WHM: Cloud vs VPS vs Dedicated

I've just spent 20-odd minutes on the live chat to someone at SoftLayer to ask if there is any advantage using Cloud Servers over a VPS / Dedicated for a WHM/CPanel system. Unfortunately I didn't receive any answer other than "WHM would work in a Cloud server with certain types of OS only". Strange answer.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

clouds are essentially vps's running on nodes with centralized storage (san's or so). They might also include some node redundancy, such as if one node is down your vps will come up on others etc..

Advantages, vps systems have more fault tolerance, such as raid disks etc VS dedicated's and are cheaper. (I understand you can have raid on a dedicated server, but that will just bring your costs higher..)

Don't really know what they are on about to be honest...

I think the main difference between the two is the word "Cloud" implies that they are using a system where machines can be migrated, expanded and spread around so that failures of hosts cause no effect to the running VM's. Also they can provide alot higher CPU power using multiple servers.

A VPS is generally more specific to a single host and doesn't move around all the time, it can be migrated but not as "smooth" as a cluster also resources are more limited and hopefully not but other VMs on the host can bring down your performance.

VPS's are generally alot cheaper though. Not really an expert with clouds though, and the area is very experimental so there are many meanings to the word which doesn't help.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

I am willing to bet he might have been a little confused by the question.

We host our VPSs on a cloud solution so it has fail over, migration, redundancy, and all of that fun stuff.

To answer your question a Cloud system would be substantially more powerful and have the safety of redundant fail over. A VPS depending on the host might not have that redundancy like we do but a VPS and Dedicated could have the same power as a small Cloud system. Also, if you think you might be expanding it would be easier to do with a VPS solution than a Dedicated since a good host should be able to allocate those resources to a VPS or at the very least create you a new VPS and migrate for you.

I am also confused with the question. Good to hear the other replies

Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Etherwood View Post
    I've just spent 20-odd minutes on the live chat to someone at SoftLayer to ask if there is any advantage using Cloud Servers over a VPS / Dedicated for a WHM/CPanel system. Unfortunately I didn't receive any answer other than "WHM would work in a Cloud server with certain types of OS only". Strange answer.

A cloud server at SoftLayer is basically a Xen (hardware) VPS on a cluster of servers using centralized storage. This means that you are much less likely to go offline (but it can still happen).

As far as your scripts will know you are on a Dedicated and you would need a full dedicated server cPanel/WHM license because cPanel won't see the system as a VPS.

One other thing that is nice is that a Cloud Server can reboot in about 10 seconds where as a hardware server usually takes about 5 minutes

Beyond that - depending on what you actually need a regular OpenVZ/Virtuozzo VPS may meet your needs without the additional cost of the more expensive cPanel license.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Etherwood View Post

Well, cpanel only works with certain OS's - so, not really a strange response..

you can certainly run cpanel in a cloud.. a cloud is nothing more then a specialized VM that will "self heal" to a new physical server in case of hardware failure.. this is typically accomplished by having storage attached to a centralized SAN, and usually (hopefully), something high end like lefthand, EMC, NetAPP, equallogics, etc... after that, typically, you would have the capability to add resources as you needed them (cpu, ram, disk, etc) all dynamically, and on the fly, and only being billed for what you use, while you use it..

a cloud is just infrastructure on demand... there are various technologies that enable this - but, end of the day, you are just paying for instances with a certain amount of capacity.. what you choose to run on that (ie cpanel or whatever) - is strictly up to you..