive.Com
    cPanel Hosting/Dedicated Servers HostingLizard.Com
    19 Years in the Hosting Business!

I don't know why you think the droid looks like a knock off of the iPhone. I love all things Apple, but the droid looks NOTHING like the iPhone. The droid is boxy, the iphone curvy. The droid has a keyboard, the iPhone does not. The droid has widgets, the iPhone does not. Android looks nothing like the iPhone OS so I don't know where you're seeing the similarities. Have you seen one up close?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast